Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LA Dodgers trade partner?

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Are you building for 2013 or the future? Getting a pair of average at best 30+ starters for a valuable trade chip hurts the future? If you are going to trade perkins then go after a nice prospect like zach lee or similar?
    Me? Personally... I was all for the rebuild but I waver back and forth on it... However, TR doesn't seem to be hell bent on rebuilding... I think he's trying to both and if he is... He's got to address 2013 Pitching and Worley isn't enough.

This trade would be clearly for 2013 and 2014 if the options are picked up.

When I look at 2013... The pitching staff still needs addressing. The Free Agent names being tossed around for the Twins are questionable but we do need them. Capuano for possibly two years makes more sense than Lannan for a year.

After Diamond... Worley is the only addition thus far and that gives us 2. Capuano and Harang are better than the names being discussed... Bringing in a couple starters from LA would bring us up to 4. Gibson would Make 5 eventually. I think Pelfrey and Myers would give us 6 and 7... One guy could work in the pen. DeVries and Deduno would be 8 and 9 at Rochester... And then I'm looking at the rotation and saying... Not Amazing but we have some arms that can keep us in ball games and some depth when the injuies happen.

If we are kept in ball games. We will find out what kind of position players we really have... Our offense isn't Texas Rangers like but it isn't bad even after the Span/Revere deals. I'm not sure the Orioles are laughing at our offense for example. It's comparable. Things can happen if Pitching can keep you in.

I'm all for picking up Zach Lee and moving it all down the line... I just don't believe the Dodgers would do that. They are thin on the farm. They are loading up at the MLB Level and I don't think they want to weaken the Farm when they have MLB Depth for trade options... Where they are not thin is MLB Starting pitching so therefore a trade for it would be reasonable. I'm sure they are trying to trade it. It makes sense.

That's the reason I think it's a match. We are beyond thin for 2013 Starting pitching and Perkins would be someone that should interest them. I could be convinced to punt 2013... Unless there is something like this. Which seems to make some sense.

We would just have to find a new closer... The Market for closers has been soft and we would have money to address it after this trade.

There are just my thoughts... Nothing more... Nothing Less...

To answer your first question... I'm not sure... I guess as long as Willingham, Doumit, Mauer and Morneau are on the roster... It looks like they want to win in 2013.

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It doesn't seem to me as if the Dodgers are interested in shedding payroll.
    Bingo! If there's a team that has starting pitching depth that might look to make a deal to save money, it's the Royals... and the price increases (or it should) when trading within the division... so realistically, the Twins are left in the cold here too (twice!).

And honestly, the Twins are looking for stopgap-type guys to bridge the gap to the young'ns... take a fliar on a younger-ish guy coming off a down year (Jurrjens/Lannan) or a guy looking to pitch in a different role (Villanueva or Myers - if you're ok with an older guy), just to see if he could help out in a couple years when the team is looking to compete.

If the Dodgers were looking to give Capuano away, great... but I think they'd be more willing to give TR a couple million just to hang up. (Cause it's obvious "millions" isn't a big deal to them.)
    I agree... The Dodgers won't give away Starters... and the MLB Needs that they have... Well.. They don't have many... Catcher... 2B... and Bullpen... Mainly a lefty in the Bullpen.

But... I think it would be crazy to hang on to that much pitching... Kershaw, Grienke, Beckett, Ryu, Billingsley.. Plus Lilly, Capauano and Harang. You'd figure that two of them will have to be moved.

Wouldn't Perkins be near the top of the list of Bullpen Lefties? I certainly don't see Perkins as a giveaway.

I don't know what's possible... Just seems like a match.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Are you building for 2013 or the future? Getting a pair of average at best 30+ starters for a valuable trade chip hurts the future? If you are going to trade perkins then go after a nice prospect like zach lee or similar?
    I get the first question but the second two are confusing the hell out of me. Are they answers posed as questions? You're tricksy. Attachment 2846
    I don't know why I did that. Vert tricksy.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGunn#22 View Post
    First off, I agree A. Sanchez is unrealistic. Marcum or E. Jax more likely. Interesting topic though, the Dodgers will have to move some SP's. It comes back to the question of what we would have to offer them. I wouldn't give any prospects up for Capuano, Harang or Lilly. The Dodgers probably don't need any salary relief the way they're spending, but how about this scenario...We trade Willingham for Capuano and Carl Crawford and have the Dodgers pick up 10-mil of his salary for the rest of the deal. We get better defensively and we get a top of the order bat which we are currently missing. Starting rotation for 2013: Marcum, Capuano, Worely, Diamond, Hendricks/Gibson. That's a tremendous upgrade over the last 2 seasons. Lineup:
    Crawford LF
    Hicks CF
    Mauer C
    Morneau 1B
    Doumit DH
    Plouffe 3B
    Parmalee RF
    Dozier 2B
    Floriman SS
    We're missing the power of Willingham, but we're much better defensively and on the mound. Crawford is a risk but I think this is workable once he builds his value back up, the Twins could flip him at the trade deadline.
    If we are not getting a piece for the future i vote no.....

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Gordon is a decent SS with potential and lots of speed. He is on the trading block and I like him better than what we currently have. I was just thinking of a proposal. if anyone has other ideas please suggest what you think they are worth to acquire as Campuano helps in the short run and Gordon could be our SS for the next 4-6 years.
    look at his rf/9 not all that good

Johnnydakota: You're probably right in pointing out if we don't get a piece for the future. But the Dodgers have a commodity that teams will value...namely major league caliber pitching. I doubt they give up any young talent when they can deal major league arms to stockpile young talent.
    Riverbrain makes a good point about possible interest in Perkins. I know I got kwak's motor running with the suggestion of Crawford, but the only reason I brought Crawford up, is that to get one or two big league ready pitchers we might have to take something back that they want to rid themselves of. Dee Gorden is interesting as a #9 hitter and SS. I'm not sure how he compares defensively to Floriman or Dozier. If he can get on base at all, he could steal 60.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234