Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would it take for you to trade Joe Mauer?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Any trade of Mauer would require Bogaerts, Lawvarney & Bucholz or Lester, plus a hard throwing lower level arm as well. Maybe we throw in a scrap or two of chum from the minors, but I wouldn't be happy with any lesser return than that.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to figure out why most of you would want established guys back.. Anyone trading for Mauer is doing so b/c they are trying to win now. I'd empty their farm system for him. I could see a catcher swap as part of the deal just so the Twins have someone to start at C, but there's no way I'd trade Mauer without getting at least 3 blue chip prospects that can slot into that 2014/15 timeframe... that's the only way this fan could stomach it, and as it is, the casual fans aren't going to like it one bit.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why most of you would want established guys back.. Anyone trading for Mauer is doing so b/c they are trying to win now. I'd empty their farm system for him. I could see a catcher swap as part of the deal just so the Twins have someone to start at C, but there's no way I'd trade Mauer without getting at least 3 blue chip prospects that can slot into that 2014/15 timeframe... that's the only way this fan could stomach it, and as it is, the casual fans aren't going to like it one bit.
    Exactly. Boston, for instance, wouldn't give up any established pitchers. It's hard to see how anyone else would either given the point is clearly to win in the next 1-2 years with Mauer. I still think 3 top 10 prospects would be required, including a no. 1. In the above scenario I asked for a SS, SP, and 3B. I think they could sweeten the deal by agreeing to pay the entirety of Mauer's 2013 season and then letting Boston deal with the rest of the contract. I guess they could switch out Bogaerts for Iglesias and Webster for Barnes.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 195 Posts
    Bauer+Skaggs+Montero+Parra+Upton

Obviously I don't want to trade Mauer, I would have to name my dog something else then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12