Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another one gone

Another one gone

Well, now I am a little disappointed. This is the pitcher that I wanted in the off-season

Brandon McCarthy signs with the Diamondbacks....bummer.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-mccarthy.html

And now I read that it was a 2 year $15.5 million dollar deal....and a little bit more disappointed.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Well, that is not much money....maybe two other good pitchers will see that and take the Twins offer....still hoping.

Yeah I though he would get more (around 10 per year), I would have liked if the Twins went 2/18.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This could be both good and bad. I think you could argue that Shaun Marcum isn't that much more valuable than McCarthy. Perhaps the Twins could still get him for 2/18.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Man, that one stings a little more than the others have so far.

Right now, a player is out there asking what you'll give me. I want two years. Will you go a third. Yes or no. Give me a dollar. If you say: "Two years at $12 million" I am not going to say "not enough." I'm going to call up that team that offered me two years at $15 million. You have to put your best offer out there, which means a player gets to call a bluff, or accept what they are really worth.

So right now, for $16 or so million, the Twins could've had Blanton and McCarthy and still have $5 million to play with for a non-tender, and maybe something extra to sign Capps again (no one has mentioned Capps getting any interest).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seriously? The Twins would not go 2 year 16 million on McCarthy?

Face it guys....we arent going to sign a decent pitcher this year....

Quote Originally Posted by Tcrose3636 View Post
    And now I read that it was a 2 year $15.5 million dollar deal....and a little bit more disappointed.

That dollar figure tells me there's more background to this story than any of us know because he's been projected to earn at least $10 million per season for that amount of years. Maybe he preferred to stay of the West Coast but the Angels, Dodgers, Padres, or A's weren't interested? In my opinion, this deal is perfect from the Twins standpoint. I was never a big fan of McCarthy's because of his injury history, the average annual salary doesn't inflate the market on comparable SP's, and this takes the Diamondbacks out of the market for a SP. Here's now hoping the Brewers sign Dempster, the Rangers sign Greinke, and the Dodgers sign Lohse. That would leave Anibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson (my two favorite SP's on the market not named Greinke) and the Twins, Tigers, Royals, and maybe the Blue Jays, Angels, and Red Sox to compete with. Other pitchers still available we might target are Marcum, Villanueva, and Saunders.

I'm not totally punting 2013 even after trading Span and Revere. Although outstanding defensively, Span and Revere brought little to no pop to our lineup. Replace them with Hicks and Parmalee and you could argue our lineup could be better. Now insert Anibal Sanchez, Worley, Diamond, Saunders, Hendricks/Gibson/Deduno/Blackburn and we have a solid not stellar starting rotation. If at the trade deadline we're out of playoff contention we could trade Morneau, Carroll, and Willingham for some good prospects.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Yes, this one is a bummer. Running out of appealing FA candidates, Mr. Ryan.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Yes, this one is a bummer. Running out of appealing FA candidates, Mr. Ryan.
    Wait, what? You're not turning in your binoculars and pith helmet yet, are you?

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Shoot, I though McCarthy was one of the more attainable FA on the market. I really don't think we'll get Sanchez or Jackson no matter what we offer.

I would guess we'll end up being stuck with some less than impressive names.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    McCarthy is a decent pitcher, but lets not be crazy. At 28, he has thrown over 110 IP only twice and over 115 only once.

The Twins need a guy they can count on week in and week out, they dont have the depth to be replacing injured pitchers throughout the year (look at what happened last year when Baker and Pavano went down!)

The Diamondbacks are the perfect place for him, when he is on the field he makes them better, but if he misses time (likely) you have 3 of the best prospects in baseball knocking the door to replace him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post

Who's to say the Twins wouldn't pay that price? Maybe, just maybe, all these pitchers would rather play for teams that haven't finished last in two straight years.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcrose3636 View Post
    Yeah I though he would get more (around 10 per year), I would have liked if the Twins went 2/18.
    diamondbacks good team , 2 years 15.5 million .
    minnesota t´ins bad team 2years 24 million...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    justin morneau has lower value at trade deadline... we have 3 options with justin
    ! trade him now, so the team has a chance to recieve a draft pick if he is offered a qualifing offer in the next off season
    2 extend him now or during the season hoping to get a hometown discount
    3 watch him walk away hoping he had a good enough year to offer him a qualifing contract(top 125) to recieve a compensation draft pick in 2014

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post

Who's to say the Twins wouldn't pay that price? Maybe, just maybe, all these pitchers would rather play for teams that haven't finished last in two straight years.

I think Ryan would be a fool to pay that price. Like Dave said, he's been over 115 innings once in his career. You don't hand a guy like that 16M on a guaranteed contract.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
    Haven't heard anyone mention this but he is coming off brain surgery, could be why his offer came in slightly lower then expected

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not upset the Twins didn't sign another injury prone, noodle-armed starter that would require the terrible Twins defense to get 80% of his outs for him.

Something that came out over the winter meetings is Terry Ryan’s philosophy on payroll, that a team should not pay 50-60% of payroll in three or four guys. Simply stated, it’s not a recipe for success. This seems to be the reason that kept the Twins out of the Zack Greinke and Anibal Sanchez sweepstakes.

With Brandon McCarthy signing a 2-year $15.5 million contract, I get the sense that the Twins may not be afraid of a multi-year contract as long as it’s annual is somewhere below $10 million. Does that mean that the contact with Edwin Jackson was only out of courtesy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast