Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Which trade produced more value for the Twins?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Revere trade -- by a wide margin

14 25.93%
  • The Revere trade

24 44.44%
  • About the same

12 22.22%
  • The Span trade

3 5.56%
  • The Span trade, by a wide margin

1 1.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which trade was the better deal for the Twins?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I vote about the same. Yes, Revere brought back more quantity, but Span brought back a potential ace. I value elite players more than several average players. My opinion on pitching is that a front-line ace is an extremely important player on any team, thus, I value Meyersie more than the animal and Mays. Considering how the CF market is right now, the Twins did the right thing in trading from a strength. One thing everyone must remember, is that Revere is young and will still get better; while Span is in the pinnacle of his career. Both players drastically improve the respective teams, which could meet in the NLCS next season.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    The Revere trade is a clear winner. A bona fide major league starting pitcher (Worley) would have been a very good trade for Revere. But to recieve a second pitcher who rates as a decent set-up guy in 1.5 to 2 years as a floor, with potential for growth to a closer, and reasonable possibility as a decent starter make for quite a haul. I'm guessing May is a younger, LH, Perkins. Span is a proven major league CF with 3 rather affordable years on his contract--so a lot more value than Revere. Myers is an enigma, same possibilities as May but is has potential to be a front-of-the-rotation guy. What we posters are lacking is the character issue of these three new Twins. It's just too early to ascertain what's on the inside of these guys--whereas, there weren't any character flaws exposed by either Span or Revere.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    The Revere trade is a clear winner. A bona fide major league starting pitcher (Worley) would have been a very good trade for Revere. But to recieve a second pitcher who rates as a decent set-up guy in 1.5 to 2 years as a floor, with potential for growth to a closer, and reasonable possibility as a decent starter make for quite a haul. I'm guessing May is a younger, LH, Perkins. Span is a proven major league CF with 3 rather affordable years on his contract--so a lot more value than Revere. Myers is an enigma, same possibilities as May but is has potential to be a front-of-the-rotation guy. What we posters are lacking is the character issue of these three new Twins. It's just too early to ascertain what's on the inside of these guys--whereas, there weren't any character flaws exposed by either Span or Revere.
    Can you imagine a future rotation that had both Brett Myers and Alex Meyer? I admit to already mistakenly adding or subtracting the "s" where appropriate. Gardy will be sure mangle their names and give the media the wrong information on which pitcher is actually pitching, in what role, and when. How does he decide on their nicknames? Oh, the potential enigmas!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I'm not sure you can call either trade a "clear winner" just yet. It will take time to judge that. Worley could blow out his arm tomorrow and May could never make it, while Meyer turns into that ace...who knows. I agree that Revere brought back more quantity, which is good. Span brought back a better ceiling. I honestly didn't think Revere would get one decent pitcher, much less two.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I just love this site. Whenever I have a question, the quality of the responses is amazing. I just want to mention how much I appreciate everyone here. You are incredible fans and your insights make life so much richer.
    If only the discussion of pitching or of management could have the same rationality

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12