Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Which trade produced more value for the Twins?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Revere trade -- by a wide margin

14 25.93%
  • The Revere trade

24 44.44%
  • About the same

12 22.22%
  • The Span trade

3 5.56%
  • The Span trade, by a wide margin

1 1.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which trade was the better deal for the Twins?

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which trade was the better deal for the Twins?

It seems to me that the Twins got a great deal from the Phillies for Revere, but a less great deal from the Nats for Span?

Who produced more value -- Revere or Span? And please feel free to elaborate your reasoning after you take the poll.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely the Revere trade as of now. The Twins got a #3 in Worley and a possible #2 in May. Although, I would say the best player overall of the 3 is Meyer. Meyer is also the highest risk and I could realistically see him as a power reliever. Alex Meyer would have to pitch like a true ace for the Span trade to be better.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The floor on the Revere trade is higher. The Ceiling on the Span trade is higher. I think Meyer has a pretty good shot at being that ace, based on what I've seen/read so far. May is a bigger risk as he regressed a bit last season, though we do get an established #3/4, that even if he needs TJ, should provide some value on the deal.

The Revere trade. At a minimum, we know Worley will pitch for the Twins, and then they received some possible help for the future as well with May. While Alex Meyer may have more talent than either of them, the chances of him ever pitching for the Twins are slim. He could get hurt, have difficulty making the jump to AA etc..... So few of these high end prospects ever make it.

I wonder if Ryan could have received more for Span if he had waited. I'm not sure anyone anticipated Angel Pagan would get such a large contract, and with Michael Bourn holding out for who knows what, trading for Span would have been a much better option for several teams.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Meyer has the best ceiling but getting a ML now starter and a solid prospect like May makes it a tie, in my opinion.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glunn... The only pitcher I've seen is Worley and I think he's a solid pick up.

As for Meyer and May... Meyer looks like the better prospect but Meyer didn't come with Worley so I gotta go with Revere.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd give the slight nod to the Revere trade for a few reasons:

The pros:
    1. One ML guy, one AA prospect.
    2. Revere is not as good a player as Span.

The con:
    1. Meyer is a better prospect than May.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I believe two or three years down the road, we'll agree Meyer was the best of the three players received in these two trades.

Span is a much better player than Revere and the Twins got a very good pitching prospect for him.

Revere is a 4th OF talent who netted a possible #3 pitcher for the next 5 years and a future pitcher...so help now and later.

So while the Span trade got us the better talent, the disparity between Revere's talent and what we got for him, make that trade better when looking at what we got compared to what we gave up.

It's important to acknowledge that the Phillies probably don't make the Revere trade a week ago, when the Twins parted with Span. In many ways, taking another centerfielder out of the market forced the Phillies' hand and required them to up the ante in order to get what they felt they needed. Conversely, if the trade with Philadelphia happened a week ago, it would've been interesting to see if the Twins would've parted with Span at all and/or required more to give him up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere doesn't bring Meyer.

The Twins needed that front line pitching prospect.

May has upside but there is also a good chance that he will never command his stuff well enough to find success.

I went with about the same

- Although Span's contract was very team friendly, Revere was even more cost effective and under team control for longer.
    - Worley is coming back from an injury and while a very good get, he's realistically a #3 or #4 starter on a good team. May has a lot to figure out before we get too excited, his command/control regressed in 2012. At the very least he should be an excellent late inning reliever.
    - Meyer has the highest ceiling of the group, isn't too far behind May in progression and showed improvement in his command in 2012.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Worley is a #4 pitcher on a team who has 3 HOF pitchers. For the Twins we are looking at our Ace for the next two years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Not sure which TRADE will be better, but the Revere DECISION appears to be more impressive to me.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Worley is a #4 pitcher on a team who has 3 HOF pitchers. For the Twins we are looking at our Ace for the next two years.
    What makes you think that, Twerp?

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Point taken, he's a #1 in a terrible rotation and #4 in an outstanding one. So it's safe to say on a competitive team he's a #3 or #4.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Not sure which TRADE will be better, but the Revere DECISION appears to be more impressive to me.
    That's a good way of putting it.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I went with middle. Worley could be a bust after surgery and May is not a guarantee Meyer could be a bust but the chances are smaller. Meyer could also be a top of the rotation pitcher or a solid #2. Those players do not grow on trees. About even.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I agree birdwatcher. TR mentioned that the trade with the Phillies had been going on for some time. I wonder if they always wanted Revere? I have a feeling that TR was shocked by the FA center field money thrown around after the span trade. After the Span trade, I think TR had every intention of keeping Revere, but his hand was forced when he saw the return he could get at that moment. Supply and demand is a crazy thing. Span was and is the better player, yet Revere brought back the better return.

I give TR a lot of credit for taking action, even after he probably realized that he traded Span a little too quickly. I like both trades, but I think we will feel the Revere return was better looking back 2 or 3 years from now.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Revere got a better return and he was the less valuable player. It has to be revere

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just love this site. Whenever I have a question, the quality of the responses is amazing. I just want to mention how much I appreciate everyone here. You are incredible fans and your insights make life so much richer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast