Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a chance on Figgins?

Take a chance on Figgins?

I know Chone Figgins has been bad since he left the Angels. Really one of the biggest free agent busts in Mariner history if not in all of baseball. That said, the Twins need a lead off hitter, they want someone to compete at thirdbase. Figgins can do both and can play second and the outffield. I wouldn't do anything more than a one year minor league deal with a spring training invite. After batting less than .200 the last 2 years, I don't think anyone else is going to give him anything more. He was a good player for the Angels and a bad player for the Mariners. Maybe a change of uniforms is all he needs. If not, the Twins release him or leave him in the minors.

Could be one of those low risk, high reward situations the Twins seem to covet.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Especially after today, I definitely like him at $1M or less as a backup 3B and now a CF option.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    It's more like a low risk, decent reward situation. He makes a lot more sense today than he did a week ago, and I'd probably make the offer to him. If he hits .250 and gives them some depth in the OF & IF, that's a decent reward. But the worst case scenario is that Gardy falls in love with him, and plays him regularly, and bats him at the top of the order, while he hits .180 for two months until one of the AAA guys are close enough to ready to force the issue. That's a makes the risk higher than most might think.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Why not just go with Mastro and Benson while you wait for Hicks? Gardy loves guys like this....what does he bring to the team that Mastro and Benson don't?

Play Plouffe every day at 3B, see what you have. Play Mastro/Benson, see what you have.

Ah, Snepp....thanks. Another thread....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
    Quit being lazy, and copy and paste the entire thread here.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would not mind one bit if we signed him for depth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I would not mind if we gave him a minor league contract but that is as high as I'll go for someone that has hit like Buterrible for 2 seasons.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    No. No. No. No. No. No.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    I'd be interested if the FO thinks he can still play 2B. He was a good OBP guy back in LA. He wouldn't be the first guy to resurect his career after getting a huge payday then tanking in Seattle. Beltre certainly has been productive since he left. Ironic, Washington legalizes pot after the Mariners get rid of disappointing slackers.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-06-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Sign him before some one else does.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd be interested if the FO thinks he can still play 2B. He was a good OBP guy back in LA. He wouldn't be the first guy to resurect his career after getting a huge payday then tanking in Seattle. Beltre certainly has been productive since he left. Ironic, Washington legalizes pot after the Mariners get rid of disappointing slackers.
    I agree, it's pretty much a given that Figgins would be great in Minnesota with that undeniable trend of one guy.

Nevermind that Safeco Field is absolutely brutal to right-handed pull hitters, like Beltre. Or that he was just 30 when he left Seattle. Or that Figgins is 35. Or that Figgins has been putting up Buteraesque production.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beltre and Figgins have virtually nothing in common as hitters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Good Lord, call off the dogs. Nowhere did I say he would be useful, I simply implied he still may have something left in the tank.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good Lord, call off the dogs. Nowhere did I say he would be useful, I simply implied he still may have something left in the tank.
    It's possible, I suppose. His BABIP has been absurdly low over the past two seasons... But I don't think that has much to do with Safeco. Figgins puts the ball on the ground 40% of the time. Not an extreme amount but if he still had speed, there's no reason for his BABIP to be that low with 40% of his contact turning into groundballs. That probably means two things:

1. He's old and slow now.
    2. He's making some really awful contact.

And sure enough, his spray chart is ugly. I mean, I don't know if I've ever seen a spray chart like this. It's horrible. Look at all those outs on or around the pitching mound and on the third base grass and look at how few hits he has in the outfield, particularly directly to left, center, and right. That means almost none of his groundballs are getting through the infield. Jesus.

figgins-spray.jpg

For laughs, here is Drew Butera's spray chart. It actually looks good compared to Figgins:
    butera-spray.jpg

What can we learn from this? That Chone Figgins is very, very bad at baseball now.

I will say it again, it is very likely that Figgins was the worst player in baseball over the past two years, yes probably even worse then Butera. At least Butera brings defensive value.

No, Figgins can't play 2nd base any more, the last time he played 3 seasons ago he had a pretty crappy track record. In addition, he is basically a clubhouse cancer.

A team like the Twins, who basically will need everything to go right in order to compete next year really have no business bringing in a ****ty ball player and a ****ty human into the fold.

I never thought I would actually say "Give me Jack Hannahan" but give me him 8 days a week over freaking Chone. Also, Mark Derosa in all honesty would have a 10x greater chance to produce for us then garbage Figgins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Carroll > Figgins.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Carroll > Figgins.
    Avian Flu> Justin Bieber > Joe Mays> Figgins

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Carroll > Figgins.
    Avian Flu> Justin Bieber > Joe Mays> Figgins
    No Jeff Gray? Shame on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast