Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who plays CF to start the season?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I don't understand why people think Hicks is MLB ready. He had a good season at AA, which is great to see and more positive than not, but that is all. This seems a bit like the Dozier movement last year.
    Last edited by Alex; 12-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    It's true it may force Gardy to bat mauer 2nd but without a decent leadoff hitter it won't much matter. I can live with Mastro at the beginning of the season if Hicks/Benson can step in around June. Wouldn't suprise if Twins sign a cheap CF in the latter parts of FA to bridge the gap.
    of the 3 who had a higher obp? Ben , Span or Carroll? and Mastroanni was .003 less then Revere
    also i wondered if Rick Ankiel was a cheap insurance option ?
    To pitch right?

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with Mastro to start the season. Matter of Fact... He may become sticky with an everyday job. He Could Steal 50 Plus bases with playing time.

Ben is faster but I think Mastro might be a better SB guy in total.

If you are going to watch someone swing and miss, let it be Benson. The Twins will continue to play the arbitration clock with Arcia and Hicks, unless they blow the opposition away in spring training. I could see them up here periodically during the season, not at all though if the Twins are slow out of the gate. Benson, who Ryan calls the "best all-around athlete" in the system, will get his chance to shine and take lumps. And he will. I hate the thought of a newbee leading off. Carroll can bat second. None of the other light-hitters -- Florimon, Escobar, Dozier -- would be better at the top of the order than the bottom. I'm just worried about who watches the msot pitches, who can get on base, and the effect it may have on Mauer's bat.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mastro to start the season. Matter of Fact... He may become sticky with an everyday job. He Could Steal 50 Plus bases with playing time.

Ben is faster but I think Mastro might be a better SB guy in total.
    Agreed, Mastroianni is a much better base stealer. His SB/CS ratio is exceptional. It's fun to watch him run because he is pure hustle. Mastroianni just has to hit for him to be valuable. He's been able to do it in the minors and he did last season, so I think it's a good bet that he does.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes all a guy needs is a chance. Mastro could be getting that chance come April. His window will probably be short so he better be getting himself ready to make the most of it.

The Twins could make a run at Nyjer Morgan or something... That wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility but I don't think the Twins fortunes will sink with Mastro in Center for awhile.

Rosterman... As for Benson... I've read all the reports... I saw him in September 2011... I'm pulling for him. If he hit is potential... It would be huge for this organization. However... That .202 from last year... was a bummer. Not saying he can't bounce back... By no means am I saying that but since that .202 from last year is sitting there. Don't you think that Benson should be given some additional minor league time to build some confidence back before being thrown into the big time?

Of course that leads to an interesting question that should probably be in the Farm Section. Where do you see Hicks, Arcia and Benson starting the year and at what position? Is that our Rochester OF?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I don't understand why people think Hicks is MLB ready. He had a good season at AA, which is great to see and more positive than not, but that is all. This seems a bit like the Dozier movement last year.
    Big difference between Dozier and Hicks though.

Hicks is already ML ready defensively.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see a platoon of Nyler Morgan and Mastroianni at first
    2nd guess is Benson and Mastroianni
    3rd is Ankiel and Mastroianni
    4th is trade or other FA from likes of Johnny Damon, Posednick, AAA FA
    5th is Hicks

THe Twins will go with the best option but if teh option can delay Hicks for a year then that one will likely happen last.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I saw Revere was traded, it was the first question that occurred to me. I have like Benson for a long time and was really bummed by his lost injury-plagued season. He's had a cup of coffee in both Rochester and Mpls. I don't know if that gives him a leg up on Hicks or not, but Joe has real power and real speed. I hope he comes back with a strong season and is able to contribute to the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mastroianni is not a great CF. He is good enough as a backup. With Willingham and Parmelee in the corners, it could be pretty bad. CF is going to matter a ton defensively. Hicks has been MLB ready defensively for awhile now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Mastroianni is not a great CF. He is good enough as a backup. With Willingham and Parmelee in the corners, it could be pretty bad. CF is going to matter a ton defensively. Hicks has been MLB ready defensively for awhile now.
    I've certainly heard from quite a few that Hicks is a CF Monster. I haven't seen him play but I will trust those words. I've heard it often enough. He may start with the big club but I've seen too many prospects delayed until the Arb Clock and am guessing that it will be the same with Hicks. Just a guess.

As for Mastro... He didn't do anything in the OF that concerns me... Haven't really seen him in CF much to judge him against Revere and Span. Revere is clearly better in my opinion but it would be tough to hold that standard against Mastro. No doubt about it... Our OF defense took a step back but it actually took the first step back when Parmelee replaced Span in the starting lineup. The D will be challenged regardless if it's Span, Revere or Mastro in CF.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't see Hicks getting called up... Don't see Benson either. The Twins like both of these guys, and both could use some time in the minors. In Benson's case, there are some real question marks as well. I'd guess they will sign one other guy to work with Mastro... Mastro will also get every chance to build some value, as he could get flipped as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234