Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,502 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'll stand by my prediction that if he has a strong season in a ballpark favorable to what he does best, the Phillies consider extension talks in the offseason.
    And I'd still consider it a mistake but I think Revere will do better in the NL and that ballpark than he ever would in Target Field.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It has been reported that our plan this whole time has been to sign one free agent pitcher, was it not? That makes me feel way better in that aspect as well.
    Now the question is.....WHO?!
    I'm hoping Marcum. Marcum, Worley, Diamond and Gibson in the front 4. Not great, but it's a start...
    If you told me that'd be the 2013 rotation a month ago and the loss from the deal was virtually nothing (considering the Twins ALSO got May for Revere), I would have been pleased as punch.
    If we could get both Marcum and McCarthy...and have...

1. Marcum
    2. McCarthy
    3. Diamond
    4. Worley
    5 Gibson

I would be pretty happy with that starting rotation!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It has been reported that our plan this whole time has been to sign one free agent pitcher, was it not? That makes me feel way better in that aspect as well.
    Now the question is.....WHO?!
    I'm hoping Marcum. Marcum, Worley, Diamond and Gibson in the front 4. Not great, but it's a start...
    If you told me that'd be the 2013 rotation a month ago and the loss from the deal was virtually nothing (considering the Twins ALSO got May for Revere), I would have been pleased as punch.
    Concur. However, is it more than 50% certain that Gibson breaks with the team in April in the rotation? I'd say it's still highly doubtful, especially if they decide on a specific inning limitation. I also am not holding my breath that they get Marcum unless they move Willingham or Morneau.

Great trade pretting effin excited for the return we got. Everyone...go to church this weekend and pray that Worley is not going to have Tommy John eventually. Someone tried to tell me the other day CFs have no value this year...look what we just got for Revere! Grade Trade...very excited.....!
    Posted this elsewhere.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ce-Worley.html

Great trade - suddenly I'm back on TR's band wagon!

Do you think they will start with Hick is CF day 1? I don't believe they will. I think they will let him get his feet wet at AAA and use Mastro in CF, along with maybe Benson or Arcia. Then maybe mid-season or so, if Hicks has done well at AAA, bring him up. Thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    If Worley and May both are/become quality major league starters, this is a very good trade for the Twins. I do think it shows that many have undervalued Revere. We will see what happens, but Revere can hit and will I think, be a very good player for a good long time. The Twins gave up something to get something.

The Twins also must have a fair amount of confidence that Hicks is close to reaching his potential.
    Hicks style of play may be better served in the NL, but I still see no way he manages to get a .700 OPS year in and year out. Until he can even reach that modest number he is nothing more then a stop gap CF and a 4th OF.

without question, a solid solid deal that will ripple down the minors.
    It is curious tho how Ryans disdain for FA affected this as I believe he really wanted to use FA but wont pay the market price for a pitcher.
    Revere is an OK player (great speed/defense) but I was worried about his OBP as a fulltime leadoff hitter, so Im very happy to see him go. Truly think Mastro can do everything that Revere can....on a shortterm basis untill the Aaron Hicks era starts.
    With the AAA rotation full, & May not dominating AA....that's where I see him starting the year with Meyer. Agree or not??
    More happy with the upcoming season now knowing that its getting ready for 2014 than trying to compete this year with the Florimon types in the lineup. Makes you wonder when the trigger is pulled on Justin/ WIlly

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 071063 View Post
    Do you think they will start with Hick is CF day 1? I don't believe they will. I think they will let him get his feet wet at AAA and use Mastro in CF, along with maybe Benson or Arcia. Then maybe mid-season or so, if Hicks has done well at AAA, bring him up. Thoughts?
    I think it will be a true open competition coming to ST, with it being Hicks job to lose. If he has a nice spring, he is on the roster off the bat IMO.

Wooo - Freakin'-Hoooo!! Sweet deal, TR! Hope Hicks is ready for the big time.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Willingham can bring a good return now, but he could bring more at the deadline if he has a solid season. Morneau, and who knows with some of these trades and contracts being handed out, I see with much more upside trading at the deadline then now, unless someone really loves him.

As for the trade, its a great return, I'm not a TR fan, but he isn't too bad when it comes to trades, its more dumb signings and bad day to day (DL, call ups) that drive me nuts.

As for who plays in CF, I think some of it comes to spring training, don't know if they want to put Hicks out there right away, though I think it is prolly his to lose, see how Benson comes back from injury, he had a rough year injury wise. The one issue I have with him is I don't know if he can play CF with Parmelee and Willingham at the corners.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    This is what I'd like to see.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Concur. However, is it more than 50% certain that Gibson breaks with the team in April in the rotation? I'd say it's still highly doubtful, especially if they decide on a specific inning limitation. I also am not holding my breath that they get Marcum unless they move Willingham or Morneau.
    No, I think Gibson's chance of being in the Opening Day rotation is very much in the air.

But now that the Twins have at least $25m to spend (based on current payroll and last year's number), they're going to have to go get somebody (or, more likely, multiple cheaper somebodies).

I think the chances of going after some middle infield help has risen dramatically in the past hour.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm sure they will compete in spring training

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Will Joe Benson be starting in center field on opening day? Whereas Hicks may be the centerfielder of the short-term future, I doubt the Twins believe he will be ready on opening day. More likely sometime next summer. As for Benson, everything possible went wrong last year including two serious injuries (hamate bone and knee). What effect that had on his dismal season is unknown, however, one has to assume it had a real effect. If 100% healthy in spring, he just could report to Fort Myers and 'win' the starting centerfield job. On the other hand, Mr. Ryan will probably scrounge around for someone to compete with Mastroianni for center/4th outfielder should neither of the close kids win the job.
    But right this very minute, Hicks is ahead of Benson. Benson had a horrible year last year, getting demoted twice. I know some of that was due to the hamate bone and resulting surgery. But he started slow and never got going. Hicks got going and continued through the fall land Winter leagues. Hicks is my favorite to win the job out of spring training.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'll stand by my prediction that if he has a strong season in a ballpark favorable to what he does best, the Phillies consider extension talks in the offseason.
    And I'd still consider it a mistake but I think Revere will do better in the NL and that ballpark than he ever would in Target Field.
    I fully agree, he's made for the NL and that park and a classy organization. I wish him the best. I just don't like the supposed Twins fans on a Twins blog who still want to get one more kick at a guy- who's done nothing wrong- as he's going out the door.

Liked 1,181 Times in 692 Posts
    This is the kind of trade I've been waiting to see from Terry Ryan -- glad to see he still has the contacts, skill and guts to make it happen.

But I will miss Revere's grin.

Please let some of the call-ups and additions bring some excitement because right not the Twins look like a very boring team.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree that this probably is the smartest move.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Will Joe Benson be starting in center field on opening day? Whereas Hicks may be the centerfielder of the short-term future, I doubt the Twins believe he will be ready on opening day. More likely sometime next summer. As for Benson, everything possible went wrong last year including two serious injuries (hamate bone and knee). What effect that had on his dismal season is unknown, however, one has to assume it had a real effect. If 100% healthy in spring, he just could report to Fort Myers and 'win' the starting centerfield job. On the other hand, Mr. Ryan will probably scrounge around for someone to compete with Mastroianni for center/4th outfielder should neither of the close kids win the job.
    But right this very minute, Hicks is ahead of Benson. Benson had a horrible year last year, getting demoted twice. I know some of that was due to the hamate bone and resulting surgery. But he started slow and never got going. Hicks got going and continued through the fall land Winter leagues. Hicks is my favorite to win the job out of spring training.
    Do you think the Twins don't routinely promote the inferior guy, if in their mind it's a better business decision?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Agreed. Hicks has zero PA's above AA. Let him get a few months at AAA then let's reevaluate. That also should prevent him from reaching super 2 status. I think the most interesting question is what happens with Benson?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I fully agree, he's made for the NL and that park and a classy organization. I wish him the best. I just don't like the supposed Twins fans on a Twins blog who still want to get one more kick at a guy- who's done nothing wrong- as he's going out the door.
    Generally, I only kick the player, not the person. I like Revere. He's a blast to watch. He seems like a great guy who just wants to play baseball.

But as a player, I don't think he's very good. That doesn't mean I wish him ill or anything, I just don't see his skillset playing out over the longterm.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast