Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here at Ben Revere Daily...

I'm really excited, we got a guy who looks to be a solid major leaguer and a prospect with upside. And it means we'll definitely see Hicks at some point next year, barring injury (knock on wood). If both pitchers pan out, this move is fantastic. There some pretty big question marks for both of them, though. My chronic page refreshing today is finally rewarded, however.

I've been looking forward to Aaron Hicks for a couple years now, he's almost the perfect example of what I want in a CF if he makes the transition successfully. It'll be interesting to see how they try and fill the position. Live with Mastro until Hicks is ready? Play Benson regardless of last year since he's already had service time in the majors? Throw Hicks in the deep end and see if he swims? Pick up a half-year rental from the scrap heap?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well damn. I'm as big a Revere booster as anybody, but I guess I have to admit this is a good trade for the Twins. I'll miss Ben a lot, he was exciting to watch and an all around good guy. Hopefully he thrives in Philly and we see him back here in 2014 for the Allstar game.

This does definitely make Spring Training a lot more interesting. Willingham, Mauer, Doumit and Mourneau are the only guys that are going to show up in Florida knowing for sure what there role will be.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It has been reported that our plan this whole time has been to sign one free agent pitcher, was it not? That makes me feel way better in that aspect as well.
    Now the question is.....WHO?!
    I'm hoping Marcum. Marcum, Worley, Diamond and Gibson in the front 4. Not great, but it's a start...

I was with you on this one Riverbrian. I hate to lose Revere but it's no surprise to me the Twins got more for Revere than they did for Span

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very excited about this, have really liked Worley from afar for a couple years. Revere was fine and good, but the worst of our highest-rated ourtfield prospects. Pumped to get both a solid starter and a promising prospect - - very smart move.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I guess the "value of Ben Revere" question can be put to rest...
    Bingo. The Phillies could have afforded a Bourn but got Revere on my "percentage of salary valuation" argument basis.

No question though, Twins got a great trade. I'm excited that they have finally folded their cards and prepared for 2014/15.
    Philly very likely can't afford Bourn or Hamilton
    I've heard arguments both ways, but if you evaluate their cash flow, it probably only would have involved moving a vet or two to have made it happen.

This means Hicks is the new starting centerfielder and lead-off man for Twins. He will probably struggle, and flop spots for Benson in the minors, but both will be up here by midseason. Next up to leave is Morneau, unfortunately. Twins might be able to solve a bullpen spot, and 3B for Morneau, with Parmalee moving to 1B. All these moves make the Twins more than competitive in 2nd half of 2013 moving forward.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't see how you could be the least upset for this trade. This is a GREAT get for Revere...I'm shocked we got a starter and a top SP prospect for Ben...WOW!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I guess the "value of Ben Revere" question can be put to rest...

Or the "do the Phillies have a competent Front Office?" question can be put to rest....

Just because Barry Zito got 100 million several years ago doesn't mean that was his "value"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Exactly.....Is Morneau and Willingham next?!
    Hard to say. I think they'll open the season with both, really.

But if there is still a market for outfielders, I'm sure Ryan will listen. After all, there are divisions outside the NL East that might need an outfielder.
    Could Willingham get better players than Revere just did? I have a feeling Twins are quietly listening to what Morneau and Willingham could recieve. I honestly dont think this is the last trade we are going to make. I have a feeling one of those 2 will be traded for a pitcher.
    I don't think Willingham or Morneau have that kind of value. I think both have better value at the trade deadline when a team (say Pitt) needs a power bat to stay in the race and the fans demand it.

That said, Ryan has pulled off two pretty nice trades already so Willingham for Bauer must be next.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Care to reconsider your evaluation or did Ryan do a major hose job on the Phillies?
    Oh, Ryan hosed the Phillies, without a doubt.

And I was never that down on Revere's value. I thought he had a decent chance of maintaining his value through 2013, which is when I hoped he'd be traded (though I always said if an offer was there, take it and run like hell).

But I never valued him very high. There's a difference between how I value a guy and how one of 29 other general managers might value that guy. I don't believe I ever said the Twins couldn't get value for Revere, I simply said that extending him was ludicrous because his ceiling was relatively low (and that I think no-hit speedsters are a mistake in general).

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    I was with you on this one Riverbrian. I hate to lose Revere but it's no surprise to me the Twins got more for Revere than they did for Span
    Let's just say more than just a few TD regulars are stunned at the haul the Twins got. I'm pleasantly and enthusiastically "surprised" that the Twins could pull this off---
    as they have historically tended to undervalue their assets and overvalue their acquisition targets.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't see us paying for Marcum but 2 of Liriano/Lannan/Myers/Saunders is a possibility...for sure 1 of em???

Quote Originally Posted by SurroundedByTigers View Post
    This means Hicks is the new starting centerfielder and lead-off man for Twins. He will probably struggle, and flop spots for Benson in the minors, but both will be up here by midseason. Next up to leave is Morneau, unfortunately. Twins might be able to solve a bullpen spot, and 3B for Morneau, with Parmalee moving to 1B. All these moves make the Twins more than competitive in 2nd half of 2013 moving forward.
    I could see him having a very similar season to Torri Hunter's rookie season. Hicks like Hunter is already there defensively, his bat has shown promise and progress in the minors but I wouldn't be shocked to see him struggle a bit. (10HR and a .675 OPS or so). As long as he isn't hitting like Butera I think they should let him take his lumps until he truely "loses" the psot.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It has been reported that our plan this whole time has been to sign one free agent pitcher, was it not? That makes me feel way better in that aspect as well.
    Now the question is.....WHO?!
    I'm hoping Marcum. Marcum, Worley, Diamond and Gibson in the front 4. Not great, but it's a start...
    If you told me that'd be the 2013 rotation a month ago and the loss from the deal was virtually nothing (considering the Twins ALSO got May for Revere), I would have been pleased as punch.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Care to reconsider your evaluation or did Ryan do a major hose job on the Phillies?
    Oh, Ryan hosed the Phillies, without a doubt.

And I was never that down on Revere's value. I thought he had a decent chance of maintaining his value through 2013, which is when I hoped he'd be traded (though I always said if an offer was there, take it and run like hell).

But I never valued him very high. There's a difference between how I value a guy and how one of 29 other general managers might value that guy. I don't believe I ever said the Twins couldn't get value for Revere, I simply said that extending him was ludicrous because his ceiling was relatively low (and that I think no-hit speedsters are a mistake in general).
    I'll stand by my prediction that if he has a strong season in a ballpark favorable to what he does best, the Phillies consider extension talks in the offseason.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Worley and May both are/become quality major league starters, this is a very good trade for the Twins. I do think it shows that many have undervalued Revere. We will see what happens, but Revere can hit and will I think, be a very good player for a good long time. The Twins gave up something to get something.

The Twins also must have a fair amount of confidence that Hicks is close to reaching his potential.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Exactly.....Is Morneau and Willingham next?!
    Hard to say. I think they'll open the season with both, really.

But if there is still a market for outfielders, I'm sure Ryan will listen. After all, there are divisions outside the NL East that might need an outfielder.
    Could Willingham get better players than Revere just did? I have a feeling Twins are quietly listening to what Morneau and Willingham could recieve. I honestly dont think this is the last trade we are going to make. I have a feeling one of those 2 will be traded for a pitcher.
    I don't think Willingham or Morneau have that kind of value. I think both have better value at the trade deadline when a team (say Pitt) needs a power bat to stay in the race and the fans demand it.

That said, Ryan has pulled off two pretty nice trades already so Willingham for Bauer must be next.
    If Willingham could get anything close for Bauer that would be amazing lol! Lets hope TR has some more trick up his sleeve.

I agree with Kab, this doesn't mean 2013 is punted at this point. They just filled one of their middle rotation spots with a guy who is making the minimum (rather then overpaying for a Dempster like guy). That frees up even more potential money for "better" pitchers then crappy ones on the free agent market.

There is a very good chance that Hicks has a better season then Revere anyways, and Mastro is a perfectly fine 4th OF, so it's not like we will be missing having Revere on the bench that much. At least Mastro has some value with his bat/pop (though not a lot)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Wow, amazing trade.

The TR haters should be eating a lot of Crow these days.

Also, Philly fans will looooooovvveeeeee Revere...haha.
    chomp chomp chomp , yup a big crow-wich for me , terry did good...
    now who plays center and do we look to upgrade shortstop , maybe look west to the rockie there?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast