Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gammons: Red Sox willing to take on all of Mauer's contract

Mauer for Ellsbury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    This isn't an option. You don't trade Mauer so you can free up money to sign old, average SP'ers like Marcum and Dempster when you already have the money to sign them. Mauer might be a little expensive at the end of his contract but by 2018 the Twins should be able to have a payroll of 125+M minimum. One reason that Mauer's contract isn't going to hurt that payroll much is that the team will largely be made up of players still in arbitration.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If they traded Mauer, I'd argue that they'd need to have to find a way to pick up a decent catching prospect or two. There's not much help at C in the minor league system.
    IMO, a Salty or a Wieters (back to the Orioles apparent interest in another bat) would have to be part of the trade. They cannot go through the next couple of bridge years with Butera as the #1A C along with Doumit.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-06-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=diehardtwinsfan;68657]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    If the Sox offered up Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Boegarts, Barnes and Webster you'd have to listen, right???
    I think the Twins woudl take it and run (as they should). I cannot see the Sox offering up much, but if they were desparate, I'd start at Boegarts, Barnes and Lavarnway at a minimum. I could see taking Salty as well just to have someoe behind the plate in MN.

That said, this is a pipedream...[/QUOTE]

Probably so, but there have been a few headscratching, WTF trades made in the last 6 months that tend to say almost anything is possible (And Boston was already one of them). When Edes is clamoring for it, and then joined by Gammons, there's probably fire behind their smoke.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do realize that this discussion is purely academic due to Mauer's no-trade clause, yes?

But sure, let's indulge the fantasy for a moment. Let's suppose Boston gives us a few promising prospects in exchange for taking on the remainder of Mauer's unbearable contract, thus removing a source of endless angst and hand-wringing in Twins Territory.

What then? Willingly endure losing as these youngsters take their lumps and learn to play with the big boys in hopes that one day after the next presidential election, we might see a record north of 80 wins again?

Ah, but children, there's a problem you see. Cheap little cubbies do not stay so forever. Before you know it, they're all grown up and want big bear contracts. And by then, they'll be even bigger and scarier <gasp> than the one that had been giving you nightmares before it moved away to Boston. Then what? Surely, we do not want more Big Bad Contracts in Twins Territory. The last spread unhappiness and despair throughout the land. Perhaps the heroes from beyond the eastern horizon will rescue us once again and leave a few of their young behind for us to raise for them.

And so will continue the once unpopular but currently trendy fairy tale of "The Quaint Little Farm Team".

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One_eyed...

I'm pretty sure that given most people have said this is a pipe dream should tell you that this is a fantasy. There's a lot of reasons why it won't happen. Part is that I think Boston will want him for cheap (which shouldn't happen) and part is the NTC.

Where it is fun is that Boston's top 5 actually fits well into places of need for the Twins. Boegarts is a SS in AA. Barnes is a top flight starter. Lavernway would be the future cather, and Middlebrooks plays 3rd.. Boston would be stupid to do that... and the Twins would have the best farm system if they pulled it off. but it's fun to fantasize. Almost as fun as fantasizing about Kate Upton...

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Twinsnorth showing his age.....
    And so am I, by suggesting so are you.

What's the reference? I just want to know if I'm too old, too young, too ignorant, or some combination. (I'm guessing 1 and 3)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Not gonna happen, wouldn't be prudent....George Bush quote....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Ha, actually Dana Carvey quote. He took liberties with his impression and quotes of Bush on SNL.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ah,.probably true....the memory is an interesting thing....funny, now that you say that, I can see Carvey.....

Boston wouldn't be willing to give up enough to get the Twins to part with the franchise player.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234