Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Select RHP Ryan Pressly in Rule 5 Draft

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Select RHP Ryan Pressly in Rule 5 Draft

Ain't no stopping us now! I suppose Jim Pohlad couldn't eat breakfast this morning since it costs 50,000 to be in the Rule 5 draft!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Is that all you have to add to the conversation, chagen?

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Is that all you have to add to the conversation, chagen?
    Scouting Report: Pressly has a polished delivery with excellent balance and a consistent release point. Doesn't create much drive out of his delivery and is shorter with his arm extension. Features a four-seam fastball that sits 90-91 mph and occasionally tops out at 93 MPH. Primarily relies on a cutter that sits 84-87 mph with inward break on lefties. Can leave it in middle of the plate too much. Secondary pitches include a mid-70s 11-to-5 curveball and an 80-82 mph changeup. Creates good arm speed and deception when throwing his change, with it fading away from righties and in on lefties. His changeup doesn't have a lot of separation from his cutter, but can play well off his four-seam fastball. Pressly's curve can be sharp at times, but he is still developing consistent feel for the pitch and needs to work it more into sequences.

There you are i added this to the Conversation! hope that helps watching bird man

This adds some competition for Alex Burnett I guess. Wasn't expecting them to find the type of talent worthy of being stashed on the roster a la Johann.

Thank you, Mr. Hagen, much obliged.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Lets just hope this pick is as astute as the Terry Doyle pick was last year.

"The Twins did not lose any players in the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft."

So . . . Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? I mean, does it reflect the fact that the Twins don't have anyone that any other MLB team is interested in? Or, are the Twins just crafty enough to somehow protect the players that another team could be interested in?

Seems like often the more I know, the less I know!!

BTW...is he a "22 year old" or "about to turn 24?"

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    Twins lost 195 games the last 2 years. My guess is they don't have good players rather than them being "crafty" and somehow protecting them.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like a "C" prospect to me.

Actually, he doesn't. The most damning thing about his stats that I can see is that at the end of this year, being used only as a reliever, he struck out 21 in 27 innings at AA. In fact, he's bounced between starter and reliever throughout his minor league career. So even the hope that his stuff will be amped up out of the 'pen seems unfounded. He is the longest of shots to stay with the team this year, IMHO.

It might just be that the Rule 5 just isn't worth paying attention to any more. Or it might just be that the Twins, who have had the #2 and #4 picks the last two years and come up with almost nothing, just don't know how to really take advantage of it any more.

Can anyone remember of any Rule 5 picks from last year for any team that look like they're going to be worthwhile?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I caught that too, and fixed it, probably while you were commenting. He was 23 years old last year.

(Also, just a point of grammar to all you budding writers out there: if that phrase is being used as a noun or adjective, it should have hyphens. So the 23-year-old or the 23-year-old pitcher will be turning 24 years old.)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Pressly turns 24 next week. If you want to see the action on his pitches in the AFL, you can view the games he pitched in vs. the Twins prospects at Peoria on Oct. 9, 19 and 22.

In these games he used mainly his FB (93-96) and curve (79-82). He has had a very good groundball rate in the past, and he seems to have good downward plane on his fastball, but he was leaving quite a bit up in the zone in these three games.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Seems like a typical Twins pitcher.

2011:

Seattle took LH reliever Lucas Luetge, who tossed 40 innings out of their pen with an ERA around 4 and over 8 K/9.

Baltimore took 3b Ryan Flaherty, 77 games, .216/.258/.359

those were the 2 picks immediately after the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    See he was a starter last year at high A ball, then a reliever when he moved up to AA. If they like him in spring training, see him stashed in the bullpen as the long relief guy. The hope would be that he get some time in AAA in 2014 and hopefully beccomming a member of the rotation later that year. If he does work out in spring training, he could replace Swarzak's role with Swarzak moving to either short relief, a starter or be moved in a trade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Seems like a "C" prospect to me.

Can anyone remember of any Rule 5 picks from last year for any team that look like they're going to be worthwhile?

Yeah, Lucas Luetge was a pretty useful arm for the Mariners last year.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I caught that too, and fixed it, probably while you were commenting. He was 23 years old last year.

(Also, just a point of grammar to all you budding writers out there: if that phrase is being used as a noun or adjective, it should have hyphens. So the 23-year-old or the 23-year-old pitcher will be turning 24 years old.)
    Skipping year 23 isn't unheard of. I was closing down bars at age 22, passed out in an alley, and when I woke up I was 24, married and working in an office cubicle. Weird stuff happens at 23.

This pick is defninitely a yawner. But let's be honest, anyone available in the Rule 5 is iffy, at best. With Boston drafting a Twins minor leaguer later, maybe there's a shot at simply trading one for the other and allowing both teams to keep the players they drafted even if they don't greatly impress.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Why is everyone down about this pick? Sure there's about a 10% chance that he sticks all year and becomes valuable but every player available has significant issues. The Astros had their pick of anyone and selected a guy who walks 6/9. We were all mad when the Twins sent Bullock to Atl for Diamond.

Just in this thread he's gone from 90-91 to 93-96. At this rate, by spring training we'll have another Sidd Finch on our hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast