Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's An Idea - Twins acquire Santana and R.A. Dickey

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    I would be ok with a Santana and cash (to make salaries match) for Morneau swap. Santana is just too much of a risk to invest any time or money at this point. Trading for Morneau gives you a pitcher that could be great for a player you are not going to resign.
    ok who then plays 1st and who plays right field?

Dickey is a strange case. He's a bargain for 2013 at $5 million. Would I bother extending him, no. I got him for $5. He is also a nice trade chip if someone wants him. If he pitches great and you still got him, trade bait in July. Yes, he is a knuckleballer, but he is also ancient. I could think of better ways to spend $20-25 million over the next two years. I would love to see Santana return to the Twins. At what price? A couple of prospects. But having the Mets eat too much salary, you might as well keep him yourself, then.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I would throw in prospects like Harrison and goodrum along with benson to get the deal done. I thought this post was going to be ridiculous but really it makes total sense to me. The mets have to get rid of the salaries and if they can get some b to c prospects I'm sure they would dumb dickey to make it happen. Getting rid of Santana's contract is worth more to the mets than most people are assuming.
    Haha. I'm assuming this is complete snark.

Seriously, I miss BYTO.
    That which we do not speak of.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It would be great for the fans, help the young pitchers and put ass in the seats too. The Twins would come out smelling like a rose!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Mets would demand a top 5 prospect and a top 10 prospect to start things off. This is not going to happen.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts
    It should be noted that dickey is coming off a Cy Young winning season, I'm pretty sure guys like that don't get traded for peanuts.... Just ask frank viola and the 1991 World Series champion Minnesota Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    In 1991 Viola was coming off a third place finish for the Cy Young as a Met. It was his final season as a Met and an All Star.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts
    I know that I was talking about who the twins got in that trade to help them win it all in 91

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    The Mets would demand a top 5 prospect and a top 10 prospect to start things off. This is not going to happen.
    Not necessarily. The Twins do NOT need salary relief, but the Mets do as they are still paying off Madoff's victims. The Mets can either get salary relief, top prospects, or some combination, but not both. As I pointed out in the original post the only obligation for the Twins is $35M over the next 2 years. They might have to part with a couple of prospects but not necessarily a top 5, not if they are taking on all of Santana's $25.5M salary. One of the Twins' outfield prospects would probably have to be part of any deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    @SVD (better than an STD) What the Twins got for Viola
    A pitcher that the Twins could have gotten for a low level prospect that they turned into a closer. A pitcher with an undistinguished Milb record that had a great three year run and three stiffs.
    Last edited by old nurse; 12-06-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    A pitcher that the Twins could have gotten for a low level prospect that they turned into a closer. A pitcher with an undistinguished Milb record that had a great three year run and three stiffs.
    Wow. How soon we forget. David West was a highly coveted (maybe the most coveted) prospect/young pitcher at the time. Aguilera was a solid #3/4 starter at the time. Tapani was an upper prospect. Drummond and Savage were throw ins.

A solid starter, 2 high end prospects, and 2 low end prospects is a pretty good haul for a B+ pitcher (Slightly below the Clemens/Maddux level at the time) at the trade deadline.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    I would be ok with a Santana and cash (to make salaries match) for Morneau swap. Santana is just too much of a risk to invest any time or money at this point. Trading for Morneau gives you a pitcher that could be great for a player you are not going to resign.
    ok who then plays 1st and who plays right field?
    Umm... 1B and RF would be manned by Parmalee, Doumit, Mauer, Mastroianni, and probably Hicks in some combination.

Senior Member All-Star
    Wow. How soon we forget. David West was a highly coveted (maybe the most coveted) prospect/young pitcher at the time. Aguilera was a solid #3/4 starter at the time. Tapani was an upper prospect. Drummond and Savage were throw ins.

A solid starter, 2 high end prospects, and 2 low end prospects is a pretty good haul for a B+ pitcher (Slightly below the Clemens/Maddux level at the time) at the trade deadline.
    Aggie was not considered a solid starter. If he was, they would not have converted him to a reliever. He was going back and forth between the rotation and bullpen in New York after some early success .
    In the Times archives, West was cosidered the prize. Tapani and Savage had been filler in earlier trades.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Aggie was not considered a solid starter. If he was, they would not have converted him to a reliever. He was going back and forth between the rotation and bullpen in New York after some early success .
    In the Times archives, West was cosidered the prize. Tapani and Savage had been filler in earlier trades.
    You are so wrong I don't even know where to start. Here is the transaction via BR:

July 31, 1989: Traded by the Minnesota Twins to the New York Mets for a player to be named later, Rick Aguilera, Tim Drummond, Kevin Tapani and David West. The New York Mets sent Jack Savage (October 16, 1989) to the Minnesota Twins to complete the trade.

Tapani and Savage were part of this trade. Tapani a big part. You are correct in that, at the time, West was considered the prize.

1985-87 Aguilera was a combined 31-17, with an ERA around 3.50. He was hurt in 1988, in 1989 he was partially in the pen out of necessity for the Mets, when he came to the Twins he was a FT starter. It wasn't until that offseason, when the Jeff Reardon left as a FA that Aguilera was asked to become the closer. At the time, he strongly resisted the move. He didn't want to do it. Lucky for us, he took to it pretty well.

Next time get your facts straight.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotholemike View Post
    So you want to see more of Luis Perdomo, Samuel Deduno, Cole Devries, etc.?
    Not Perdomo, but I had fun watching some of the Twins pitchers last season, especially Deduno and DeVries. Both guys were able to apply pressure to opponents in their own ways. Now you've got Diamond, Worley, Gibson, Hendriks, and maybe Hernandez vying for rotation spots along with DeVries and Deduno. I don't mind what I see here. Pitching is always going to be a crap shoot at the bargain basement level.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow. Just wow.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana and Liriano back together on the Twins? If they could each get back to 90% of their prior greatness, then the Twins would have two aces. They are both long shots to pitch well, but there would be at least a chance of a magical season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12