Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaVelle: Two Twins Officials Say They Have Offers Out All Over the Place

LaVelle: Two Twins Officials Say They Have Offers Out All Over the Place

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Good to know. Hope they can steal Holland.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope they can get Holland, but lets be realistic the Rangers have a good front office and its going to be a hefty price for him. I dont mind getting Saunders or Blanton but as the 3rd option and getting two guys who are better than them...McCarthy or Marcum please.

Hey, the Twins have to do more than just offer, they have to blow guys away. Tell Dempster we give you 3 years for $36 million.Tell McCarthy you take 3 years and $27 million right now, today. The Twins are in a position that if they make an offer, it better be their best, 'cause no one is coming back to them and saying "so-and-so will, how about you going to this." And, I'm sorry, just making an offer doesn't mean that you are playing the game, in the mix of things, being aggressive. I can offer Dempster three years at $5 million per year. But I'm wasting my time and his.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The Twins are in a position that if they make an offer, it better be their best, 'cause no one is coming back to them and saying "so-and-so will, how about you going to this."
    Yes, they will. An agent's job is to get his client (and himself) as much money as possible. You call back all teams that made an offer in an attempt to drive up the price.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    What if they all say yes?.....still hoping.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ugh, I just read it....so 4 number 4 or 5 starters....what is the plan? Because those names will not increase, and may decrease, ticket sales.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ugh, I just read it....so 4 number 4 or 5 starters....what is the plan? Because those names will not increase, and may decrease, ticket sales.
    Your right about that. We need to go after Marcum, McCarthy and maybe Dempster. Twins will probably need to overpay for those guys though as Minnesota is not the hottest destination right now.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Wake me when all these "offers" turn into something that actually improves the Twins in some way.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just an FYI Twins are reportedly interested in a recent inductee into the tommy john club Mike Pelfrey....

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,290 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Just an FYI Twins are reportedly interested in a recent inductee into the tommy john club Mike Pelfrey....
    Very weird 2012 for Pelfrey - judging by his game log. His third game he went 8 innings, 1ER, against the Giants, going just above 100 pitches so you'd think all was well. Five days later, TJ.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Very weird 2012 for Pelfrey - judging by his game log. His third game he went 8 innings, 1ER, against the Giants, going just above 100 pitches so you'd think all was well. Five days later, TJ.
    It is weird, but im not to interested in Pelfrey, I wonder when he would be able to come back this season?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    they couldn't get him in the Santana trade, so they are signing him now?

I have a very reliable inside source here in Wichita that told me Pelfrey has the Twins at number 1 on his list. Boras and the money are apparently the sticking points but they are pretty deep into negotiations. I'm told the arm feels good and he has his velocity back so who knows, definitely worth kicking the tires if the price is right.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I've got as much confidence in Nick Blackburn as I do in Mike Pelfrey. Devries, Pavano or Deduno as well. Pelfrey has had one decent year in the last 4, and was pitching in the NL at that, and no one knows how he'll come back from TJ. I can see the Twins signing him cheap to fight for a rotation spot, but I don't see a point giving him even a guaranteed deal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    I've got as much confidence in Nick Blackburn as I do in Mike Pelfrey. Devries, Pavano or Deduno as well. Pelfrey has had one decent year in the last 4, and was pitching in the NL at that, and no one knows how he'll come back from TJ. I can see the Twins signing him cheap to fight for a rotation spot, but I don't see a point giving him even a guaranteed deal.
    Maybe a 1 year 2-3 million flyer? I dont know....I have a lot more confidence in him than I do Blacky. For that matter....I have more confidence in any pitcher other than Blackburn.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Hey, the Twins have to do more than just offer, they have to blow guys away. Tell Dempster we give you 3 years for $36 million.Tell McCarthy you take 3 years and $27 million right now, today. The Twins are in a position that if they make an offer, it better be their best, 'cause no one is coming back to them and saying "so-and-so will, how about you going to this." And, I'm sorry, just making an offer doesn't mean that you are playing the game, in the mix of things, being aggressive. I can offer Dempster three years at $5 million per year. But I'm wasting my time and his.
    When have the Twins done anything to blow FA's away in the way that you are suggesting? Not that I don't think they can't, but it just hasn't happened before. While they do have payroll space, it probably won't mean that we will be spending that much money to splurge on McCarthy or Dempster, especially since Dempster is 35, and only getting older. Not exactly the way the Twins want to go if they are trying to build for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocko87 View Post
    I have a very reliable inside source here in Wichita that told me Pelfrey has the Twins at number 1 on his list. Boras and the money are apparently the sticking points but they are pretty deep into negotiations. I'm told the arm feels good and he has his velocity back so who knows, definitely worth kicking the tires if the price is right.
    I don't want to make it sound like I am questioning you, but I'm trying to figure out what is the Wichita connection, if any?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    As long as at least one of the FA signees (or additional trade returns) exceeds the "Diamond Standard", who cares how many #5-6 starters they sign to compete with Hendriks, Deduno, Hernandez, Walters, Blackburn, DeVries, Vasquez? The more the merrier.

McCarthy, Marcum, Jackson, Dempster, maybe Saunders match or exceed the Diamond Standard. Let's see how it plays out before we do too much whining about it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocko87 View Post
    I don't want to make it sound like I am questioning you, but I'm trying to figure out what is the Wichita connection, if any?
    Looks like Pelfrey's from Witchita.

I'd imagine a lot of pitchers looking for a rebuond year would have the Twins high on the list seeing as there is plenty of rotation space to be had and there'd be less worry of ending up in the pen or DFA'd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast