Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meyer in 2013?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So according to Seth, it is at least partly about money....
    I certainly think that it should be. I'm sure it's case by case too... but there's no way I'd give up a full-year of a player if I don't have to. Most may prove not worth the hassle, but for the great talents, I'd sure like an extra year. (although the Twins do a pretty good job of locking up players that are worthwhile (and some that aren't) through a free agent year too (Mauer, Santana, Morneau, Cuddyer, Hunter, several others)
    let me add Mike... For me, it's not about the money, it's about keeping a player a full extra ceiling if he's worth it. Four-year Arbitration guys make a lot of money too if they're good.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    He has to learn the "Twins way" of pitching before he earns any promotion. In other words dial back the fastball to the low 90's and start pitching to contact. So sad that they will ruin his chances becoming a possible top of the rotation starter.
    Just like Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Money and years are the same to me....the issue is can you keep him or not, and that is largely money driven. Because even if he is awesome, you can still offer him a ton of money to keep him.

Let's just hope Meyer progresses and get through AA this year

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Good point messedup....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Other teams do the same thing with there guys, especially a Boras guy. Your God damn right its about the money. It is about getting an extra year out of a guy. What would you rather have: a full season of Meyer in 2013 or 2014 as a rookie learning the ropes and a free agent/trade candidate in 2017? Or a guy who plays half of 2014 (hopefully in a pennant race) and then a free agent/trade candidate in 2020? I would take the latter wouldn't you? I hope that we can't sign this guy long term because it means he maxed out his potential. Who knows, maybe a small market fan ENDS Boras...if you know what I'm saying

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a fair chance Meyer dominates at AA and gets to AAA in 2013. Garza dominated at those levels throwing nothing but fastballs. That was actually a point of contention. Even if he does, I still don't think we see Meyer in the majors until 2014. The Twins are going to have a hard time pushing a kid that young close to 200 innings. Or even 180. I suspect that it would take a special situation to see him with the Twins in 2013.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123