Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meyer in 2013?

Meyer in 2013?

I'm curious. Who thinks Meyer will be a member of Twins rotation during the 2013 season? And I mean before September.

Also, who thinks the FO actually expects that he will make it to the rotation during 2013? I'm talking about a July or August call-up here.

I personally think yes on both accounts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    I'm curious. Who thinks Meyer will be a member of Twins rotation during the 2013 season? And I mean before September.

Also, who thinks the FO actually expects that he will make it to the rotation during 2013? I'm talking about a July or August call-up here.

Nope

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    I'm thinking no way.

Meyer isn't "to far" off, but he still has to work on a few things before he is major league ready.
    1. He needs to fix his mechanics, hopefully this doesn't take to long, but it will take some time.
    2. He needs to work on his accuracy.
    3. He needs to continue to develop his change up.

The good news is he has already shown quite a bit of progression in regards to #2 and #3

Also, the Twins have zero real need to try to rush him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Nope, that would start his arbitration clock too fast. This team is all about money. Does not matter if he is the best pitcher in the organization next year or not, he will not be up. Not that I think he will be the best, just that it does not matter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Nope
    I agree with Puck...nope

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Nope, that would start his arbitration clock too fast. This team is all about money. Does not matter if he is the heat pitcher in the organization next year or not, he will not be up. Not that I think he will be the best, just that it does not matter.
    There is a point after June in which call-ups would not be counted as having a year if service time. There is super 2s, but still, a guy can get called up and pitch in the majors without it moving his Arbitration eligibility any closer than if he had spent the whole year in the minors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Amazing the difference in timelines people have. I'm under the assumption that Meyer won't be handed a rotation spot until mid-2014. This isn't a guy who is some polished college pitcher like Gibson was. As Rocketpig said, he has struggled with mechanics and control. Also there is little reason to rush him. Either the Twins are going to sign some real pitchers this year, in which case there shouldn't be a need to rush Meyer, or we're going to be absolutely terrible, in which case there still is no need to rush Meyer because he will make little impact on the Twins trajectory this year. Rushing Meyer just starts his clock a year sooner when he isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm thinking no way.

Meyer isn't "to far" off, but he still has to work on a few things before he is major league ready.
    1. He needs to fix his mechanics, hopefully this doesn't take to long, but it will take some time.
    2. He needs to work on his accuracy.
    3. He needs to continue to develop his change up.

The good news is he has already shown quite a bit of progression in regards to #2 and #3

Also, the Twins have zero real need to try to rush him.
    Going into this year Meyer will be older and have more professional innings logged than Matt Garzas had/was in 2006, the year he was called up.
    He will be a month older going into this season than Liam Hendricks was going into last season.

Every area of concern that you cited are things he has improved on steadily every year since he was a sophomore in college.

If he dominates AA through May and AAA through June he will get called up in July. Terry Ryan actually said as much on the day they made the trade.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 208 Times in 97 Posts
    If Meyer is up with the major league team in 2013, it won't be until September when they won't need to burn an option year to have him up.

I don't think we'll see him until June of 2014 at the very earliest.

And that's hoping against hope that his elbow doesn't explode in the meantime.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 12-05-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,198 Times in 1,698 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    AAs Rocketpig said, he has struggled with mechanics and control.
    I think it's also been said he lacks a reliable third pitch that you want a front-line starter to have, which additional time may allow to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    If Meyer is up with the major league team in 2013, it won't be until September when they won't need to burn an option year to have him up.

I don't think we'll see him until June of 2014 at the very earliest.
    I don't agree with that. I don't think they see Meyer as a guy that will roll through all his options. They see him as a guy who will stick once he arrives, so the options are a moot point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If he dominates AA through May and AAA through June he will get called up in July. Terry Ryan actually said as much on the day they made the trade.
    There's no guarantees he even starts this season in AA. Ryan hasn't committed to where he'll be placed yet. We won't see him with the Twins this regular season

There's no guarantees he even starts this season in AA. Ryan hasn't committed to where he'll be placed yet. We won't see him with the Twins this regular season
    There is no guarantees. But he will probably start at Double A. Is there a lot pitching blocking him in this organization?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it will be next year. Need to fix mechanics will slow him this year. Also Twins do not need to rush him this year if he is here next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Bret Myers? 20% chance.
    Alex Myer? 0% chance.

You don't f around with service time with a Scott Boras advised power pitcher. He will be up no sooner than June 2014, nor should he be.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    AAs Rocketpig said, he has struggled with mechanics and control.
    I think it's also been said he lacks a reliable third pitch that you want a front-line starter to have, which additional time may allow to develop.
    From Keith Law: "his changeup has improved to the point where it's probably a future-average pitch"

Again, it's something he has improved on steadily. But me, I think because he mostly throws a hard fastball that sinks and tails to the glove side, he can get by as primarily a two pitch starter with a hard slider that breaks the opposite way and gets rave reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Bret Myers? 20% chance.
    Alex Myer? 0% chance.

You don't f around with service time with a Scott Boras advised power pitcher. He will be up no sooner than June 2014, nor should he be.
    Point taken on Boras.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    mww, this "all about money" stuff is such hogwash. If Meyer was ready, he'd start the season with the big club, period.

We've been given no indications that he's ready.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    But come that 1 game playoff series he'll be ready! He'll be ready.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    You really believe money plays no factor in their decisions? I think we will disagree on that point......still hoping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast