Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Shopping Derek Holland

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rangers Shopping Derek Holland

With the Rangers believed to be very much involved in the Zack Greinke sweepstakes, Texas is a candidate to add a big-name starter this week, in which case the team may look to trade one of its in-house options. As such, rival teams are calling to inquire about the availability of left-hander Derek Holland, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter).
    The Brewers, Twins, and Royals are among the clubs that have been in touch with the Rangers about Holland, says Morosi.

What do you guys think it would take to get Derek Holland?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere and Morneau would both potentially be fits with Texas, I would think. It just depends on how the Rangers view those guys and what kind of supplemental package of players/money would have to be included.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think your right Jim, Morneau and Revere should get it done.

Blog Entries
    Hey, the Rangers need a catcher! I wonder...

nah... I won't go there again.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would think the Twins could get a couple of low level prospects as well, or at least one if Morneau and Revere were dealt for Holland. I would love the Twins to pull the trigger on this trade.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are valueing the trade as if Holland is on a long term contract. It would have to be a three to four year deal to make me interested in this price. His numbers have not been that good for his career, looks to me like a #3 starter. Revere and Morneau would be a huge price for a number 3 starter.

I have posted this several times since the offseason, Derek Holland is my absolute offseason grand slam acquisition!!!!
    He is gonna be a Cy Young candidate over the remainder of his career, especially if he gets out of Texas. He doesnt pitch well at home (5.34ERA career ) but very well on road (4.08.....3.50era last 2 yrs on road)
    Texas is currently without a C.....could the arbitration offer to Butera give MN the ability to send Doumit (among others) to TEX (had GREAT success with Napoli....very Doumit like)
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Holland is signed cheaply for the next five years and the Rangers are going to market him as an ace which he's not. I have a hard time believing they wont ask for more than Revere and one year of Morneau even if the Twins do eat half his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    You are valueing the trade as if Holland is on a long term contract. It would have to be a three to four year deal to make me interested in this price. His numbers have not been that good for his career, looks to me like a #3 starter. Revere and Morneau would be a huge price for a number 3 starter.
    Holland IS signed for 4yr 26m with 2 team options of 11m......in 6 yrs you will NOT be able to get someone this good at that deal!!!!

Blog Entries
    Just to be clear, I actually wasn't suggesting the Twins trade Revere AND Morneau for Holland... just saying both guys seem to be potential fits in Texas, if the two sides could figure out ways to balance out the deal equitably.

People much smarter than I would have to figure out what constiutes "balance".
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 12-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Holland is signed cheaply for the next five years and the Rangers are going to market him as an ace which he's not. I have a hard time believing they wont ask for more than Revere and one year of Morneau even if the Twins do eat half his salary.
    Im pretty sure Nolan Ryan knowns Derek Holland isnt an ACE. Maybe he thinks he is a low end #2. His stats definitely indicate he is not an ace. Just like the poster above, I think getting him out of Texas would be great for him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    I don't think Texas has much need for Revere or Morneau at this point. With Borbon and Martin, they already have speedy centerfielders with hitting issues. Morneau has enough question marks and salary that going with Moreland, and maybe Olt during the year sometime, makes more sense.

Having said that, Texas might make other moves that change the situation.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,295 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect the price will be high as there will be too many other bidders capable of trading a top tier prospect for a chance to solidify their rotation for a pennant run now. But it's worth Ryan's time inquiring - Holland fits the 2015 time frame better than a lot of options being discussed, even at a cost that disrupts 2013 somewhat.

Blog Entries
    I don't know the Rangers roster inside and out, but I guess I was just basing my thoughts on the fact that they were reportedly trying hard to re-sign Napoli, primarily to play 1B and DH, and it would seem Morneau would fill any need they thought they had for Napoli... and probably better. As for Revere, I was figuring any team that used Josh Hamilton in CF as much as the Rangers did would seem to be able to make some use out of Revere. Whether they need Revere's offensive skill set or not is certainly open to question and could depend on whether they make any of the deals they've been rumored to be considering regarding some of their infielders.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    Acquiring Holland would be a great move for TR, but I'm not sure the Twins have the pieces to get a trade done.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    lmao, Holland is not an ace and he won't be a Cy Young candidate.

With that said I would take him in a heartbeat, and would give up Revere+Morneau in a heartbeat for him. But I doubt the Rangers would bite on a 4th OF and an expensive injured 1st baseman.

I'm not sure why people want to trade Doumit, we finally get a really nice back up C and we want to dump him?

Ummm, no thanks to 200+ at bats from Drew ****ing Butera.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    lmao, Holland is not an ace and he won't be a Cy Young candidate.

With that said I would take him in a heartbeat, and would give up Revere+Morneau in a heartbeat for him. But I doubt the Rangers would bite on a 4th OF and an expensive injured 1st baseman.

I'm not sure why people want to trade Doumit, we finally get a really nice back up C and we want to dump him?

Ummm, no thanks to 200+ at bats from Drew ****ing Butera.

No, Holland isn't an ace. He's about on par with Scott Baker in my estimation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Im pretty sure Nolan Ryan knowns Derek Holland isnt an ACE. Maybe he thinks he is a low end #2. His stats definitely indicate he is not an ace. Just like the poster above, I think getting him out of Texas would be great for him.
    Ryan obviously knows he's not an ace, thats why he's pushing for Greinke to replace him. That doesn't mean he's not going to use his age and team friendly(ish) deal to ask for an ace's expected return. I don't know how the Twins could get him without losing at least one of their big name prospects.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Ryan obviously knows he's not an ace, thats why he's pushing for Greinke to replace him. That doesn't mean he's not going to use his age and team friendly(ish) deal to ask for an ace's expected return. I don't know how the Twins could get him without losing at least one of their big name prospects.
    Yeah, it could be argued that Holland has quite a bit more "value" then Span...and look at what Washington had to send back in order to get him.

We are looking at a minimum of one of Rosario/Hicks/Arcia most likely.

I am holding to my Holland is an ace view (or a strong #2type on a good team). I am a huge fan of his. There is nothing to not like about him.
    Young (26), throws hard (93mph fastball in 12), strikeout pitcher (7.4 last 2 yrs), great contract, lefty, postseason success......nothing to not like.
    With KC interested & having Will Myers to dangle.....chances are slim if they want him first. Doubt Ryan would dangle anyone of prospect status in top 4/5.
    Not gonna happen, but this would be MY great offseason move!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast