Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Is Marcum the Twins' Best Hope?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    In my mind hes a number 3 pitcher.
    On what team, the Phillies?? Seeing him referred to as a No. 3 or a "weak No. 2" tells me that some people have absolutely unrealistic expectations about the rotation. The Twins would be lucky to have a pitcher of his caliber as their top guy next year, as would a number of other teams.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is is our best hope. We can't possibly sign anybody better.
    He's a No. 1 on our staff. He's a #3 on a normal staff, or a #4 on the Phillies or Rangers.

Liked 1,579 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    On what team, the Phillies?? Seeing him referred to as a No. 3 or a "weak No. 2" tells me that some people have absolutely unrealistic expectations about the rotation. The Twins would be lucky to have a pitcher of his caliber as their top guy next year, as would a number of other teams.
    Yeah. It's probably not just Twins fans that expect too much. Some dude named Jeff Sackmann compiled the results of the 2006 season and found what rotation spots league-wide averaged in ERA.

Spot_ #1_ #2 _#3 _#4_ #5
    MLB 3.60 4.14 4.58 5.10 6.24

AL 3.70 4.24 4.58 5.09 6.22

NL 3.51 4.04 4.57 5.11 6.26

Marcum posted ERA's of 3.64, 3.54, and 3.70 the past three seasons. So by definition, about half the teams in baseball got less from their 'ace' than the Jays and Brewers did from Marcum. and even if he regresses (age, league switch, etc) to his FIP/xFIP territory, he's still a legit #2 in the AL. I think when people think #3 starter, they tend to think of a guy whose ERA is about 4 or ideally a bit under, but most teams are lucky to get that from their #2 guy. Btw, Sackmann included the injury fill-ins, so the replacement-level guys really drag down the 4th and 5th spots.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 12-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Five #1s or bust, Nick.

In my opinion this is not the year to sign the top free agent pitcher. We need 4 to compete for the division which thanks to the Pohlad family we will not until our prospects mature. Signing Marcum adds a handful of wins to a ninety loss team. I say we don't waste the first and probably second year of a long term deal this year. Wait until we are competitive again and then go all in. Realistically this is a rebuilding year and anyone who does not see that is blind

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Marcum is actually perfect since he won't require a long term deal. Just because you are rebuilding it doesn't mean that you have to go the Marlins route and not try to win a few games. Marcum clearly won't be blocking anyone decent and it's not like he's going to get this crazy deal like some of the FA starters.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Marcum is a front line type of pitcher and I've been hoping for him all offseason. He's expensive, but not too expensive.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    No he our last hope.

Umm, guys, best hope? Not. Hear tell the Mets kinda looking to move Johan Santana and are willing to eat some of the $25 mil/yr contract he has in 2013 (2014 is an option year). Yeah, he's older - he turns 34 on 13 March, hardly OTH (if only I were that young again!). Sure, he got injured a couple times during his NY tenure (with his lack of run support, it's a wonder he didn't have a nervous breakdown), missed 2011 with TJS, and had a losing record last year -- for the Mets (like, who didn't?). Dude threw 199 innings in 2010, 117 last year despite it all, and seemed +/- his old self again. So who are the Twins willing to trade to get braddah Johan back with a goodly part of his salary left back in NY? Willingham, Plouffe, Rivera, Morneau and a percentage on beer concessions at Target Field? Or perhaps it wouldn't eat into the roster that much - remember the Mets are "rebuilding." How about a hot high class A pitcher who was the 23rd pick in the 2011 Amateur Draft and would best ripen on the farm 'til 2015? It could also save face, 'cause from out here the Twins look like they wen' got took by the Nats, again. Just a thought from a distance - perhaps my perspective is skewed by the 90 degrees and 95% humidity.

P.S. Would the owners please trade Sir Ryan and whatever else it takes to Cincy for Walt Jocketty? Please!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    remember the Mets are "rebuilding."
    They are not the only team...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12