Thread: Shane Victorino to the Red Sox

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Shane Victorino to the Red Sox

Red Sox Signed Shane Victorino to a 3 year 39 million dollar deal.

Obviously CFs are highly valued this year and I honestly think Span is better than Victorino and they only reason the Twins only got Meyers for Span was due to his injuries. If he would have been 100% healthy last year im absolutely positive the Twins could have got much more for him.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    dont forget who did the trading

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Simply crazy dollars continuing to be spent... Red Sox giving this deal after the Napoli deal. Just wow!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Simply crazy dollars continuing to be spent... Red Sox giving this deal after the Napoli deal. Just wow!
    But the Red Sox have a crap ton of money after unloading all the contracts. What harm does a 3 year deal do? In the Grand Scheme of things to the Red Sox a 3 year deal is harmless.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    center fielder's definitely have a high value this year......that is why we got a Single A pitcher for Span and nothing more

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    KLAW called it the worst contract in the offseason so far, for a platoon player and 4th OFer....ouch.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    center fielder's definitely have a high value this year......that is why we got a Single A pitcher for Span and nothing more
    So your saying that BJ Uptons contract and Victorinos dont show how much value CFs have? Not to mention what Josh Hamilton is about to get and what Bourne is going to get.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    KLAW called it the worst contract in the offseason so far, for a platoon player and 4th OFer....ouch.
    He is probably right, not going to argue there.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aren't they both 3/39? Those are great deals, in my view, for solid guys. The Red Sox are playing smart this time around by keeping deals under 4 years. Those are not crazy dollars spent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The Victorino contract? Why? The guy is one year removed from an .847 OPS and a near 20/20 season. And Victorino is roughly an average defender, I believe. And lord knows that the Red Sox clubhouse needs a guy like Victorino who is very highly regarded as a good guy and leader.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, one year removed from a near 20/20/20 (the third one being triples!).

Also it is interesting how anyone can call a switch hitter a "platoon" player.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    But the Red Sox have a crap ton of money after unloading all the contracts. What harm does a 3 year deal do? In the Grand Scheme of things to the Red Sox a 3 year deal is harmless.
    A bad deal is a bad deal, no matter who makes it... Teams like the Red Sox are just able to overcome bad deals more easily than most teams like the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post

A bad deal is a bad deal, no matter who makes it... Teams like the Red Sox are just able to overcome bad deals more easily than most teams like the Twins.

Thats what i was saying Seth. I dont know if you you misinterpreted what i meant.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Aren't they both 3/39? Those are great deals, in my view, for solid guys. The Red Sox are playing smart this time around by keeping deals under 4 years. Those are not crazy dollars spent.
    I like the Napoli deal. Victorino was probably overpaid a little bit.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I love how the Red Sox are basically bidding against themselves for these players. Napoli has like no defensive value, and rates as an average 1st baseman/DH guy at best.

Victorino? Yikes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I love how the Red Sox are basically bidding against themselves for these players. Napoli has like no defensive value, and rates as an average 1st baseman/DH guy at best.

Victorino? Yikes.
    On top of that the Red Sox are interested in trading Ellsbury now that they have Victorino and are also interested in signing Eric Chavez.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Okay, I know it's not a hugely focused board on all of baseball, so I can see Bourn misspellings, but the newest Twin is Alex Meyer, not Meyers.

This deal is ridiculous as Victorino is a horrible clubhouse guy, is nowhere near a CF anymore, and is on the downside of his career. I was not happy with the BJ Upton numbers, but I could see them being low by the time that deal is done the way money is rolling around.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!