Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haren to sign 1 year, $13 million deal with Nats

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries

Haren to sign 1 year, $13 million deal with Nats

Just saw it on MLB network. Now, maybe, pretty please, can people stop freaking about what Scott Feldman means to the market?

Also, the Nationals are going to dominate for years.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welp, I guess we can... Cross him off the list.

Fair deal for Haren for one year, make-good contract.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When he was available for a trade for almost nothing at 1 year/$12M a month ago, we wondered if 29 teams (including the Twins) would regret not making that deal. Looks like it that was true.

As I wrote this morning, this further drives home that #2 pitchers are going for $12-15M/year this offseason. If Haren is getting that, then I have to think they'll all be getting that.

McCarthy can't go going for much less than $10M annually now, can he?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 133 Times in 72 Posts
    Never an option for the shrinking budget, getting smaller market twinkies.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Haren would have been nice, but he really doesn't address anything other then the short term pitching problem. If the Twins sign a #2 type guy, I want him to be around in 2014 and 2015 as well.

And I seriously doubt Haren would have taken a 2 or 3 year deal at this point as his best bet is to:
    1. Goto a winner to rebuild his value.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 50 Posts
    If I'm Haren, and if the money is all equal, I'd rather sign with the Nats than the Twins.

Still, where was TR on this? This is a deal the Twins absolutely could have afforded.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Wow, Nats must not be concerned about his health.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    If I'm Haren, and if the money is all equal, I'd rather sign with the Nats than the Twins.

Still, where was TR on this? This is a deal the Twins absolutely could have afforded.
    Even if the twins went 14 million , Haren would have signed with washington, i think.
    He has a chance to pitch for the front runners this off season or take 7% more and pitch for maybe the worst team in all of baseball?
    Was a smart move if he recovers and pitches to his ability, with next years bump in tv revenue and a chance to be show cased in the post season , haren can cash in on a long term deal next year ....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Welp, I guess we can... Cross him off the list.

Fair deal for Haren for one year, make-good contract.
    I remember when a player would sign for less than 5 million on a make good contract. My how times have changed. Baseball is getting ridiculous with all the money.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    More like he's their 4th starter with Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman with Detwiler rounding out the rotation. He's basically their Edwin Jackson for this season.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Blog Entries
    8 consecutive seasons with 30+ starts. Nationals getting away with theft at this point.

I am not sure how this is a "make-good contract" at all. It looks like he wants the chance to headline the FA pitching class next year.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two and three years ago, the Nats couldn't get folks to sign with them even when they offered the most money. That is where the Twins are now.
    Last edited by h2oface; 12-05-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: corrected caps, complying with a warning email

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins have got to pony up. or It all over for another two years.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Haren would have been nice, but he really doesn't address anything other then the short term pitching problem. If the Twins sign a #2 type guy, I want him to be around in 2014 and 2015 as well.

And I seriously doubt Haren would have taken a 2 or 3 year deal at this point as his best bet is to:
    1. Goto a winner to rebuild his value.
    If haren did pitch to his abilitys and then the twins offered him a qualifing offer we would have at least recieved a sandwich pick,
    and had haren for 1 year, but im guessing we would have needed to make him a 15-16 million dollar offer to even get him to step into our suite to talk

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Nationals and Dan Haren have agreed to a one-year, $13 million contract, pending a physical.

The physical isn't a slam dunk given recent concerns about his hip and back, but assuming he passes, he'll join a rotation which includes Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann and Ross Detwiler. It's a pretty good spot for Haren, who gets to pitch in the easier league and wouldn't be expected to be the carry the load for the rotation. The signing figures to take away one potential suitor for free agent right-hander Zack Greinke.

Blog Entries
    Greinke will go to the Dodgers for something ridiculous.
    Sanchez will go to the Tigers for something ridiculous.
    Josh Hamilton will go to the Mariners for something ridiculous.

I wish these two things would happen soon to clear away some of the mess.

Makin the prediction on first pitcher acquired will be a trade for Ricky Nolasco. We will include a semi solid prospect like Salcedo and/or Benson types & instead of Miami including cash....Mn will instead send Nick Blackburn to South Beach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    More like he's their 4th starter with Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman with Detwiler rounding out the rotation. He's basically their Edwin Jackson for this season.
    If Dan Haren is to the Nats what Edwin Jackson has been to the Rays, then I would expect the Nats rotation to be pretty dominant.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    If Dan Haren is to the Nats what Edwin Jackson has been to the Rays, then I would expect the Nats rotation to be pretty dominant.
    Say what? Edwin Jackson was with the Nats last year. He was their one-year signing last year that went out and earned himself a likely multi year deal.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That team is going to win 100 games next year. Damn. I wish I was living in D.C. and cheering for that team right now. They already had the best record in baseball and they make a deal to get a solid CF/leadoff guy and top of the rotation veteran. The division race is officially over.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast