Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Crasnick: Joe Blanton a "prime target" for Twins

  1. #1

    Crasnick: Joe Blanton a "prime target" for Twins

    If this hasn't been mentioned already, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick had some notes from the winter meetings today that are relevant to the Twins:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-more-pitching

    His article mentions that Joe Blanton is a prime target for the Twins, which, I suppose shouldn't be surprising. He also mentions pitchers such as Kevin Correia, Brett Myers, John Lannan, Mike Pelfrey, and Vincente Padilla (???) as possible targets.

    I would expect the Twins to sign at least one of these types and think that Blanton, Myers, or Pelfrey could be decent additions and provide some depth/insurance for the development of Kyle Gibson and Liam Hendricks. Hopefully the price will be right if adding any of these.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    526
    Like
    57
    Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
    Blanton would't be one of my top choices. I'd rather they got after someone like Carlos Villanueva who has pitched both as starter and reliever. If we gave him a 3-year deal, he could eventually help in relief when our rotation of the future - Diamond, Gibson, Meyer, Berrios, and maybe Salcedo are in place.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by puckett1992 View Post
    If this hasn't been mentioned already, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick had some notes from the winter meetings today that are relevant to the Twins:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-more-pitching

    His article mentions that Joe Blanton is a prime target for the Twins, which, I suppose shouldn't be surprising. He also mentions pitchers such as Kevin Correia, Brett Myers, John Lannan, Mike Pelfrey, and Vincente Padilla (???) as possible targets.

    I would expect the Twins to sign at least one of these types and think that Blanton, Myers, or Pelfrey could be decent additions and provide some depth/insurance for the development of Kyle Gibson and Liam Hendricks. Hopefully the price will be right if adding any of these.
    Oh Lord, please don't sign Blanton...

  4. #4
    I hope this isn't Terry Ryan's quote of we're going to Chase a pretty darn good pitcher cause if it is we are in trouble

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,599
    Like
    244
    Liked 184 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?
    Well, yeah. But it's a really low bar.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?
    I guess I feel that if they aren't going to go after at least a #2 and #3 type pitcher in free agency (and I don't mean a pitcher who would qualify as a #2 or #3 for us, but a real #2 and #3), then there's no reason to go after anyone. Blanton would be a waste of money
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,254
    Like
    77
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    2010- 4.82 era, era+ 85 whip 1.417. 2011- 5.01 era, era+ 77 whip 1.476. 2012- 4.71 era era+ 84 whip 1.262 and he'll be 32. All these stats, of course, in the National League.
    How much do you expect these to go up in the AL?
    He looks like he'd fit right into last years rotation!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

  9. #9
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,033
    Like
    1,752
    Liked 1,216 Times in 487 Posts
    John Lannan was born to pitch for the Twins.



    4.7 k/9, in the NL, sign me up.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  10. #10
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    John Lannan was born to pitch for the Twins.

    4.7 k/9, in the NL, sign me up.
    The upside is that a 4.7 K/9 can't possibly drop much with a transition to the AL.

  11. #11
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,033
    Like
    1,752
    Liked 1,216 Times in 487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The upside is that a 4.7 K/9 can't possibly drop much with a transition to the AL.

    True, but the already mediocre 3.4 bb/9 rate that goes with it could very well get worse.


    I laugh now, but I'm prepared to cry when it actually happens.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Blanton would't be one of my top choices. I'd rather they got after someone like Carlos Villanueva who has pitched both as starter and reliever. If we gave him a 3-year deal, he could eventually help in relief when our rotation of the future - Diamond, Gibson, Meyer, Berrios, and maybe Salcedo are in place.
    Villanueva is an interesting option that hasn't been mentioned much over the last few weeks. I also wonder about the status of Edwin Jackson and Shaun Marcum and what is required to get those mid-tier type of guys. The fact the Nationals let Jackson go and don't seem interested in re-signing him, and Jackson's bouncing around from team to team the last number of years, make one wonder about his mental makeup in addition to his stuff.

  13. #13
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    90
    Like
    3
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    lannan is better than what the Twins have now.....we need pitchers

  14. #14
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,482
    Like
    3,480
    Liked 2,992 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Joe Blanton a prime target for Twins.


    In Terry I trust?

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Blanton sucks, but I would rather have him at 1 year 2 mil then Dempster at 3 years. We still need to target a top tier guy though.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,727
    Like
    1,558
    Liked 1,579 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?
    Well, yeah. But it's a really low bar.
    He's put up FIPs in the high 3's and xFIP's in the low 3's the past two seasons, with K rates around 7.5 per nine. It's certainly debatable whether it's worth what he'll cost to have him pitch for a team that appears at the moment to not be planning on contending in 2013. But he's clearly a decent bet to be better than the likely in-house solutions to fill one of the non-Diamond rotation spots.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?
    Well, yeah. But it's a really low bar.
    He's put up FIPs in the high 3's and xFIP's in the low 3's the past two seasons, with K rates around 7.5 per nine. It's certainly debatable whether it's worth what he'll cost to have him pitch for a team that appears at the moment to not be planning on contending in 2013. But he's clearly a decent bet to be better than the likely in-house solutions to fill one of the non-Diamond rotation spots.
    So a poor defense has caused his ERA to be inflated? I ask because our defense wasn't good last year and it just got worse a few days ago

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    831
    Like
    401
    Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    Terry Ryan didn't say Joe Blanton was a prime target, Chief. Jerry Crasnick did. Ye of little faith...

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?
    Well, yeah. But it's a really low bar.
    He's put up FIPs in the high 3's and xFIP's in the low 3's the past two seasons, with K rates around 7.5 per nine. It's certainly debatable whether it's worth what he'll cost to have him pitch for a team that appears at the moment to not be planning on contending in 2013. But he's clearly a decent bet to be better than the likely in-house solutions to fill one of the non-Diamond rotation spots.
    Interesting, I didn't even realize that. FWIW: Bill James has him as a 4.10 ERA guy this year.
    It also looks like he has a rather high HR%, maybe a move to Target Field could help him a bit? With that xFIP and FIP the past two years, maybe he is a good "buy low" candidate. I could get behind a one year deal for him. Thanks for pointing that out, I never would have checked to be honest.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is Joe Blanton even an upgrade?
    Well, yeah. But it's a really low bar.
    He's put up FIPs in the high 3's and xFIP's in the low 3's the past two seasons, with K rates around 7.5 per nine. It's certainly debatable whether it's worth what he'll cost to have him pitch for a team that appears at the moment to not be planning on contending in 2013. But he's clearly a decent bet to be better than the likely in-house solutions to fill one of the non-Diamond rotation spots.
    So a poor defense has caused his ERA to be inflated? I ask because our defense wasn't good last year and it just got worse a few days ago
    It looks like his HR% increased it, as well as a slight increase in BABIP and decrease in strand rate, who knows and maybe some bad luck?, and once Hicks is up our defense will probably be better then last year (OF wise), but since he actually strikes out people (unlike the rest of our rotation) it shouldn't matter as much? It is hard to argue with that K/BB ratio.

    I don't think xFIP and FIP are an end all be all, but it does suggest that he was a bit undervalued.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.