Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Twins Offer Dempster A 3-Year Deal?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Everyone on here wants to save money, remember you don't get that money, the owner just puts it his pocket and laughs at you.
    Exactly..
    Completely wrong, actually. There is a finite amount of money available for the Twins to spend on payroll, and that doesn't just fluctuate year to year. Saving one year may mean spending another year. To say that you know exactly what the Twins' payroll plans are for the coming several years is just wrong. You don't.
    Cool, so we should expect the Twins to spend that saved 18M the saved last year from 2011 payroll?

Twins spent 112M in 2011, 94M in 2012, so will they A: not only got back to 112M, but add an additional 1*M they saved? Or B: just go up to 112 again?

Or is it neither?
    Sounds like a rhetorical question. Why don't you spare us the condescension and let us know?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Cool, so we should expect the Twins to spend that saved 18M the saved last year from 2011 payroll?

Twins spent 112M in 2011, 94M in 2012, so will they A: not only got back to 112M, but add an additional 1*M they saved? Or B: just go up to 112 again?

Or is it neither?
    While I hate getting into payroll debates, it's worth noting that the Twins went over their budget in 2010 to get Pavano in January. $112m isn't really a fair baseline to use, as it was a conscious overspending based on a specific opportunity.
    The 112M was in 2011, not 2010...and the payroll wasn't to go for it after a disappointing finish to a promising 2010 season. It was mostly for pay raises due. Remember Mauer's pay raise kicked in...just for one example. In fact, payroll went up, even after they jettisoned their starting middle IFs and gutted their bullpen. There was no talent gain for 2011 to show they were going for it. Raises were just due.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Everyone on here wants to save money, remember you don't get that money, the owner just puts it his pocket and laughs at you.
    Exactly..
    Completely wrong, actually. There is a finite amount of money available for the Twins to spend on payroll, and that doesn't just fluctuate year to year. Saving one year may mean spending another year. To say that you know exactly what the Twins' payroll plans are for the coming several years is just wrong. You don't.

Or is it neither?
    Sounds like a rhetorical question. Why don't you spare us the condescension and let us know?
    I wasn't trying to be condescending. I was hoping to get an answer. If it came off that way, it was not intentional.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with the aspect that the Twins should spend money, and the fans should expect and want them to spend money. But I think if they want to spend money just to spend money they are hurting the franchise for years to come. Now because of the draft/cba situation a little bit more organizational money is able to go to payroll, however if you start giving 3-4-5 year deals to 35+ year old pitchers or pitchers with arm problems, you are asking for trouble. Now at the same time that doesn't mean you go dumpster diving to get your rotation but you still have to be somewhat smart about it.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts

Or is it neither?
    While I hate getting into payroll debates, it's worth noting that the Twins went over their budget in 2010 to get Pavano in January. $112m isn't really a fair baseline to use, as it was a conscious overspending based on a specific opportunity.
    Yeah, I don't get it, and the constant bitching about payroll gives me tired head. We aren't even in Janurary yet, now is not the time to worry about total payroll. I do know one thing, spending money for the sole sake of spending money is a really bad idea, especially when you are talking long term deals. At this point I'm much more worried about our payroll obligations for 2014/2015 then I am for 2013. In a perfect world the Twins would sign a top tier pitcher to a long term deal, and any of the guys who project to be #4/#5's be brought it on one year deals and potentially a two year deal as long as it isn't to expensive.

At the end of the day: Give me Hendriks as our #5 then giving a guy like Dempster 3 years, as there actually is a pretty decent chance Hendriks gives you similar value for about 12 million+ less a year.

Bringing Dempster aboard for veteran leadership for younger pitchers on the staff would be ideal, but going more than 2 years on Dempster is asking for trouble. He also seems better suited for the NL given his stuff, though he only played 2 months with Texas this past year with pretty sub-par results in a pennant race.

Based on reports from the mlbtraderumors site several days ago, Dempster rejected a 2 year/$26 million offer from the Brewers, so 3 years/$39 million may do it, but I would hope the Twins would only give a third year as an option and not at $13 million for the third year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone know if there's an official place to look this up? I recall (thus completely untrustworthy) an interview with Dave St. Peter from around April that indicated the revenue sharing situation for the Twins was changing due to Target Field. To my (untrustworthy) recollection, I believe St. Peter indicated the Twins received a large amount from revenue sharing in 2010, since it was determined by the previous financials from the Metrodome. Then the revenue sharing in 2011 was relatively neutral, and in 2012 the Twins started paying in fairly significantly. So out of all of that payroll cut from 2011 to 2012, a good bit of it actually went to revenue sharing, not the owners' pockets.

Granted I suspect they probably could afford to pay much more in payroll, I'm not really arguing that at all. I don't have access to financials, though. But I get a little crosseyed every time year-to-year payrolls are compared to each other in exclusion of everything else.

Edit: Doing some of my own checking, I came across the quote I was thinking of, and I wasn't remembering it quite correctly. From this article, http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...=3051&c=340212, he's quoted as saying:
    On the radio, St. Peter also gave a clear answer to a question many of us have had: How has the team’s revenue sharing picture changed since it left the Metrodome? St. Peter said the Twins were collecting about $20 million in revenue sharing money in their final years at the Dome. After a one-year grace period that teams get when they move into a new ballpark, the Twins paid $10 million into the revenue sharing pot this year.

That’s a $30 million swing, when comparing the Twins revenues in 2009 and 2011.
    Last edited by ericchri; 12-03-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Your recollection is mostly correct except for 2011 being neutral, the payed into Revenue Sharing into 2011 and 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

Or is it neither?
    Yeah, I don't get it, and the constant bitching about payroll gives me tired head. We aren't even in Janurary yet, now is not the time to worry about total payroll. I do know one thing, spending money for the sole sake of spending money is a really bad idea, especially when you are talking long term deals. At this point I'm much more worried about our payroll obligations for 2014/2015 then I am for 2013. In a perfect world the Twins would sign a top tier pitcher to a long term deal, and any of the guys who project to be #4/#5's be brought it on one year deals and potentially a two year deal as long as it isn't to expensive.

At the end of the day: Give me Hendriks as our #5 then giving a guy like Dempster 3 years, as there actually is a pretty decent chance Hendriks gives you similar value for about 12 million+ less a year.
    Getting somewhat back to the original topic, Hendriks is a way better gamble as similar value as a back end guy than 3/39 for Dempster, no brainer in my opinion. Getting Dempster on those terms definitely fits into the spending money to spend money philosophy.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 12-03-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puckett1992 View Post
    Bringing Dempster aboard for veteran leadership for younger pitchers on the staff would be ideal, but going more than 2 years on Dempster is asking for trouble. He also seems better suited for the NL given his stuff, though he only played 2 months with Texas this past year with pretty sub-par results in a pennant race.

Based on reports from the mlbtraderumors site several days ago, Dempster rejected a 2 year/$26 million offer from the Brewers, so 3 years/$39 million may do it, but I would hope the Twins would only give a third year as an option and not at $13 million for the third year.
    If Dempster turned down 2/26 from an NL team I doubt he would agree to 2/26 + 1/13 option from an AL team, unless the buy out on that option was abnormally high.

I think he is going to push for as many years as he can get, as this very well could be his last contract.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    So....another thread in which many of the same people who campaigned to solve our pitching woes in free agency balking at the completely normal overpayments required to sign free agents? Jesus....ST can't come soon enough. Watching Duensing start is less obnoxious.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would do a 3/39 for him as he is likely to give us 200 ip per year around a 4.00 era (this is why I liked the Pavano deal 2 years ago as he should have given us similare results) but Dempster is likely to k 7or 8 per 9 innings for most the contract. Do it and move on to Myers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Anyone know if there's an official place to look this up? I recall (thus completely untrustworthy) an interview with Dave St. Peter from around April that indicated the revenue sharing situation for the Twins was changing due to Target Field. To my (untrustworthy) recollection, I believe St. Peter indicated the Twins received a large amount from revenue sharing in 2010, since it was determined by the previous financials from the Metrodome. Then the revenue sharing in 2011 was relatively neutral, and in 2012 the Twins started paying in fairly significantly. So out of all of that payroll cut from 2011 to 2012, a good bit of it actually went to revenue sharing, not the owners' pockets.

Granted I suspect they probably could afford to pay much more in payroll, I'm not really arguing that at all. I don't have access to financials, though. But I get a little crosseyed every time year-to-year payrolls are compared to each other in exclusion of everything else.

Edit: Doing some of my own checking, I came across the quote I was thinking of, and I wasn't remembering it quite correctly. From this article, http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...=3051&c=340212, he's quoted as saying:
    On the radio, St. Peter also gave a clear answer to a question many of us have had: How has the team’s revenue sharing picture changed since it left the Metrodome? St. Peter said the Twins were collecting about $20 million in revenue sharing money in their final years at the Dome. After a one-year grace period that teams get when they move into a new ballpark, the Twins paid $10 million into the revenue sharing pot this year.

That’s a $30 million swing, when comparing the Twins revenues in 2009 and 2011.
    Now THAT was actually fantastic info. I learned something there. Thanks for that.

Now, let me ask this question. Does that mean TF is only gonna allow us to raise payroll by 23M from 2007's payroll? Considering that was 6 years ago and how salaries have gone up quite a bit since then (Upton's new ridiculous salary, for example), the new park basically just allowed the Twins to stay more or less at the same pay rate?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So....another thread in which many of the same people who campaigned to solve our pitching woes in free agency balking at the completely normal overpayments required to sign free agents? Jesus....ST can't come soon enough. Watching Duensing start is less obnoxious.
    I have no problem over paying for players, those players have to be better then Ryan Dempster though. This team needs front line starters, not more #4/#5 types. I'd be shocked if Dempster were able to post a sub 4.00 ERA in the AL

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    I have no problem over paying for players, those players have to be better then Ryan Dempster though. This team needs front line starters, not more #4/#5 types. I'd be shocked if Dempster were able to post a sub 4.00 ERA in the AL
    Except there really aren't any frontline pitchers. There are a bunch of #3s that people are touting better than that and Zach Grienke. So get used to this.

Except there really aren't any frontline pitchers. There are a bunch of #3s that people are touting better than that and Zach Grienke. So get used to this.
    I think Sanchez is a #2 to be honest as is Haren. Jackson and Marcum are sort of on the fringe of being good #3's as well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Sanchez is a #2 to be honest as is Haren. Jackson and Marcum are sort of on the fringe of being good #3's as well.
    Which is better than anything we have. So lets go after em!

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Call me crazy but I think spending 115 million this year would be stupid.

As for Dempster... I'd be happy if Terry Ryan identified one guy... One guy who makes sense for at least 3 years or more and go get him. I don't care what they pay him... I care if they land him. If TR thinks Dempster is that guy... It wouldn't be my choice but Ok...

One guy... And then bargain shop with some prove it deals. One guy who could be on the roster when Meyer hits town. If he signed for a price that makes Vodkadave throw up... I don't care. Pick the guy you like best and get him.

Did I mention... I don't think that guy is Dempster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Did I mention... I don't think that guy is Dempster.
    You've been pretty vague about that...:-)

It's not about overpaying for Dempster or anyone else, it's about overpaying Dempster for 3 years being wrong. I'm under no illusion it's going to cost to get what we want and we need to pay it, I'm saying what we want shouldn't be Dempster for 3 years.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 12-03-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast