Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Twins Offer Dempster A 3-Year Deal?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Should Twins Offer Dempster A 3-Year Deal?

It appears the Twins are looking hard at Dempster, and it appears he's pushing interested teams for a 3-year deal. That might be all that it takes to nab the 35-year-old who has been a dependable horse for the last five years.

I don't know if the Twins could get him at 3/39, but I have to think they have a shot at 3/42. Would you do it? His baseball reference page is here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ww.typepad.com

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts
    Absolutely not. Dempster is a #4 at best in the AL and he is getting old. If you want a guy who can give you 200+ IP of mediocre (4.50ERA) pitching, why not just sign Pavano to a minimum deal?

I would be ok with a 1 year deal for Dempster, but anything more then that? Pass.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Yuck.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,193 Times in 636 Posts
    I'd rather live with the ultimate realities that 2013 will be bringing, focus on 2014 and beyond and not get locked into a 35 year old pitcher like Dempster for 3 years. About the only plus would be him somehow pitching well enough to flip him for a prospect to a contending team at the deadline in 2014. Don't see that happening.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Yikes. A two year deal is about as far as I would go. It appears he did pitch better on the road last year, and with more strikeouts, but a three year deal for an aging pitcher is pushing the limits I would say.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope. Too many dollars for the projected return. I would rather see Minor League offers on guys than a 3 year contract here.

Nope! with a team rebuilding he's old and a soft tosser don't want or need him

Saw a tweet that Tigers offered Sanchez 4/48 - would you rather try to beat that?

edit : Now Jason Beck says 4/48 not accurate - disregard
    Last edited by TwinsFanInPhilly; 12-03-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: new information

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Not my first choice...for less money, maybe, but I do not think that is what you are asking.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it just me, or is anyone else amused at how much consternation there is over the Twins so far doing nothing to address next year's pitching staff, and yet there's constant derision over almost every potential contract being thrown out as a possibility. Just to lump myself amongst the people I'm chiding, 3 years for a 35 year old pitcher seems like a bad idea to me, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    Saw a tweet that Tigers offered Sanchez 4/48 - would you rather try to beat that?
    Uhh, yes, yes I would. Sanchez is 7 years younger and a significantly better pitcher. I would gladly give him 4/50-52 then 3/42 for Dempster. I would do as high as 5/60-62 for sanchez.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Uhh, yes, yes I would. Sanchez is 7 years younger and a significantly better pitcher. I would gladly give him 4/50-52 then 3/42 for Dempster. I would do as high as 5/60-62 for sanchez.
    Your 5/62 would not even get you a phone call back. This guy is going to get 6 years I would bet money on it. This is the problem with signing top-tier free agents. It just doesn't work. You have to build through your farm system and trades. There is no way any of these guys are worth this amount of money. Dempster for 3 years...at age 35, no chance. Forget it. We need to keep looking for the bargains. We may suck next year, but I'd rather suck with a low payroll than suck a little less with a high payroll. Use that money to resign our guys when they turn into to studs: for example a guy like Meyer is a Boras client. Save that money and try to sign him early for long term (which is probably not going to happen because Boras is the worst thing in baseball).

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Is it just me, or is anyone else amused at how much consternation there is over the Twins so far doing nothing to address next year's pitching staff, and yet there's constant derision over almost every potential contract being thrown out as a possibility. Just to lump myself amongst the people I'm chiding, 3 years for a 35 year old pitcher seems like a bad idea to me, as well.
    It's much too early to angry with the front office for not fixing the rotation yet. It is only the first day of the winter meetings. So, I agree with you 100% on that point.

Also, not very excited by the idea of giving Dempster that much money. Maybe offer a one year deal, but he's looking for more than that. Any way about it, Dempster should not be the first pitcher they go after.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, the Tigers offered Anibal Sanchez a four-year, $48 million contract.

And it was quickly rejected by Sanchez and his agent, who called the proposal an "insult." Sanchez is thought to be seeking a six-year deal worth close to $90 million. The Red Sox, Blue Jays, Rangers and Dodgers are known to have interest, and the Tigers will presumably be back in the running if the asking price drops.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ryan Dempster is looking for a three-year deal, reports Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The Brewers are highly interested in working out an agreement with the veteran right-handed starter, but they don't want to go beyond two years. Dempster has also drawn interest from the Red Sox, Royals and Angels so far this offseason. He registered a solid 3.38 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 153/52 K/BB ratio across 173 innings this past summer between the Cubs and Rangers.
    Related: Brewers

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I am not high on Dempster. While he has always had good K and BB rates, he has always had high hit rates and that is in the NL where he faces a pitcher every 3 innings. His career WHIP is 1.433. He had a 5+ERA with the Rangers last year and I think that is where he will stay if with an AL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Your 5/62 would not even get you a phone call back. This guy is going to get 6 years I would bet money on it. This is the problem with signing top-tier free agents. It just doesn't work. You have to build through your farm system and trades. There is no way any of these guys are worth this amount of money. Dempster for 3 years...at age 35, no chance. Forget it. We need to keep looking for the bargains. We may suck next year, but I'd rather suck with a low payroll than suck a little less with a high payroll. Use that money to resign our guys when they turn into to studs: for example a guy like Meyer is a Boras client. Save that money and try to sign him early for long term (which is probably not going to happen because Boras is the worst thing in baseball).
    6 years is a long time that typically only "aces" get. Sanchez isn't an Ace, they are asking for 6/90 but I would be shocked if they got that much. 5 years/75 would get it done I imagine, possibly even 5/70

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6 years is a long time that typically only "aces" get. Sanchez isn't an Ace, they are asking for 6/90 but I would be shocked if they got that much. 5 years/75 would get it done I imagine, possibly even 5/70
    I think there's a chance he'll get six years. It seems that every year, there's a team willing to overpay a guy based on his previous postseason. Sanchez pitched really well for the Tigers and some GM will put too much stock in that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think there's a chance he'll get six years. It seems that every year, there's a team willing to overpay a guy based on his previous postseason. Sanchez pitched really well for the Tigers and some GM will put too much stock in that performance.
    3.75 ERA as a Tiger, also a sub 7 k/9 rate. He wasn't exactly Cy Young out there.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    3.75 ERA as a Tiger, also a sub 7 k/9 rate. He wasn't exactly Cy Young out there.
    Oh, I'm well aware of that. I wouldn't give him six years, only saying that there's a chance some GM out there will do it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast