Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Article: Five Other Twins Stories To Watch

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,298
    Like
    1
    Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Article: Five Other Twins Stories To Watch


  2. #2
    Member Single-A jlovren's Avatar
    Posts
    72
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Those are interesting storylines to watch. I think after round 5 of the draft the 2nd position is out the window. The Twins need to choose wisely with the top 5 and think what will get them closer to a world series faster than taking fliers on "toolsy" prospects.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    John,

    The answer to each question is NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    13
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Last year, the Twins sold more tickets then twenty six other Teams. Forbes Magazine will show that it was a record year for Twins revenue. If the Twins have lost faith in their fans after last year their crazy.
    Last edited by Highabove; 03-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,924
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Last year, the Twins sold more tickets then twenty six other Teams. Forbes Magazine will show that it was a record year for Twins revenue. If the Twins have lost faith in their fans after last year their crazy.
    2011 was a record year for Twins revenue... 2011 was a record payroll for the Twins as well. Most likely, the Twins revenues will drop significantly in 2012... their payroll drops too.

  6. #6
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    87
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Where did this crazy idea of the Front Office losing faith in the fans come from? It makes no sense. This is a one way street--ownership is responsible for putting a quality, or respectable team on the field. This is an ownership problem period! They could have signed quality free agents until the Sano group of players are ready!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    1 - Yes those "sunk costs" CAN stay healthy... doesn't mean they all will. I do think it's reasonable to assume they won't ALL be unhealthy like they were last year.

    2 - The existing minor league talent can fill some gaps, but probably not the bigger gaps. That said, every team needs solid role players and there's no reason some of these guys couldn't do that for close to MLB minimum pay.

    3 - If the Twins are going to upgrade their rotation in the next year or two, they'll need to do so via free agency. It would be very un-Twinslike for them to do that, but they'll have the money to do so if they want to. This is the area I have the most concern about, since I just don't expect Terry Ryan to be willing to do what needs to be done.

    4 - If the Twins don't use at least two of their premium picks, including their first, on a college pitcher that can be expected to zip up to the Bigs within 2 years, I'll consider the draft a wasted opportunity.

    5 - It's unlikely ticket revenues will continue rising, but there are other revenue sources that have the potential to rise eventually. Of course, revenues tend to go up and down in tandem with on-field success. Kind of a chicken/egg thing. Wins means continued high attendance, concessions, merchandise sales and better broadcast rights contracts.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,796
    Like
    26
    Liked 318 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    I think that the "where the pitchers will come from" will have to wait until next offseason to be answered. That's a 2013 question, not a 2012

  9. #9
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    170
    Like
    4
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    #3 will be answered next offseason. #4 will take at least 2 or 3 years to tell for sure. #5 depends on the quality of the product and, too a slightly lesser extent, the economy. #1 & #2, while unpredictable at this point will, I think, take care of themselves. Maybe 1 of the 4 will miss significant time this year and I feel the team is more prepared to deal with it if it should happen.

  10. #10
    So far the guys are looking good this spring but it's a long season so only time will tell. I feel the talent in the minor leagues is the strongest it's been for quite some time and will pan out rather well. My one big concern is pitching. They've struggled for some time now and I personally would like to see a big arm come in and take the reigns.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    John,

    The answer to each question is NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!
    Q: Where will the pitchers come from?

    A: NO

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Mrkwx,

    I meant they have no pitchers in Rochester to help if the rotation and bullpen struggle. I think there is a better chance of the world coming to an end than that not happening.

  13. #13
    If you look at this list of world series starting pitchers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rting_pitchers, virtually every team had an Ace that got them there. The Twins do not have an Ace and most likely can't go far in the playoffs without one.

    They have to find a #1 pitcher in the draft soon or go get one in free agency or trades. This is the one instance in which you have to give up a lot, either money or prospects, to get a true #1 pitcher.

    You just can't win in the MLB playoffs with a bunch of #3-5 talent level starters. Until they get an Ace it will be first round losses or no playoffs at all.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Y View Post
    If you look at this list of world series starting pitchers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rting_pitchers, virtually every team had an Ace that got them there. The Twins do not have an Ace and most likely can't go far in the playoffs without one.

    They have to find a #1 pitcher in the draft soon or go get one in free agency or trades. This is the one instance in which you have to give up a lot, either money or prospects, to get a true #1 pitcher.

    You just can't win in the MLB playoffs with a bunch of #3-5 talent level starters. Until they get an Ace it will be first round losses or no playoffs at all.
    Precisely. Look at the 1-3 starters for teams that will likely be in the playoffs and then look at who the Twins throw out there. The only shot the Twins have at winning a playoff game, which won't be a concern for at least 3 years, is the third one, which is too late.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Do some of you also consistently pick against your favorite team in the NCAA tourney in the first round just to be nay-sayers? Good lord.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    157
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    So far the guys are looking good this spring but it's a long season so only time will tell. I feel the talent in the minor leagues is the strongest it's been for quite some time and will pan out rather well. My one big concern is pitching. They've struggled for some time now and I personally would like to see a big arm come in and take the reigns.
    Are you on the Twins payroll??

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    Are you on the Twins payroll??
    Are you capable of an original thought or opinion?

    No?

    Then that explains why you have nothing more to offer to the discussion than to parrot the same old BS "are you on the Twins payroll?" cliche others trot out any time someone dares to make a comment that isn't critical of the Twins.

    Seriously... it's fine to have doubts and it's fair to debate the pros and cons of decisions made, but obviously some folks are incapable of anything even close to objectivity.

    I feel for those who find no enjoyment in their lives unless they're ripping someone else.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  18. #18
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    157
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Are you capable of an original thought or opinion?

    No?

    Then that explains why you have nothing more to offer to the discussion than to parrot the same old BS "are you on the Twins payroll?" cliche others trot out any time someone dares to make a comment that isn't critical of the Twins.

    Seriously... it's fine to have doubts and it's fair to debate the pros and cons of decisions made, but obviously some folks are incapable of anything even close to objectivity.

    I feel for those who find no enjoyment in their lives unless they're ripping someone else.
    Oh relax...

  19. #19

    Ignoring the obvious

    The answer to Question 3 will not be answered after the season; it should be answered during the season.

    I expect the Twins to sign probably two of their current starters who will be free agents to extensions. Trades are unlikely; everyone wants too much for the best pitchers. And the Twins did not go out and get a top-of-the line free agent starter this winter, and likely won't next winter.

    The minors and current non-roster players could fill at least two of the spots for next year; I'm thinking Hendrix and Doyle.

    The Twins typically develop ace pitchers and closers; they don't take someone else's, unless a Santana can be had and developed. I would look at Liriano and Baker being signed to two- or three-year contracts during the year. Otherwise, the Twins will continue to develop the horses they have in the pens.

  20. #20
    Why wouldn't the Twins go after Roy Oswalt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.