Thread: Article: In Terry I Trust

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: In Terry I Trust

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a good trade for the future but it does nothing to help the team compete in 2013. You must have missed the fan forum in late September when Ryan told season ticket holders the team was going to compete in 2013 and he wanted only Major League talent in return for any trade. Ryan also said he was going to use trades to improve the roster because the free agent market was very thin. He heads into the Winter Meetings not looking to trade anybody but to sign mediocre, cheap free agents. The dumpster diving method is not going to change things next year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Could help in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    This is a good trade for the future but it does nothing to help the team compete in 2013. You must have missed the fan forum in late September when Ryan told season ticket holders the team was going to compete in 2013 and he wanted only Major League talent in return for any trade. Ryan also said he was going to use trades to improve the roster because the free agent market was very thin. He heads into the Winter Meetings not looking to trade anybody but to sign mediocre, cheap free agents. The dumpster diving method is not going to change things next year.
    If they use the money that was committed to Span ( 20 million next 3 years if you include his option) to sign a quality free agent pitcher, then this move definitely could help them next year. I think the Twins next move will tell us if they are serious about next year or are starting to rebuild. Personally I hope they rebuild.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't trust in Terry at all. Why should anyone? Ryan stated in September to the season ticket holders one thing, and then did another. Trustworthy? Span has first round pedigree, too, and hey, so does Levi Michael. I'll be holding my breath on that one. On top of it all...... It was Rizzo that had coveted Span for a long time. Terry Ryan folded and got taken, and left cards on the table. It turns out that regardless of the contract, as reported today at MLB Trade Rumors, that Rizzo and the Nats wanted Span more than any of the center fielders available. Ryan made the weak play. There was a takeaway not played, and an additional player to be had that Ryan was not player enough to get. Washington DID get a proven player ready to help immediately and for several years, and the Twins got a hope.
    Last edited by h2oface; 12-04-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: corrected caps complying with a warning email

Let's hope that Morneau and Willingham are moved next. The team, which shouldn't pretend that it can compete in 2013, must turn its attention to 2014 and beyond.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    i don't trust in terry at all. why should anyone? ryan stated in september to the season ticket holders one thing, and then did another. trustworthy? span has first round pedigree, too, and hey, so does levi machael. i'll be holding my breath on that one. on top of it all...... it was rizzo that had coveted span for a long time. terry ryan folded and got taken, and left cards on the table. it turns out that regardless of the contract, as reported today at mlb trade rumors, that rizzo and the nats wanted span more than any of the centerfielders available. ryan made the weak play. there was a takeaway not played, and an additional player to be had that ryan was not player enough to get. washington DID get a proven player ready to help immediately and for several years, and the twins got a hope.
    Obviously you think he should be able to work miracles. Give TR some time and you will see once again why he is a winner and he has this organization on the right path.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick, you touched on a point that I mentioned a few days ago but seems to have fallen by the wayside:

I think Meyer was Ryan's target all along, dating back to last July. I think it was only after the Upton signing that Rizzo buckled to the pressure and gave up what Terry wanted for Span.

Patience is a virtue. From an outside observer, this looks to be a classic example of letting the market come to you instead of forcing the issue. And I don't think Ryan could have done much better with this move. Meyer is exactly what Twins fans have been clamoring for since Santana left.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I liked the trade even if it doesn't help next years team (unless Meyer explodes in AA ball but even then it would be unlikely).

I'm also pretty sure the Twins aren't done so it's a bit early to say that Ryan isn't doing anything about 2013. It is possible that we have a repeat of last years team but I'll give Ryan time to fix the rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Since this is pretty much what I asked for.....no issues with the trade. But I will not trust him on free agents until he actually signs one he is competing for, for real money. Still hopeful....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Who cares what he said in the conference call, Ryan still plans to compete in 2013 and if he signs 2-3 FA pitchers the Twins very well could compete. I'm sure he would have preferred major league ready talent in return for Span, but like he said, any guy with an Ace like upside is basically untouchable by the time they get to the higher levels in the minors. Ryan made the best trade possible, would you have been happier if they would have traded him for some #4 at the major league level or something?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    i don't trust in terry at all. why should anyone? ryan stated in september to the season ticket holders one thing, and then did another. trustworthy? span has first round pedigree, too, and hey, so does levi machael. i'll be holding my breath on that one. on top of it all...... it was rizzo that had coveted span for a long time. terry ryan folded and got taken, and left cards on the table. it turns out that regardless of the contract, as reported today at mlb trade rumors, that rizzo and the nats wanted span more than any of the centerfielders available. ryan made the weak play. there was a takeaway not played, and an additional player to be had that ryan was not player enough to get. washington DID get a proven player ready to help immediately and for several years, and the twins got a hope.
    I think you need to throw some more water on your face. What cards were left on the table? Who was this additional player you speak of? What exactly are you talking about?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Nick, you touched on a point that I mentioned a few days ago but seems to have fallen by the wayside:

I think Meyer was Ryan's target all along, dating back to last July. I think it was only after the Upton signing that Rizzo buckled to the pressure and gave up what Terry wanted for Span.

Patience is a virtue. From an outside observer, this looks to be a classic example of letting the market come to you instead of forcing the issue. And I don't think Ryan could have done much better with this move. Meyer is exactly what Twins fans have been clamoring for since Santana left.
    Brock, it sounds like you're praising TR because of the speculation that he waited out the Nationals in order to get Meyer. We don't know what was on the table, if anything, in July. As Nick mentioned, technically Meyer couldn't be traded back then, except as a PTBNL, and I don't think TR would have traded Span for a PTBNL.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Since this is pretty much what I asked for.....no issues with the trade. But I will not trust him on free agents until he actually signs one he is competing for, for real money. Still hopeful....
    Willingham doesn't count?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post

Brock, it sounds like you're praising TR because of the speculation that he waited out the Nationals in order to get Meyer. We don't know what was on the table, if anything, in July. As Nick mentioned, technically Meyer couldn't be traded back then, except as a PTBNL, and I don't think TR would have traded Span for a PTBNL.
    It's speculation but the timing is hard to deny. The Braves get better by signing the best FA center fielder and two days later, the Nats and Twins finally come to an agreement. The Twins weren't pressured to make the deal; they still had other options to deal Span. It was Rizzo feeling the heat and he's probably the one who caved.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Not for me. He was not outbidding anyone for Josh, and was a payroll cut. I want to see him replace a guy with guys a lot more expensive before I believe he will spend what it takes to win. Willingham was a great sign, but it was a budget cut that they then, shockingly pocketed....when he goes out and beats another team for a free agent, then I will believe he is trying to make the team better, not just cheaper. Ymmv.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts

It's speculation but the timing is hard to deny. The Braves get better by signing the best FA center fielder and two days later, the Nats and Twins finally come to an agreement. The Twins weren't pressured to make the deal; they still had other options to deal Span. It was Rizzo feeling the heat and he's probably the one who caved.
    You're giving TR way too much credit. The Braves signing Upton hurt the Nationals' options for obtaining a CF, certainly, but it also took the Braves out of the mix as a potential trade partner for the Twins, so it also hurt the Twins' leverage on any potential Span trade.

Blog Entries
    You're giving TR way too much credit. The Braves signing Upton hurt the Nationals' options for obtaining a CF, certainly, but it also took the Braves out of the mix as a potential trade partner for the Twins, so it also hurt the Twins' leverage on any potential Span trade.
    I disagree. The Reds may have still been in the mix along with other teams that need OF help. I think it's a little too convenient that Upton goes to the Braves (the Nats biggest rival) and then Rizzo suddenly pulls the trigger on Span. Ryan had no reason to feel the same pressure that Rizzo was undoubtedly feeling.

Either way, the trade was not a steal for either side. It was fair value for both teams, IMO. This isn't a Pierzynski Redux.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    The Span/Meyer trade details are simply speculation. Why re-hash it? And it doesn't matter really.

There is a range of expectations associated with what "fixing" the 2013 team means. I'd much rather hear your opinions about what you think Ryan's expectations are for 2013, and what your own expectations are. What would satisfy you for 2013? A .500 club? More?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lots of interesting speculation on this. I doubt if we ever know if one side "caved" on this trade or not. It is hardly in anyone's interest to reveal that. What is true, is that it will be years before this trade can be fairly evalulated. There is a pretty chance Span will continue to be largely what he has been. Meyer could turn into an ace, a good starting pitcher, a closer, a decent reliever or never reach the majors at all.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Not for me. He was not outbidding anyone for Josh, and was a payroll cut. I want to see him replace a guy with guys a lot more expensive before I believe he will spend what it takes to win. Willingham was a great sign, but it was a budget cut that they then, shockingly pocketed....when he goes out and beats another team for a free agent, then I will believe he is trying to make the team better, not just cheaper. Ymmv.
    So if we had given Willingham something like 18M a year you would have been happier? Sounds like all you want is upgrades to the payroll and not worried about the return. Getting cheaper and better, like the Twins did by signing Willingham, is the ultimate win-win for a team.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast