Thread: Article: Gleeman & The Geek Episode 70: Denard Span for Alex Meyer

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gleeman and the Geek Episode 70: Denard Span for Alex Meyer

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How have you guys not murdered each other yet?

Lions Tap Pub? Damn, a half mile from my house!

Gleeman really needs to take a nap before these podcasts. Kinda Grouchy and Condescending.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rick,
    Is this the first of the 70 episodes you've listened to? Ha!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Thanks for the soap opera men. John...STOP BREATHING INTO THE MIC.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    No clue what John was talking about with the A/B/C prospects... I'll say this, in my opinion:

A - Sano, Buxton, Arcia, Meyer
    B - Hicks, Gibson, Rosario, Berrios

That said... Sickels will likely have just 1 A because his grading system involves how far they are, risk, things like that.

I totally disagree with John's take on how the BJ Upton signing influenced this deal. I think he has it backwards. Once the Nationals had lost out on Upton, and the FA centerfield market was set higher than they wanted to get into (especially since they are planning to sign a starting pitcher) they decided to pull the trigger on a deal giving up their best pitching prospect - which they would have rather not done.

Do you think they would have given up AJ Cole for Span in the summer of 2011? No way, and the 6'9 fireballer is no small pill for them to swallow now.

One of Terry Ryan's skills as a GM is that he is stubborn, he is not afraid to NOT make a deal if he has any leverage at all. The Twins have been turning down offers of lesser players for Span for almost two years now and it has paid off. The Reds really wanted Span in July, but Ryan was insistent on getting Cingrani from them and would not budge from it. So a deal didn't happen, he waited, and now he got the kind of return he was looking for after the CF market was set with the Upton signing. It was the Nationals who got more urgent, not TR.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No clue what John was talking about with the A/B/C prospects... I'll say this, in my opinion:

That said... Sickels will likely have just 1 A because his grading system involves how far they are, risk, things like that.
    To me, Sano and Buxton are A. Hick and Arcia are B. That's why, to me, Meyer is borderline B. It's also why I kept trying to understand objectively what is generally considered an A vs. B vs C prospect in terms of overall rankings. If, generally, the top 100 guys are considered B prospects, then given the rankings, Meyer is a B.

I am a little amazed that everyone seems to want to sight his numbers in Low A (or his overall numbers, which are weighted more far more heavily by his Low-A numbers) rather than cast a skeptical eye over his High A numbers.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

Sickles has Sano at A- and Buxton, Arcia, and Meyer at B+...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    It's a tough question because there are no A,B,C ratings for prospects other than Sickels, so it's really hard to judge. I've never 'graded' prospects by letter, just be ranking. I was just hoping that you'd ask Aaron for where Meyer ranked among Twins prospects.

I 100% agree that the further from the big leagues, the less that stats matter... with Meyer, it's all about the projection.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I may take a stab at what John wants (realizing he had ample opportunity on the podcast and he is here commenting too), he wants some kind of criteria to say what makes a prospect an A versus B or B versus C. Something like this:

A - Sure thing with All-star potential
    B - Likely long term regular
    C - Likely role player
    D - Likely hanger-on for a few years
    F - Possible cup of coffee

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I say this with love: you should change the name of this podcast to "Gettin' wrapped up in semantics, with John and Aaron!" That being said, I was happy to hear John fight back and try clarify his position.

Of course, this is just a D level comment, so what do I know?
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 12-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I say this with love: you should change the name of this podcast to "Gettin' wrapped up in semantics, with John and Aaron!" That being said, I was happy to hear John fight back and try clarify his position.

I normally agree with Aaron's take, but that part of the podcast was downright arrogant and insulting to anyone who participates in TD. He actually came across to me (tone) in the same way reporters come across to him when they criticize bloggers.. Of course, he then used those "D" comments as part of his evidence for why John's take on Meyer was wrong (something about TD reaction when John posted that Meyer was a C prospect). Honestly I love the podcast in general and was looking forward to this one, but it may have been one of the toughest to listen to and still haven't finished it.
    Last edited by Alex; 12-02-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries

Ha!!! B- comment at worst!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

I normally agree with Aaron's take, but that part of the podcast was downright arrogant and insulting to anyone who participates in TD. He actually came across to me (tone) in the same way reporters come across to him when they criticize bloggers.. Of course, he then used those "D" comments as part of his evidence for why John's take on Meyer was wrong (something about TD reaction when John posted that Meyer was a C prospect). Honestly I love the podcast in general and was looking forward to this one, but it may have been one of the toughest to listen to and still haven't finished it.
    Agreed. I was looking forward to hearing more about meyer and instead got an instruction on how not to argue. John didnt stoop so low but i would have popped a guy if he talked like that about me in front of my face...very disrespectful.

There is a way to rip someone without being an a$$ho1e.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    For those who have listened to a bunch of the podcasts, I don't think it's uncommon for Aaron and I to need to become pretty frustrated with each other before we recognize a deeper paradigm that we haven't really uncovered. After the podcast we shared a pitcher, ordered a few burgers with the rest of the TwinsCentric guys, share a couple of more pitchers and talked through all kinds of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    For those who have listened to a bunch of the podcasts, I don't think it's uncommon for Aaron and I to need to become pretty frustrated with each other before we recognize a deeper paradigm that we haven't really uncovered. After the podcast we shared a pitcher, ordered a few burgers with the rest of the TwinsCentric guys, share a couple of more pitchers and talked through all kinds of stuff.
    Kisses?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Totally understandable and I've enjoyed several of those hard nosed discussions. It might be worth noting, though, that a host should be aware that his audience might include listeners from Twins Daily before taking a negative approach to the comments here as a whole. Again, I say this while very much looking forward to the next podcast.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    After 60+ episodes i have come to expect and accept a high level of arguement in the podcast. Thats part of the package. What I want to know is what is up with the baby crying in the background? The lack of bar-type noises was different. And, it was like you guys were whispering. I still enjoyed the analysis and the drama. It was just a bit different.

How about getting Gleeman to come back to his old hood for a podcast? The Nook and The Groveland Tap are calling your names. AG could visit his mom after you are done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast