Thread: BJ Hermsen?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

BJ Hermsen?

I know I'm biased because BJ is a fellow Iowan, but I still have hopes for him to be a member of the rotation sooner rather than later. I know his velocity has never reached the projections that were set for him based on his big frame. His strikeout numbers have fallen short of ideal as well. But he seems to pitch smart and since he will only be 23 when he begins the 2013 season in the AAA rotation, I'm gonna keep my thoughts positive on him.

Assuming Gibby and/or Hendricks start the season in the big-league rotation, any idea what the rest of the Rochester rotation shapes up like?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have hopes that he can essentially be the RH Scott Diamond, but I am worried about that lack of velocity and bad K numbers. I don't really trust him as a legitimate rotation piece in the future, but 2013 in Rochester will be telling.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    I know I'm biased because BJ is a fellow Iowan, but I still have hopes for him to be a member of the rotation sooner rather than later. I know his velocity has never reached the projections that were set for him based on his big frame. His strikeout numbers have fallen short of ideal as well. But he seems to pitch smart and since he will only be 23 when he begins the 2013 season in the AAA rotation, I'm gonna keep my thoughts positive on him.

Assuming Gibby and/or Hendricks start the season in the big-league rotation, any idea what the rest of the Rochester rotation shapes up like?
    There is a strong liklihood that Hermsen begins his season back at New Britain. Right now Rochester's potential starting rotation includes Nick Blackburn, Sam Deduno, Shairon Martis, Esmerling Vasquez and P.J. Walters. Four of those five pitched for the Twins last year and all five are on the Rochester roster and off the 40-man roster. Add Pedro Hernandez to that group and at least one of three others on the 40-man roster, DeVries, Gibson or Hendriks, and you have seven or eight potential starters without including anyone from New Britain.

Granted, Hermsen, Darnell or another New Britain starter could have a phenominal spring training and force themselves onto the AAA staff. But with all those starters penciled into the Rochester rotation makes it unlikely. And those names don't include any other AAAA starters the Twins may sign this winter as they attempt to fill out their rotation.

With that said, I do see Hermsen and Darnell both being called up to Rochester when they do need additional starters later in the season.
    Last edited by roger; 12-02-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BJ Hermsen is who is he is, he won't light up the radar gun, won't impress a bunch of scouts, but he knows how to pitch. The problem with that though is its hard to be successful without the best stuff. My guess is he becomes a long relief guy in the majors but I still think he has a future in the organization.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Hermsen is a future Swarzak. Mop up guy and occasional fill-in starter for a double-header.

Wow. Pitchers have stacked up for the starting five at both Rochester, and it seems, New Britain. Here is where the Twins have to make some decisions...better to block the future with hasbeens and washedups, or look to the future. I really don't see Waters, Blackburn being around for 2014. I wonder if Vasquez, Matais have any hopes of making it to the Twins. Hernandez is someone you want to looksee. DeVries and Deduno would be my stop-gap backups with DeVries in training to replace Swarzak until he is replaced by Hermsen. Heaven forbid they sign even more AAAA guys...I would rather see Jeff Francis or any of the non-tenders in the wings in Rochester. If Balckburn doesn't blow everyone away in spring training, send him on his way and eat the salary.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Vasquez is done as a starter in AAA.....Martis wont start in ROC either, maybe NBrit or relief in AAA. Gibson will also start in AAA with the previous 2 joining in to eat innings for him.
    DeVries/Hernandez will start in ROC w/Hermsen starting in AAA.
    This is all assuming also (like I believe) that Liam Hendriks has the #5spot in the rotation to lose.
    BJ kinda go the short end of the stick IMO, but will see significant AAA time this yr & will make his MLB debut sometime this yr (barring injury)