Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball America on Alex Meyer and Span Trade

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Would you be surprised at all if he didn't start in AA this year?
    Not at all. The Twins haven't had a chance to coach this guy at all. They may want to see what they have in him instead of throwing him into the upper minors right off the bat.

I won't mind if they start him in Ft. Myers. I will only mind if they keep him there for half a season or more while he's dominating hitters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    I imagine they'll have him start in Ft Myers just b/c of the weather and move him to AA in May.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    I don't care where he starts the season, my main concern is they get his mechanics under control. I won't worry if he struggles a bit during that time either, you gotta get that fixed though if you want him to be a front of the line starter.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    "Meyer said in a September interview that he throws mostly two-seam fastballs now and still gets that mid-90s velocity, putting him in Kevin Brown territory for a power sinker. His fastball touched 99 in the Futures Game."
    The good news: Kevin Brown's power sinker was fierce.

The bad news: Kevin Brown got that power sinker by using his upper body and back, which caused him to break down in quite an ugly fashion.

Hopefully Meyer can use his height and the leverage that comes with it to get that kind of power from his legs instead of his torso.

true, but if memory serves me right, Kevin Brown was quite effective for his first team... not so much after...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I don't care where he starts the season, my main concern is they get his mechanics under control. I won't worry if he struggles a bit during that time either, you gotta get that fixed though if you want him to be a front of the line starter.
    From the looks of it, he has made quite a bit of progress in that area. The walk rate has dropped pretty consistently from college even into the pros. I think starting him in A+ isn't a bad idea, in part because it's a pitcher's league anyways, and in part because he only got 7 starts in A+ last season. I expect him to get 7-10 starts this year and then a promotion to AA.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    New Britain is a pitchers' park too, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had him start in Ft. Myers with a quick promotion in mind.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    "Meyer said in a September interview that he throws mostly two-seam fastballs now and still gets that mid-90s velocity, putting him in Kevin Brown territory for a power sinker. His fastball touched 99 in the Futures Game."
    The good news: Kevin Brown's power sinker was fierce.

The bad news: Kevin Brown got that power sinker by using his upper body and back, which caused him to break down in quite an ugly fashion.

Hopefully Meyer can use his height and the leverage that comes with it to get that kind of power from his legs instead of his torso.
    true, but if memory serves me right, Kevin Brown was quite effective for his first team... not so much after...
    Oddly enough, he was most effective through his second and third teams and from age 30-34. I thought he was younger than that when he played for Florida and the Padres.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope they start him in New Britian to see what they have. They can always send him back if they need to. Top level prospects need to move forward and be challenged. I do not see what 7 -10 starts in Fort Myers would gain him. He already had 7 starts in High - A and dominated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I hope they start him in New Britian to see what they have. They can always send him back if they need to. Top level prospects need to move forward and be challenged. I do not see what 7 -10 starts in Fort Myers would gain him. He already had 7 starts in High - A and dominated.
    not as much as you'd like... the K rate dropped pretty significantly, and while that could just be SSS, it doesn't hurt to let him get some time in there. He'll be in AA this year no doubt, the question is whether he starts there or gets promoted... The Twins aren't shy to move a guy if needed. Garza went from A+ to AAA in one year. Meyer can do it too if he's good.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    not as much as you'd like... the K rate dropped pretty significantly, and while that could just be SSS, it doesn't hurt to let him get some time in there. He'll be in AA this year no doubt, the question is whether he starts there or gets promoted... The Twins aren't shy to move a guy if needed. Garza went from A+ to AAA in one year. Meyer can do it too if he's good.
    Or he can skip AAA altogether, if he's good. AAA houses depth more than it ever does prospects; so we should discount the weight of AAA in terms of progression, I think. Let him start in Ft. Myers and pitch in New Britain most of the year. That still puts him on track for possible significant ML time in 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12