Thread: Article: Meet Alex Meyer

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Meet Alex Meyer

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I rolled my eyes a little at the tiresome Hoey mention and then you properly debunked that BS argument that some have made.

Great article all around.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like his arm slot and movement. The arm slot will make him particularly tough on righties, a la Justin Masterson. His movement will make him tough on lefties. I also think his arm slot makes him less injury prone. Tall guys who come over the top put a lot of undue stress on the elbow and shoulder.

If he can develop his change and smooth out his mechanics next year (likely between AA and AAA), we can pencil him into the 2014 rotation. Now if they just use Span's dollars to help the 2013 rotation, perhaps with a different Myers...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Nice write up. I remember when he was drafted, he slipped a little bit b/c he was a Boras client. I think his upside was as good as possible for Span. NIce get, now we just hope he develops into an all star.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His movement will make him tough on lefties. I also think his arm slot makes him less injury prone. Tall guys who come over the top put a lot of undue stress on the elbow and shoulder.
    '

Very true. In fact:

vs LHB 205 BF, .187 BA, 37.8% K%
    vs RHB 294 BF, .220 BA, 23.5% K%

Great write-up, thanks! Especially enjoyed the GIFs of that fastball that breaks in on the hands of right handers. The Span deal reminds me a lot of the Garza/Delmon deal in that we were acquiring a young player with a good pedigree on the assumption that it made sense to trade a "surplus" item for something we couldn't produce on our own. In 2008, ironically, it was thought that the Twins had "too many" starting pitching prospects, yet couldn't produce power hitting outfielders. Now, almost exactly the opposite is true.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. Very excited about what he can become.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    What is a no-seam fastball? Serious question. Is this just a typo and supposed to be two-seam? That's my guess.

The Twins organization’s coaches and instructors -- likely those in New Britain -- will be tasked with refining his mechanics and instilling some consistency in them as well as finalizing his change-up in order to maximize his potential as a starter.
    Isn't he more likely to start the season at Fort Myers? He spent most of last year in low A.

His drop and rock motion by itself reminds me of Verlander's delivery.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    What is a no-seam fastball? Serious question. Is this just a typo and supposed to be two-seam? That's my guess.
    It's explained in the article. A two-seamer where he moves his fingers closer together and off the seams.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
    His drop and rock motion by itself reminds me of Verlander's delivery.
    I had a similar reaction, though I used "free and easy" as I was watching the bullpen video. Of course I don't know if that's his best fastball or if he's still taking it easy a bit - but the tailing movement indicates this isn't his first warmup throw of the session.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    it made sense to trade a "surplus" item for something we couldn't produce on our own.
    I hated the trade, not because we shouldn't trade from surplus but because we picked the wrong guy to trade away. Him and Baker I'd have made untouchable, at the time, and I would have offered a GM his pick of any of the rest. But maybe GMs also assessed Garza as the best of the Twins starters and our GM wanted to get the greatest return possible. Oh well. Kind of similar to asking "why not trade Revere instead of Span, I like Span better" - yeah, and other GMs probably do too.

Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    In 2008, ironically, it was thought that the Twins had "too many" starting pitching prospects, yet couldn't produce power hitting outfielders. Now, almost exactly the opposite is true.
    Generals always are "fighting the last war", aren't they.

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    GREAT article. There is a lot to be excited about with this guy. Do you think his release point is easier on his arm than an over-the-top delivery?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Randy Johnsonmechanics warm-up video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaKWvLFKjc

Parker, if it is of particular interest to you, I'd be interested in your assessments in contrasting and comparing Meyer and Johnson. It appeared over the entire Meyer video that his release point jumped quite a bit, but both hurlers employed 3/4 style deliveries. If there is video out there of a young Randy Johnson that might be enlightening, as well. How many significant arm difficulties did Johnson have over his career and when did they start?

I looked up Johnson's AA stats at age 23:

ERA 3.73/IP 140/WHIP 1.10/K^9 10.5/BB^9 8.2!!!!

vs Meyer A/A+ stats at age 22:

ERA 2.86/IP 129/WHIP 1.10/K^9 9.7/BB^9 3.1!!!!

These stats are small, but possibly significant evidence that 2 similarly-sized flamethrowers have some correlation at this point in their minor league tenures, with the glaring exception that Meyer has already figured out the control issues to a greater degree.

Give us more to rally around if you can, Parker!
    Last edited by jokin; 12-01-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like that he crooks his elbow when he takes his throwing arm back. It removes the whip set of his wrist. The resulting lack of rhythm could make his timing inconsistent. He also seems too stiff as he rolls his forearm through the pronation point. On the other hand, his final acceleration is well out front, so he's not stressing his shoulder. If he's going to throw high sidearm, he might as well get more whip out of his torso.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Randy Johnsonmechanics warm-up video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaKWvLFKjc

Parker, if it is of particular interest to you, I'd be interested in your assessments in contrasting and comparing Meyer and Johnson. It appeared over the entire Meyer video that his release point jumped quite a bit, but both hurlers employed 3/4 style deliveries. If there is video out there of a young Randy Johnson that might be enlightening, as well. How many significant arm difficulties did Johnson have over his career and when did they start?

I looked up Johnson's AA stats at age 23:

ERA 3.73/IP 140/WHIP 1.10/K^9 10.5/BB^9 8.2!!!!

vs Meyer A/A+ stats at age 22:

ERA 2.86/IP 129/WHIP 1.10/K^9 9.7/BB^9 3.1!!!!

These stats are small, but possibly significant evidence that 2 similarly-sized flamethrowers have some correlation at this point in their minor league tenures, with the glaring exception that Meyer has already figured out the control issues to a greater degree.

Give us more to rally around if you can, Parker!
    A better comparison is Meyer's 2012 results vs. Johnson's first full year out of USC at the age of 22 (1986). Johnson spent that year in the Florida State League after pitching 27.1 innings in the NYPL after being drafted and signing a year earlier. In 1986, Johnson posted a 3.16 ERA in 119.2 innings. He had 133 strikeouts and a whopping 94 walks. The only significant difference I see is that Meyer walks a lot less batters.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AS LONG AS THE CONTROL GODS keep Meyer on the same Improved path he's on and shown in 2012. Meyer will be somewhat a Max Schzerzer or Josh Johnson type of arm for us.

I like him as a prospect a lot. Stay Healthy Alex!