Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Is Revere Still Available?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Revere Still Available?

Now that Denard Span is gone (the Twins FINALLY DID SOMETHING!!), do you expect them to still be listening to offers on Ben Revere? Better worded- Since his asking price is probably higher, is it too high now that no one will give up too much?

And Part Two: Does this mean anything for other notable trade pieces like Justin Morneau and Josh Willingham?

1) Revere is absolutely still available. If a team is going to give the Twins pitching or middle infield help that is fair value for Revere the Twins will listen, and probably pull the trigger. I don't think there's much of a market for Revere though... he needs another year like last year to gain respect of GM's around the league.

2) I think it shows that the Twins are serious about making moves. I don't think Willingham is available, he's not untouchable, but someone would have to blow the Twins away. The Twins don't sign free agents, they finally do and it works... do you really think they're trading away their one success story? especially one with a great contract? Morneau is another guy with a limited market. His health is still a question mark and he's being paid a lot for teams to take him on as a rental. I think Morneau gets moved at the deadline if the Twins are out of it and he's healthy... but the return won't be much unless he's mashing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    1) Revere is absolutely still available. If a team is going to give the Twins pitching or middle infield help that is fair value for Revere the Twins will listen, and probably pull the trigger. I don't think there's much of a market for Revere though... he needs another year like last year to gain respect of GM's around the league.

2) I think it shows that the Twins are serious about making moves. I don't think Willingham is available, he's not untouchable, but someone would have to blow the Twins away. The Twins don't sign free agents, they finally do and it works... do you really think they're trading away their one success story? especially one with a great contract? Morneau is another guy with a limited market. His health is still a question mark and he's being paid a lot for teams to take him on as a rental. I think Morneau gets moved at the deadline if the Twins are out of it and he's healthy... but the return won't be much unless he's mashing.
    All agreeable points.

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd have to imagine that almost anyone is still available for the right trade.

When it comes to Revere... I'm the opposite of the Greatest Poster Alive. I'm a big fan of his style of play and think he has tremendous value. However, I would still trade him if the team improved pitching in the process.

As for his Value. I don't know what that value is but his speed and outfield defense is near major league best. Top of the Class in anything has value. If you got one of the fastest guys period... Keep him... and if you move him... Get something good for him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think everyone is available, but not Joe Mauer and Scott Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'd have to imagine that almost anyone is still available for the right trade.

When it comes to Revere... I'm the opposite of the Greatest Poster Alive. I'm a big fan of his style of play and think he has tremendous value. However, I would still trade him if the team improved pitching in the process.

As for his Value. I don't know what that value is but his speed and outfield defense is near major league best. Top of the Class in anything has value. If you got one of the fastest guys period... Keep him... and if you move him... Get something good for him.
    I don't think his stats give anyone reason to think he'll keep this up. It's still possible... but he has a very high BAbip along with a low walk rate... It screams unsustainable. Perhaps Revere's ability to make contact combined with his speed allow him to keep this up... but when it comes down to it I still fear Revere is one hamstring injury from being unable to help this team in any way.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean, IF the Twins are out of it????? they have not been in it for 2 YEARS and counting

Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    What do you mean, IF the Twins are out of it????? they have not been in it for 2 YEARS and counting
    It's always an if... stranger things have happened my friend.

(also, pro tip to a new member... using the "reply with quote" button that is located at the bottom right of a post can help people know who you're talking to)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    Then I guess the Orioles and Athletics were out of it last year.

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Arcia and Hicks pan out... The Situation is going to get crowded real quick and that's Ok. Tis the nature of the business. I'll always be a Revere Fan and he can play for my team any day but if Arcia and Hicks out play him. He can play on my team in a different role and it's ok.

I think he will slump and get hot like everyone else but I do believe that he will keep it up..

I believe BABIP isn't so much of a luck stat... There is always luck in baseball but I think BABIP is more influenced by the type of contact you are making. When you are swinging well... You sqaure on the ball better and you find more holes. In Ben's case... His speed in theory(Snepp... I said in theory)... should be an uptick in BABIP cuz he can just out run some stuff that other's can't.

I won't say that Ben will be a power hitter but I'm pretty certain that he was drafted in the 1st round because he has or had some pop. It doesn't matter how fast you are. No scout or regional scout or MLB front office is going to say... Yeah let's take this guy with no power and no arm in the first round because he's really fast. He was showing something else in high school. I think there has to be very little doubt about that.

Ben had more homers (9) in High School than Buxton(3). Parmelee hit 11. Don't misunderstand me... High School is different and now he has wood in his hands. I'm not saying that Ben will become Kirby Puckett but there is no way that I'm going to bet against him eventually clearing the wall in the future or at the least finding some more gaps. Some Power will come.

As for the Hamstring... Yeah... If Ben loses his Speed. He loses the majority of his value. Just like.. I lose my value when my keyboard breaks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    The Twins overvalue Revere so the likelihood of him being traded is low. The guy has yet to hit a HR in the majors, a "saturday night special" for an arm, and is difficult to walk. I really can't see anyone offering much for that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think Revere is more valuable than anything we could possibly get in a trade for him. Eventually if he gets pushed out of the starting line up by our prospects coming up then he becomes a solid 4th OF. So I think we should keep him.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    The Twins overvalue Revere so the likelihood of him being traded is low. The guy has yet to hit a HR in the majors, a "saturday night special" for an arm, and is difficult to walk. I really can't see anyone offering much for that.
    I think there is a little too much emphasis on him not hitting a HR yet. He's not a power hitter and was never going to be. Everyone knows this. Other teams know this which is why pitchers throw strikes to him. You're not going to get burnt that bad by him (as in give up a HR). It makes sense that he wouldn't walk as much if he's not seeing balls. I think the walk rate will go up this year. I think teams are going to start to realize that they have to pitch him a little more carefully because he makes some solid contact (or in theory can run out many hits). Just my theory for now.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Why would they change their approach to him. hitting wise, the pitchers are winning the battle against him.