Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Ugh... One more year of Liriano?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Ugh... One more year of Liriano?

ESPN's Buster Olney is saying the Twins have been talking about a one-year offer with Francisco Liriano's agents.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/274167684017565696

Talk about taking a step backward! I can't believe the Twins would want to put up with him for another year. He makes my blood pressure boil. I can't imagine what he does to Gardy and Anderson.

UPDATE [ADMIN]: Darren Wolfson spoke with a Twins official who said this in reply to the news:

"Don't overreact. We are/have talked to ALL available pitchers. Period."
    Last edited by Parker Hageman; 11-29-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Clarification: Olney reported Twins "talking" 1-yr deal, not offered.

That tweet doesn't necessarily make it sound like the deal has been offered. Either way, it just doesn't seem good for either side.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 817 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That the Twins are actively courting there own re-treads certainly tells you how little interest even run-of-the-mill non-Twins FA SPs have in even considering the Twins as a legit landing place.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That the Twins are actively courting there own re-treads certainly tells you how little interest even run-of-the-mill non-Twins FA SPs have in even considering the Twins as a legit landing place.
    I'm not sure it's true in this case, but I think it says more about how rumors are generated than anything else....

1) Ever notice that there are always more rumors about players that have been on a team than new players to a team? I think that's because the local media KNOWS these players. They can say "Hi" to them. And the easiest question to ask is "So, have you talked to the Twins?" We hera about Liriano and Pavano because a Twins beat writer is unlikely to stop and ask (random free agent starter) about the Twins, but he'll stop and talk to Frankie and Carl.

Anyway, I almost always take these rumors about returning players with a large grain of salt.

2) In this particular case, I'll speculate that Frankie's agent would be more than anxious to publicly hint at any kind of interest the Twins had with Frankie. He's trying to rebuild some value for a guy that has all kinds of questions about his stability. What better way to do that than to point out that the organization that knows him best is open to him returning?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    Ryan probably realized that Feldmen and Liriano had similar numbers last year and thought he might as well offer a small low-risk deal now to see if Liriano will come back into his Minnesota comfort zone before another GM catches whatever ailment the Cubs front office is suffering from and offers Frankie a similar $6 million.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Three Liriano threads now....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    It'll probably be up to six threads if they actually sign him.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Do people understand how a message board works? Just because you have an opinion of Liriano doesn't mean you need to start your own thread when there are at least 2 others discussing it (with Liriano in the headline non the less!)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,198 Times in 639 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Do people understand how a message board works? Just because you have an opinion of Liriano doesn't mean you need to start your own thread when there are at least 2 others discussing it (with Liriano in the headline non the less!)
    Careful, I got pulverized for mentioning the very same thing last week, after the 36th thread on Twins payroll.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Hey, as long as they produce two pitchers better than Diamond, via FA and trade, who cares how many guy like Liriano they bring on board to fight for the fifth spot in the rotation?

And, while it's logical to assume most of the better FA pitchers will view other teams as more attractive, it's certainly not logical to conclude that the Twins won't appeal to some of these guys if the money's right. Outside of a hyandful of commenters at TD, this organization has a solid reputation asa player-friendly environment.

...waiting for someone to bring up Knoblauch or some other one-off example to prove how terrible the Twins are as an organization....

Yes, no need for multiple threads...unless giving us something new. Maybe this one did.

Liriano needs somewhere that he can prove himself viable. Is it at the backend of a rotation in Boston, or a leader on the field on Houston or Minnesota. The main given is that he is dreaming (as is his agent) for a multi-year deal. A one-year deal means he HAS to perform or never ever pitch again -- indy ball watch out!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im so sick of hearing about Liriano, and i say again....i dont want to hear his dam name unless he is imploding for some other team (which he will be).

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    So frankie wouldnt be a good addition as a 1 inning reliever,or as 4-5th starter?
    I would rather have a chance to win with frankie , then knowing we are going to lose with a correia or marquis.
    If liriano is brought back , we need to bring in a spanish speaking catcher,and finally rid the twins of drew butera

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    They won't be getting Jason Marquis!!!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some people probably understand that they'll get no response to a reply in a thread already exceeding 20 messages, while they may get 3 or 4 if they start a thread themselves. We may wish human nature were different...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...6699#post66699

Make that 3! You're Welcome spiritofvodkadave...or should I say message board bully!

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Some people probably understand that they'll get no response to a reply in a thread already exceeding 20 messages, while they may get 3 or 4 if they start a thread themselves. We may wish human nature were different...
    Yes! I would say that the number of Liriano threads in this message board warrants a discussion on ontology for sure.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...6699#post66699

Make that 3! You're Welcome spiritofvodkadave...or should I say message board bully!
    Administrator deleted my thread. Guess what it was about, here's a hint: Anciscofay Irianolay

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    Yes! I would say that the number of Liriano threads in this message board warrants a discussion on ontology for sure.
    That reminds me, I think Ben Revere's arm is kind of weak for CF, does anyone agree or disagree?