Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Hendriks sewn up as 5th starter?

Is Hendriks sewn up as 5th starter?

All reports have Diamond as the only starter but I believe Liam has a slot to lose if he's not dealt in a package.
    Reasoning includes the AAA pitchers as of now: Deduno, Walters, Blackburn, DeVries & Pedro Hernandez. The list also counts Kyle Gibson, who'll start in bullpen, Shairon Martis & BJ Hermsen, who'll both start in AA. Thats 8 guys. Mn wont send Hendriks back to a level he dominated.
    I also think if they keep Liam, he will take the big Scot Diamond type jump.
    Agree or not?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Knock on wood.

Ryan has said he wants to get three new starters, though that may have been more of a dream than a goal. That being said, Diamond has one spot, and you'd think Hendriks is the front runner over the rest of the mess seeing as he is the only one outside of the rehabbing* Gibson who has any kind of upside.

*Also known as Super 2 insurance.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have faith in Hendriks to be a solid major league starter. He got his feet wet last year. I think he will adjust and do find this year. My prediction if he does make the rotation 11-8 with a 4.05 ERA.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    All reports have Diamond as the only starter but I believe Liam has a slot to lose if he's not dealt in a package.
    Reasoning includes the AAA pitchers as of now: Deduno, Walters, Blackburn, DeVries & Pedro Hernandez. The list also counts Kyle Gibson, who'll start in bullpen, Shairon Martis & BJ Hermsen, who'll both start in AA. Thats 8 guys. Mn wont send Hendriks back to a level he dominated.
    I also think if they keep Liam, he will take the big Scot Diamond type jump.
    Agree or not?
    I sure hope Hendriks survives in the Twins rotation. And I do agree he should pretty much be a lock for a look at the MLB level

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    that would be outstanding!

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt Hendriks has "sewn up" anything given his performance this past season. Most likely, he'll be competing in ST with Gibson, Deduno and others for the fifth spot in the rotation. Of course, that requires the Twins to fill three other spots...

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sewn up, no. Most likely candidate to be added to the rotation, yes.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hendriks absolutely should have the #5 spot in the rotation. Outside of Gibson, he is the only prospect at SP with any sort of upside that is major league ready. Hendriks has nothing left to prove in the minors. His rate stats last year are comparable to Viola and Milton when they first came up, albeit they were a year younger. Milton and Viola both had more innings 172 and 126 vs 85 for Hendriks. I wish Gardy had just left Liam in the rotation the way Kelly did with Milton and Viola on crappy teams. Then maybe we would have a better idea of what we have. I just hope it isn't Kevin Slowey.
    Last edited by Physics Guy; 11-28-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I doubt Hendriks has "sewn up" anything given his performance this past season. Most likely, he'll be competing in ST with Gibson, Deduno and others for the fifth spot in the rotation. Of course, that requires the Twins to fill three other spots...
    I hope the Twins decide on the Medlen route for Gibson rather than the Stasburg route. I would rather he starts in the pen and bring him along slowly to limit his innings.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I hope the Twins decide on the Medlen route for Gibson rather than the Stasburg route. I would rather he starts in the pen and bring him along slowly to limit his innings.
    I think they should do the Medlen way as well. But will either on matter? Because the Twins likely arent going to be in the playoff race next year,

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    He should, under the assumption they do not acquire 3 legit other starters, and plan to compete. If they do acquire 3 legit starters, I do not know who number 5 is

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know that he is viewed as significantly more ready than Deduno, De Vries or maybe even Walters right now. I think the Twins would like him to outpace those guys in spring training, but if one of those guys has a better spring, I can see them going with someone else.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He will probably get a better shot than De Vries and Walters, sinc ethe Twins already know what those two can bring to the table. But, I think Deduno has the best chance to stick out of spring training, along with Hendriks. The other two will be ready when and if anyone fails or get injured.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    My personal opinion is that, while he may or may not have a spot "sewn up" according to Gardy and the front office, he should be given every chance to succeed or fail. His numbers in AAA were absolutely outstanding, he's still very young, and while he's certainly taken some lumps at the major league level thus far, he has had no real consistent time to prove himself.

If I were in charge, I would sit down with him and say: "You're in. Think of this as your major league tryout. If you go out there and get shelled time after time, you'll find yourself off the roster. But if you go out there and have a single bad game, you won't need to worry about whether you'll still be here tomorrow. Now go prove something."
    Last edited by 70charger; 11-28-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    And in case it matters, I'm a big believer in the idea that Hendriks not only can, but will prove himself.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    And in case it matters, I'm a big believer in the idea that Hendriks not only can, but will prove himself.
    I like your thinking, I agree.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The last time we had three highly stated ST competitions, the guy who did better in ST ended up losing. Span vs Gomez for CF (Gomez won), Harris versus Punto for 3B (Punto won), Slowey versus the 5 starters who made the rotation. (Slowey got sent to the bullpen).

Yeah, remember that last one, where they said we have a surplus of quality starting pitching so we'll have a battle to see who the top 5 are...a surplus of pitching...yeah right
    Last edited by ThePuck; 11-28-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    The last time we had three highly stated ST competitions, the guy who did better in ST ended up losing. Span vs Gomez for CF (Gomez won), Harris versus Punto for 3B (Punto won), Slowey versus the 5 starters who made the rotation. (Slowey got sent to the bullpen).

Yeah, remember that last one, where they said we have a surplus of quality starting pitching so we'll have a battle to see who the top 5 are...a surplus of pitching...yeah right
    Thats when every team was beating on the Twins door for a quality pitcher...we just hand an abundance of good pitchers

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    He pitched about 50 innings this year, and most of them starting. The Twins most likely will start him in AAA to make sure he can go deep into games and bring him up in June. I'd have him start with the Twins right away, but thats me. I think they'll let him go 120-150 IP and cut him off. I don't like the idea of starting the pen and coming up slow. Two different positions that require completely different approaches. Bad idea.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Dont believe Gardy ever lets players win a job in spring training.....tho they can lose it. Ive always thought Gardy knows his 25 guys coming into camp......believe Hendiks has the 5th spot and its his to lose, again if he's not dealt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast