Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins interested in a Francisco Liriano reunion

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be a terrible decision to bring Liriano back, unless he was the third best pitcher signed by the Twins. That is not going to happen.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It would be a terrible decision to bring Liriano back, unless he was the third best pitcher signed by the Twins. That is not going to happen.
    If they sign one more free agent and trade Span for another leaving Liriano to be a 3-4-5 starter, I can't see why not -- particularly given the dwindling list of alternatives.

IALTO coming

I don't get it. How many times does Liriano have to show that he is not 'fixable', before people stop thinking that he can return to 2006 form or even sniff what he was in 2010? He is comparable to DeVries, or Hendricks at this point. 3rd or 4th starter at best. Is it worth the down-side?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,477 Times in 774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    If they sign one more free agent and trade Span for another leaving Liriano to be a 3-4-5 starter, I can't see why not -- particularly given the dwindling list of alternatives.
    This is my thinking as well. Three (good) pitchers aren't going to come from FA. The Twins are going to have to trade for someone to bring in three new arms that are more than rotation filler.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So the Twins are looking at Brett Myers and Liriano to go with Scott Diamond. I like that they are all different Myers and Diamond are the soft tossers right and left handed respectively and Liriano is more power. now how much will they cost?

Myers 3 years 9-10 million per season
    Liriano 1 year 6 million with incentives? or will he get more years?

Lastly who will the Twins trade for?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One last ? how much will Jurgens from atlanta get once he gets nontendered?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    So the Twins are looking at Brett Myers and Liriano to go with Scott Diamond. I like that they are all different Myers and Diamond are the soft tossers right and left handed respectively and Liriano is more power. now how much will they cost?

I could live with Myers OR Liriano, whichever will sign first for under 5M a year. Either one for 4-5M is preferable to signing Marquis for 3M. If Feldman is worth 6M, I'm not sure that will happen. Going on the premise that seems to be the prevailing opinion, that the Twins sign two FA and trade for one other pitcher, one of the two FA has to be better than that pair. If they sign both, the trade better be for a #1 or #2.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries

Myers at 9-10 mil. per season? I was thinking more like 3/9-10 overall....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    This is what results when Plan A (sign Baker) doesn't work.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He might be the third best pitcher the Twins can afford. I wouldn't be too bothered by this if A. They also acquire a front-line guy. B. He's the third best pitcher the Twins acquire. and C. He's cheap.

Ryan has said he wants to acquire three guys, two of whom would be top 2 starters. I know there's a lot of skepticism that he can (or is willing to) get this done. But it's not that unrealistic. If they use Willy and/or Span to acquire one and use most of the remaining dough on a FA like Myers, they still might have some money left over for a Liriano signing. Stop laughing Gleeman. It could happen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post

Myers at 9-10 mil. per season? I was thinking more like 3/9-10 overall....
    No one will give him a 3 year deal worth 9-10 million, that's for sure

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I'd rather have Liriano than Myers or Pavano or a bunch of other guys. I don't think there's any risk of Liriano being one of the next 5 starters to sign, or even one of the next 10, so talking to his agent isn't a big deal, as one of a bunch of backup options.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Myers will get 1 year.

If they sign: Marcum, Liriano, and Jurrgens that could be a nice start to free agency. Maybe you can even trade Span for a good pitching prospect as well.

Can't we all get into a time machine and fast forward to 2015? This losing/no hope/watching our "Money Ball" coaching staff (the ones that don't get it) is painful and then having Carl's kids being as parsimonious as pa is almost too much.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would assume Ryan talking to Liriano's agent is more or less in the category of "leaving no stone unturned". That doesn't mean they wouldn't offer Liriano a contract, just that it would likely take place after most of the rotation is in place. It would also likely mean a very reasonable contract, likely in the Marquis area. At this point it would be hard for me to see anyone offering Liriano more than $3-4 million. Maybe plus incentives.

These type of stories usually come from agents. They are trying to show teams that there is interest in their guy. Personally, I am not particularly excited about bringing Liriano back. He can't manage his mechanics, he hasn't learned how to pitch, and I think somewhere in his head he thinks that it will be 2006 again with the high 90's fastball and the unhitable slider. If he does come back to the Twins, I hope Parker is right, and Cuellar can work some magic with him.

Liked 139 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Iowegian View Post
    How many times does Liriano have to show that he is not 'fixable'...?
    I'm not convinced yet. I like the idea, as long as it's for a reasonable price.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alternatives are still out there. I am not sure what the damn panic is AT ALL. I would definitely like the Twins to wait before making such a decision to bring back a washed-up headcase who has has been bad/injured for 4 out of 7 seasons in his career. Imagine the craziness in being concerned about that!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast