Thread: Gammons: Red Sox called about Mauer monthly

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gammons: Red Sox called about Mauer monthly

https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/st...12712636989441

They were repeatedly told it was not going to happen.

Should it?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    No, but I really think Mauer would hit .350 if he had the monster to slap a bunch of hits off of. So part of me would like to see that. But it's a small part. Glad he's staying.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    I just don't think it makes sense for the Twins under any realistic scenario. The club is a business and the move would alienate a lot of customers. There is no way the Red Sox or any other team would offer enough talent to make up for off-the-field negatives. Even coming up with a trade on purely baseball terms is hard to imagine, because Mauer's contract isn't exactly a bargain.

If teams are calling, it's because they think/hope the Twins want to be rid of the contract. But I think that's a bridge too far even for the family that tried to delete the team.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only if they gave up 4 top prospects!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I don't think BOS would ever offer enough to make it worth the Twins while--and if they did, they would have weakened themselves so badly that Mauer would refuse without a "sweetener" for himself.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    No, but I really think Mauer would hit .350 if he had the monster to slap a bunch of hits off of. So part of me would like to see that. But it's a small part. Glad he's staying.

This is my view EXACTLY. I would love to see that. He would pull more homers and hit 50 doubles by going the other way. It is VERY smart for the Red Sox to try that.

Liked 293 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if Mauer would be willing to waive his no trade restriction.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I don't think BOS would ever offer enough to make it worth the Twins while--and if they did, they would have weakened themselves so badly that Mauer would refuse without a "sweetener" for himself.
    The Twins could throw in Morneau, then, that might sweeten the deal and keep Mauer off of 1B full-time, to boot. The Twins should be able to get 4 legit prospects on that deal plus John Lester (team-friendly contract with team option for 2014).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The Twins could throw in Morneau, then, that might sweeten the deal and keep Mauer off of 1B full-time, to boot. The Twins should be able to get 4 legit prospects on that deal plus John Lester (team-friendly contract with team option for 2014).
    The rebuild from the ground up group has appeared and send the Twins on the path of the Pirates and Royals. Red Sox probably do not have that many super prospects. The ones they got from the Dodgers were like at highest 3 on down and that is generous, it was more like a 5 and lower.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The rebuild from the ground up group has appeared and send the Twins on the path of the Pirates and Royals. Red Sox probably do not have that many super prospects. The ones they got from the Dodgers were like at highest 3 on down and that is generous, it was more like a 5 and lower.
    The Red Sox still have great prospects in their system and seem desperate to make this deal- which means- Xander Bogaerts is likely on the table, along with 5 good-to-very-good SP prospects, at least two of whom are major-league ready. Can you imagine the Twins solving their MI for the next 15 years by acquiring both Bogaerts and Jose Iglesias....?....along with 2 SP prospects with Hi K/Low WHIP histories.....AND Jon Lester????

That's nothing close to a Pirate/Royal-type deal and probably is too rich for the Sox to give up, but they do have other near ML-ready prospects as well, at Catcher, 3B and MI.

A payroll-cleansing move like this obviously opens up other non-Pirate/Royal options for further bolstering for another starting pitcher and position player- and getting the timing right for the top farm prospects to fill the open spots in 2014 and 2015.
    Last edited by jokin; 11-28-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/st...12712636989441

They were repeatedly told it was not going to happen.

Should it?
    Absolutely!!!! Needs to happen. If the Twins aren't going to sink the money into putting a quality supporting cast around him when he is in his prime, they should re-tool and free themselves from the 23M a year commitment

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When you lose 95+ games in consecutive seasons, nobody should be off the table. It all depends on the return. If the pitching staff isn't instantly improved by trading Mauer, no dice. The team can't take the PR hit of having two awful seasons and then trading their homegrown face of the franchise. Trading Mauer needs to bring back both immediate help and several high upside prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    These rumors just make minimal sense to me. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was solid (albeit not spectacular) last season, David Ross reportedly went to Boston on assurances that he'll be able to start 1-3 times per week behind the plate, and Boston's best pure hitter in the minors is a catcher (though only by name, not defensive ability). That the BoSox are so strongly associated with Mauer currently doesn't seem to me to make sense as they shouldn't be offering much to bring in Mauer as they already have a decent catching situation, and it'd be like going from a B to an A, and the Twins wouldn't move Mauer without a monster return. I just don't get it.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 793 Times in 493 Posts
    To me this just smacks of east coast arrogance. They won't offer enough and they'll think the Twins will still do it because they are the Red Sox. Yeah, I know ... there is no logical thought in that reasoning, but still. East coast arrogance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Rumor is the Red Sox want Mauer to play first base, not catch. http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...boston-red-sox

If holding on to Mauer means going after the Brett Myerses and Francisco Lirianos in free agency, I say trade him.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Trade anybody if it will make the team better today and down the road!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    These rumors just make minimal sense to me. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was solid (albeit not spectacular) last season, David Ross reportedly went to Boston on assurances that he'll be able to start 1-3 times per week behind the plate, and Boston's best pure hitter in the minors is a catcher (though only by name, not defensive ability). That the BoSox are so strongly associated with Mauer currently doesn't seem to me to make sense as they shouldn't be offering much to bring in Mauer as they already have a decent catching situation, and it'd be like going from a B to an A, and the Twins wouldn't move Mauer without a monster return. I just don't get it.
    Perhaps when BOS realized that a Mauer wasn't in the cards that an offer was made for Ross?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post

This is my view EXACTLY. I would love to see that. He would pull more homers and hit 50 doubles by going the other way. It is VERY smart for the Red Sox to try that.
    Sorry, guys. Apparently you haven't heard. You see, because he's hitting the ball to the opposite field, he necessarily hits it softly. He probably couldn't even reach The Monster most of the time. (OK, now how do you turn off the "sarcasm font?")