Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Fickle Fans!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fickle Fans!

Earlier today, Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz was suspended for 25 games in a violation of the league's performance-enhancing drug policy. In a phone interview, General Manager Ruben Amaro said that he doesn't think that the suspension will prevent future negotiations on a contract extension, according to Matt Gelb and Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Amaro also said that the club may look at other catching options, but it won't be a frontline piece. We learned earlier tonight that the Phillies signed Humberto Quintero to a minor league pact, but the deal was apparently reached before the news on Ruiz was known.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#uXv3gBMoFDAB3fWR.99

Shame on everyone of you (you know who you are, we do too!) who compared Mauer's numbers to Ruiz's this past summer. Cheaters never prosper in MLB (anymore anyway!)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So thats why Ruiz had such a good year....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    So we should assume anyone that has a good year is cheating, and not praise them, is that your argument?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you still taking his side?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,185 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So we should assume anyone that has a good year is cheating, and not praise them, is that your argument?
    No, we should assume Ruiz had a good year because he cheated, and not praise him. I think that's the argument anyway.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how many players get away with cheating by staying one step ahead of the testers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I have never praised or supported him. But your post seemed to imply we should have assumed he was cheating. Maybe I just misread your post.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I wonder how many players get away with cheating by staying one step ahead of the testers.
    Some always will. Baseball's system is light years behind the NFL's system, for instance, but there are still those who get away with steroids in the NFL. Random testing will allow that. You start doing mandatory testing 1-3 times per year on players, and it will become near impossible to dodge drug use unless, of course, that darned Fed Ex guy screws up again.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    How was Ruiz cheating? Didn't he test hot for Adderrall?

I can't believe all these players are getting busted, it really isn't that hard to get a scrip for it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Some always will. Baseball's system is light years behind the NFL's system, for instance, but there are still those who get away with steroids in the NFL. Random testing will allow that. You start doing mandatory testing 1-3 times per year on players, and it will become near impossible to dodge drug use unless, of course, that darned Fed Ex guy screws up again.
    It was my understanding that some of the latest cream based steroids were clear of your system in 24 hours and undetectable after that. Mandatory testing 1-3 times/year will catch a few guys but it would be impossible imo to make a dent in the problem.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Baseball's system is light years behind the NFL's system.
    Wait...what?

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    It was my understanding that some of the latest cream based steroids were clear of your system in 24 hours and undetectable after that. Mandatory testing 1-3 times/year will catch a few guys but it would be impossible imo to make a dent in the problem.
    The synthetic testosterone creams are undetectable within 24-48 hours in urine, but for months in blood tests. The blood test would also have to be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Baseball's system is light years behind the NFL's system.
    Wait...what?
    The NFL tests for more masking agents, has options to test players via blood after previous offenses, etc. that baseball is nowhere near accomplishing in their testing system. That's just the beginning of it as well.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Cheaters never prosper in MLB (anymore anyway!)
    Ryan Braun. Melky Cabrera.