Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Feldman, the Cubs, and how Theo Epstien is making Terry Ryan's life miserable

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts

Scott Feldman, the Cubs, and how Theo Epstien is making Terry Ryan's life miserable

The Cubs just gave Scott Feldman, a back end of the rotation/swingman, a $6 million base salary plus incentives. The Cubs certainly seem to be setting the market for low-end starting pitching options with this signing and the generous deal they gave to Scott Baker. I'd guess moves like this indicate there will be little to no starting pitching bargain shopping this holiday season, even to get a guy who should profile to be a number five starter, Terry Ryan is still going to have to overpay.

I sure hope he has a few deals in the works for young controlable starters because I'm going to be pretty disappointed if the Twins walk away from this offseason having to overpay for a soft tossing number 4 starter like Joe Saunders or Brandon McCarthy and still be forced to pay $8 million+. In doing so, Ryan would then have to try to con the fanbase into believing that one of these bums is actually an ace.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Just because two terrible teams like the Cubs and Royals are overpaying for garbage doesn't mean the rest of the teams are going to follow suit.

Feldman for 6 million is a freaking joke. Anything over 2.5 mil for him is overpaying.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Just because two terrible teams like the Cubs and Royals are overpaying for garbage doesn't mean the rest of the teams are going to follow suit.

Feldman for 6 million is a freaking joke. Anything over 2.5 mil for him is overpaying.
    A rising tide lifts all boats.

The Cubs aren't doing the Twins any favors, that's for sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Fangraphs believes he will be league average and is a great value. I do not think he is the pitcher you all think he is. He us making Ryan's job hard because he is taking all the bargains off the table, reducing the supply of pitchers....

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Darn. Feldman was a sleeper that I liked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Fangraphs believes he will be league average and is a great value. I do not think he is the pitcher you all think he is. He us making Ryan's job hard because he is taking all the bargains off the table, reducing the supply of pitchers....
    I would have been happy with Feldmen as a sleeper pick up, but when you pay a guy $6 million it kind of erases the UNDERRATED/SLEEPER label from your title. If the Twins pay a starter $6 million, he's probably going to be expected to 2-3 starter.

Senior Member All-Star
    A number 2 starter is worth 12 to 15 million a year, not 6.

Senior Member All-Star
    Terry Ryan doesn't have Fangraphs bookmarked. $6 million is a 2-3 for the Twins.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in agreement with those that anything over about $3-4 million for Feldman was too much, so this signing does nothing for me...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Poor TR. How's he supposed to put together a contending rotation on a shoestring budget now?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    TR was on talkin' Twins last night.

After listening the three things I cam away from the discussion. I"m para-phrasing here, so give me a little latitude.

1) Essentially all of the free agent money will be devoted to Pitching.
    2) Signing prior to the winter meetings tend to be overpriced.
    3) He is expecting to sign enough quality starting pitching so that the team can compete in 2013

The Jury is obviously still out, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until we start to see him actually make some moves.

He either knows what he is doing and will put together a quality pitching staff or the game has passed him by and it is time for a change. Either way we should know on April 1st.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    We can keep consoling ourselves by saying this GM paid too much for that starter and that GM paid too much for that starter...until it finally clicks that the only way you sign anyone decent is by 'spending too much'...which turns into it really not being too much cause it's the amount needed to get the job done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I would have been happy with Feldmen as a sleeper pick up, but when you pay a guy $6 million it kind of erases the UNDERRATED/SLEEPER label from your title. If the Twins pay a starter $6 million, he's probably going to be expected to 2-3 starter.
    6 million isn't gonna get you a #2 or even a top notch #3.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    If you change a couple of words to re-write the sentence as, "If the Twins pay a starter $6 million, he's probably going to be expected to BE THE TWINS' 2-3 starter," it becomes a much more accurate statement... unfortunately.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Would a "Top Notch #3" be a bottom notch #2?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts

If Ryan does what he says...

Like minn55441, I listened to Ryan on ESPN 1500 with Mackey and Pelissaro last night. I was heartened in particular by one statement in response to a question about the trade involving Buehrle: "I respect Buehrle a lot....but we need several Buehrle's". He left the very distinct impression that he intends to solve the rotation problem, to do it with at least Buehrle quality pitchers, and that he has the financial muscle to do it.

I agree with minn55441. Time will tell. I personally am optimistic, and think the critics are premature in judging things, especially ahead of the winter meetings next week.

There are tons of Feldman's and Baker's out there. I'm holding out for two pitchers better than those two, maybe a third.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Would a "Top Notch #3" be a bottom notch #2?
    Sure, why not :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm in agreement with those that anything over about $3-4 million for Feldman was too much, so this signing does nothing for me...
    I'm so sick of Twins apologists and statements like this, quit trying to be an armchair GM. IT'S A ONE YEAR FRICKING DEAL! I don't even care about Feldman specifically, but to justify passing on a player over $2-3 million on a ONE YEAR contract?!?! Come on!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesfan11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm so sick of Twins apologists and statements like this, quit trying to be an armchair GM. IT'S A ONE YEAR FRICKING DEAL! I don't even care about Feldman specifically, but to justify passing on a player over $2-3 million on a ONE YEAR contract?!?! Come on!!
    Makes one wonder what kind of free agent pitcher you'd expect to be able to sign for 6M a year...

Senior Member All-Star
    Tons of Feldmans and Bakers? What is your definition of "tons"? Because I would put them in the top 20 easily.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast