Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wil Myers V Chris Parmelee

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I do agree, some of the responses were less than kind....
    the problem with today's society is that it's considered impolite to tell an idiot he's an idiot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I am one of the harshest critics of non-performance in my workplace, and have no issue pointing out here and other places in life where people are just flat out filled with stupid ideas, but there are polite ways to talk to people, and impolite ways. YMMV, of course.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I do agree, some of the responses were less than kind....
    the problem with today's society is that it's considered impolite to tell an idiot he's an idiot.
    Exactly right my friend.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    Sheesh, you people are mean.

I guess I was way off to think for even a second that a 24 year old with a 1.102 OPS at AAA and some time in the majors had any sort of value. And to be sooo ridiculous to actually put him in the same sentence as Wil Myers and his .932 OPS in the historically hitter-friendly PCL is plain outrageous. Yes, Babe Myers did hit 7 more home runs during his time at AAA, in 106 more at bats (thanks for the tip to use google, that came in really handy to find that out).

Yes Wil Myers is an extremely highly regarded prospect, higher than Parmelee, I acknowledge that. But is it so fantastical to think that had the Twins not rushed Parmelee to the majors to sit on the bench at the beginning of 2012, and kept his prospect status, that he might be mentioned in the same Twins Daily message board Forum thread?

And another thing. I believe I also mentioned that the Twins would have to throw in an outfielder as well to possibly be mentioned. I don't know if that's enough, maybe not, but the Rays and Red Sox both need a first baseman and an outfielder. It seems that some of the threads I've read on this site suggest that the Twins have depth in those two positions. But, I'm probably wrong about that too.
    Um, they rushed Parmelee? 6 years in the minors for the #20 pick in the 2006 draft?
    Exactly this is Parmelee's last year to prove he can be an everyday MLB player. If he doesnt prove he can play he will be worth ass much as Clement who we just signed. Im a big Parmelee fan however, so im hoping he can prove he can be a solid Major League Player.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Well at least all that bravado early about not allowing any belittling to happen has gone out the window. We have the brilliant rationality of your average offseason speculation for putting that to the test!

Liked 329 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    Sheesh, you people are mean.
    Oh, c'mon, I'm the only really mean one, and I at least feel bad about it.

That being said, here are three reasons Myers and Parmalee aren't comps. First, Parmalee is almost four years older. That's like 28 years of difference in either dog or prospect years. Second, Parmalee has only excelled over a whole season while being young for his league one time. Myers has done it all but one, and in that season (AA at age 20) he wasn't overmatched. Third, Parmalee's best shot at having anything like comparable defensive value to Myers is to hope that Myers loses a foot after being struck by a meteorite.

But hey, it's baseball, and Parmalee could end up playing playing in All Star games that Wil Myers tries not to watch on the big screen TV while tending bar in his late 20's. Seems unlikely, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12