Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strib's JoeC: Brett Myers' Agent says Twins "perhaps very interested"

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Strib's JoeC: Brett Myers' Agent says Twins "perhaps very interested"

Story link: http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...1.html?refer=y

Brett Myers is an interesting idea, though I'm sure his lack of overpowering speed and mediocre (to be kind) strikeout rates will fail to excite most Twins fans. If Myers would turn out to be the "biggest" addition to the rotation that Terry Ryan can come up with, I would be less than thrilled, as well, but let's be honest... the Twins are not going to be high on the list of teams for most top free agent pitchers. Teams that have lost as many games as the Twins have lately often have to settle for pitchers who are trying to re-establish themselves and with Myers trying to find a team that will give him an opportunity to earn a rotation spot, rather than a bullpen gig, it may be a logical match.

That being the case, I don't think I'd have any objection at all to the Twins signing Myers to a low guarantee plus incentives deal. If you're Myers, you certainly have to look at the guys the Twins current starters and think, "hell I KNOW I'm better than those guys."
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Im fine with Myers since he's had 3 200+IP yrs with 3 more over 190 as long as its not the 'big' move. Brett would be fine as a 4/5 type starter (I believe Diamond is a 3/4 tops). Still need a minimum of 2 more starters then....could get by with Liam Hendriks as a 5 guy.
    This is the prototypical Terry Ryan move.....1yr with low money for a guy to establish himself. Not taking much of a chance.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He will be 32. If the moves stops the Twins from seeking and using a younger pitcher who will be part of the future solution, then I hope they go another direction.

Assuming he can pitch somewhere between the level of his age 29 and 30 years, he will have value at the trade deadline. That only works if the contract is friendly. In that case, he can be an asset that will help the future.

My fear is the Twins will pull a Doumit. He will be a bargain this year. Instead of flipping him for younger talent, they will extend him through 2015 and buy his age 33 and 34 seasons.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    After the embarassment from Baker, I can certainly see Ryan moving hard for Myers. Offer 1 year for a bit more than Baker, then toss in te incentives--and forget an option year. Best case scenario, Myers signs, pitches 200 innings and has an ERA in the low 4's. Absolutely nothing wrong with offering a two-year contract for more of that. It is a virtual certainty that if the Twins sign three new guys to start for 2013--one of them will be a bust. 33/34 year olds are not garbage, and there will be a need for placeholders until the entire pitching staff is rebuilt from Rookie League all the way though the Twins. There is plenty of optimim with the success of several new guys last season--but few will actually make it! This rebuild will take years and there will be disappointments.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be all on-board with the signing of someone like Myers for a Baker-like deal. I'd always want the option year though, in case he handles the return to starting well. Best case scenario, he pitches great from April through July and they can trade him for a legit prospect at the deadline. by June, I'd like to see Diamond, Hendriks, and Gibson as 3/5 of the rotation. I'd be on board with signing Myers. (and I'll still hold out for Anibal Sanchez because he can be that #1 type guy for the next 5-6 years.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    My fear is the Twins will pull a Doumit. He will be a bargain this year. Instead of flipping him for younger talent, they will extend him through 2015 and buy his age 33 and 34 seasons.
    It's pretty hard to complain about the Twins locking up a guy for two years at $3.5m per year. As long as the Twins get a decent deal, I'm not against signing an older pitcher (provided that he's not the Twins "big move" for the entire offseason).

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    If this is the third best pitcher they get, sure.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If this is the third best pitcher they get, sure.
    I think peoples' expectations are far too high. The Twins are not going to get two pitchers better than Brett Myers and Brett Myers. They may get two pitchers better than Brett. They may get Brett and a pitcher better than him. But two pitchers better than him while also signing him to a short contract? Nope. That's a tall order when 29 other teams are fighting for those same pitchers in free agency.

Liked 2,181 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No problem here with Myers providing we land someone better in addition.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's pretty hard to complain about the Twins locking up a guy for two years at $3.5m per year. As long as the Twins get a decent deal, I'm not against signing an older pitcher (provided that he's not the Twins "big move" for the entire offseason).

They should have moved him at the deadline instead of the early commitment.

I care more about the twins investing in the future. Those second half at bats should have been invested in Parmelee's development.

His age, injury history, contract and inability to play adequately at any position make it difficult to get any value back right now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No problem with this as long as Twins get an option year and the price is right. He has filled all roles so could be more valuable than most. Still hoping for 2 better starters, but the more options the Twins have the better chance they have

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Myers would be ok, but we need one alot better.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries

I care more about the twins investing in the future. Those second half at bats should have been invested in Parmelee's development.

His age, injury history, contract and inability to play adequately at any position make it difficult to get any value back right now.
    Doumit's value doubled the moment he signed that extension. If the need should arise, the Twins will get more for him now that he's been extended through 2014. You're flat-out wrong about his value. He's an incredibly valuable piece that 2/3rds of teams would love to have on their roster. Once you factor in his $7m salary for two years, you could probably bump that number to 28-29 teams. Henry Blanco made $1.2m last season and OPSed at .500. You're drastically undervaluing what backup catchers are paid. Backup catchers who OPS at .800 are a crown jewel of baseball; most teams can't find a starting catcher that OPSes at .700, much less .800.

Given Mauer's questionable ability to play catcher more than 100 games a season, Doumit is just about the best player the Twins could have picked up last offseason. He has a bat and is an adequate catcher if he's only behind the dish 50 times a year. The Twins couldn't have played the Doumit situation any better than they played it. Signed him to a one year deal and then extended him right before the deadline (and they said that if a deal couldn't be reached, they would have moved him).

I don't know what some of you expect from the Twins. They still need to field all nine positions and Doumit is dirt-cheap for his production level. He's a friggin' steal at $3.5m per year. Do you really expect fans to pay to watch Drew ****ing Butera (also known as the worst hitter in Major League Baseball) play 80 times a year? Doumit isn't preventing Parmelee from getting ABs. The Twins front office and management is preventing Parmelee from getting ABs. Instead of complaining about Doumit being on the team (a productive player at a necessary position playing for way less than he's worth), we should be asking why Span is still on the team because Denard, unlike Doumit, actually had value at last year's deadline. There are three players the team could trade to make room for Parmelee and all of them either make more money or carry much more value in trade than Ryan did last July and none of them double as a part-time catcher who OPSes around .800.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    we are the team that settles....

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries

Doumit's value doubled the moment he signed that extension. If the need should arise, the Twins will get more for him now that he's been extended through 2014. You're flat-out wrong about his value. He's an incredibly valuable piece that 2/3rds of teams would love to have on their roster. Once you factor in his $7m salary for two years, you could probably bump that number to 28-29 teams. Henry Blanco made $1.2m last season and OPSed at .500. You're drastically undervaluing what backup catchers are paid. Backup catchers who OPS at .800 are a crown jewel of baseball; most teams can't find a starting catcher that OPSes at .700, much less .800.

Given Mauer's questionable ability to play catcher more than 100 games a season, Doumit is just about the best player the Twins could have picked up last offseason. He has a bat and is an adequate catcher if he's only behind the dish 50 times a year. The Twins couldn't have played the Doumit situation any better than they played it. Signed him to a one year deal and then extended him right before the deadline (and they said that if a deal couldn't be reached, they would have moved him).

I don't know what some of you expect from the Twins. They still need to field all nine positions and Doumit is dirt-cheap for his production level. He's a friggin' steal at $3.5m per year. Do you really expect fans to pay to watch Drew ****ing Butera (also known as the worst hitter in Major League Baseball) play 80 times a year? Doumit isn't preventing Parmelee from getting ABs. The Twins front office and management is preventing Parmelee from getting ABs. Instead of complaining about Doumit being on the team (a productive player at a necessary position playing for way less than he's worth), we should be asking why Span is still on the team because Denard, unlike Doumit, actually had value at last year's deadline. There are three players the team could trade to make room for Parmelee and all of them either make more money or carry much more value in trade than Ryan did last July and none of them double as a part-time catcher who OPSes around .800.
    I think our understanding of players decline is different.

We already paid for his 800 OPS season. That was a different contract and has nothing to do with his 7 million.

We also differ on our assessment of his ability to defend as a catcher and therefore being able to start in the NL.

The shot at Butera was uncalled for. Butera has done nothing to deserve that shot. One can disagree with management choosing to put him on roster. One can be objective about his skill set without the shot. Using asterisks to avoid the administrator is classless.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries

You couldn't be more right about that.
    I'll take Brett Myers, as long as we don't overpay him too much.
    We're going to have a very underwhelming offseason, I predict. He could be the best guy we bring in.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm fine with Myers, maybe at 2 years and no more than 9M. I could see one other pitcher (hoping Sanchez, expecting Marcum or Blanton) from the FA market and possibly a trade (Span or Willingham) for the third SP. Rotation would be Marcum, Myers, Diamond, Hendriks and player acquired for OF. Gibson starts in bullpen, much like the Braves did with Medlen. Sad part is I think it could end up being: Blanton, Myers, Diamond, Hendricks and Deduno. I REALLY hope Ryan has something up his sleeve.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I think our understanding of players decline is different.

We already paid for his 800 OPS season. That was a different contract and has nothing to do with his 7 million.

We also differ on our assessment of his ability to defend as a catcher and therefore being able to start in the NL.

The shot at Butera was uncalled for. Butera has done nothing to deserve that shot. One can disagree with management choosing to put him on roster. One can be objective about his skill set without the shot. Using asterisks to avoid the administrator is classless.
    Oh, my understanding of player decline is just fine. Doumit is entering his age 32 season in 2013. As far as I know, he is not queued up to have both his legs amputated this offseason. He's easily worth $3.5m a year at a .750 OPS, much less the .830/.780 OPS he has posted in the past two seasons. He was a 1 WAR player this season. Getting a 1 WAR player for $3.5m is the way you build a competent roster. An average baseball win costs a team $7-8m. Getting that production across several positions (even though he plays none of them well) for $3.5m is a steal no matter if you play in the NL or the AL (notice that I continually referred to Doumit as a "backup" catcher). Doumit is a competent receiver, if slightly deficient in some areas. He won't kill you behind the dish a la Mike Piazza but he won't ever be considered good. I'd wager that if the Twins put him on the block right now, at least half the teams in the NL would be calling them, asking what they'd like in return. Again, Henry Blanco made $1.2m last year at age 40. He OPSed at .505. Catchers are always in demand. 32 year old backup catchers that OPS at .780 and make $3.5m a season are something almost every team in baseball would leap at the opportunity to acquire.

Butera is the worst hitter in MLB. That's all there is to it. He shouldn't sniff a Major League roster, much less be awarded 500 PA over two seasons. I don't care how good he is behind the dish; he's completely incompetent with the bat. As in "one of the worst players to acquire a full seasons' worth of ABs" bad.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Glad this turned into a heated Doumit debate.

I would be just fine with a Myers signing. The only reason the Astros moved him out of the rotation is to give their younger arms a shot and to increase his value at the trade dead line (not sure if logical).
    Last edited by raindog; 11-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Complaining about the Doumit contract seems not only a misappraisal but petty. That Doumit would have fetched anything worthwhile in a trade is ludicrous. Doumit's value at 3.5 mil is a nonbrainer for any team. For a team with the fragility of Mauer and Morneau, the value to the Twins is even more. C'mon man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast