Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strib's JoeC: Brett Myers' Agent says Twins "perhaps very interested"

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The budget is not the reason I am concerned about the Twins adding players to a bad team that are highly likely to decline.

They need to build a foundation and then add. Veteran players are an attempt to patch a crumbling foundation. You know the patch won't last long and will weaken over time. The patch does make things look a little better today.

Adding veterans to a 2010 Twins team makes more sense.
    So what should they do? Not spend the money and give ABs to Drew Butera? What does that accomplish?
    I believe we are back where we started.

My comment on Myers was to sign him to a one year deal and flip him at the trade deadline. That is what I would have done with Doumit instead of extending him.
    Doumit's value was very low at the deadline. While teams need a backup catcher that can hit, no team is going to fall over themselves to trade much of anything for a three month rental of said backup catcher. Look at what the Twins got for Liriano. Halve that and there's your return on Doumit.

And at that point, why bother? If you can extend that guy, you do it because his value as a three month rental is minimal and he fills a need on your team. As an added bonus, if you trade him the following year, his value will be higher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I look forward to the return.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Doumit is worth more to the Twins under his current contract than any anemic return they would have received in a trade.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Myers is worth a 2 year 18 million contract. If the Twins can get him signed and then trade a CF for another starting pitcher then we are only one more starting pitcher away from a rotation.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Even if you are right, is 3.5M *2 that big of a deal? It's one thing to argue the Twins should have traded Willingham or Morneau but Doumit's return and contract are far more insignificant.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Even if you are right, is 3.5M *2 that big of a deal? It's one thing to argue the Twins should have traded Willingham or Morneau but Doumit's return and contract are far more insignificant.
    Yep. This team already has enough Esmerling Vasquezes. We don't need more of that player.

And that's what the return on Doumit would have been at the deadline.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't say I would be excited by Myers signing with the Twins but it seems like the kind of move they would make. I wonder if there are more teams interested in him now that this story was widely reported??

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    No thanks to Myers.

We're talking about giving a year with an option (or even 2 years?) to a guy who's been a mediocre starter in the NL and has since been converted to a reliever. And since becoming a reliever, his K/9 has actually decreased.

I know the Astros have been a poorly run organization recently, but they know this guy better than the Twins do... and the Astros didn't want Myers in their awful rotation.

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Astro's use of Myers was very different. They wanted to see what pitchers could turn out to be useful in the future, Myers was better in the bullpen and they could get a better return for him using him in that role. If Myers is the cheapest of the FA starting pitchers the Twins signed, I think this could be a good move. Reason Twins are so high on his list is that he could be used as a starter.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    2 years and 7M for Myers? Oof, the difference between reality and pre-offseason speculation continues to grow!

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Myers has been a fly ball pitcher in hitters' parks. His k/bb ratio is good and he strikes out more hitters than most Twins pitchers. Looking at him more closely, I actually think he might be a decent fit for the Twins in Target Field. Obviously there are risks involved and his last season could be a bad sign or it could be a pitcher in a role he's not used to, or it could be a good thing not a lot of mileage went onto his arm. If they can get him for $5-6M for no more than two years it wouldn't be a terrible signing, though I'd agree I'd hope they'd still get another pitcher or two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123