Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Gibson, Hicks among 8 players added to Twins 40 man roster

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Could someone explain the rules to the minor league portion of the draft?
    In addition to the 40-man roster, teams have a AAA and AA reserve list. These lists aren't public knowledge, so it's hard to know who will be available and who won't be... but if you're not on the reserve lists, you're available to be selected.
    Yeah, we can assume that guys like Pugh and Salcedo will be on the AAA reserve list. Guys who will be eligible for next year's big league Rule 5 (Wimmers, Roberts) would need to be on the AAA reserve list this year. A player who needs to be added to the big league 40 man in two years (Michael, etc.) would need to be on the AA reserve list this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis205 View Post
    Dave St. Peter was on Syd and Dave's show on Sunday and made the comment
    "I wouldn't be surprised if we make a couple deals during the Winter Meetings coming up". So let's wait a few weeks and see what happens.
    I sure hope they make a trade or two to clear out some space for the Rule 5 draft. I'd take a flyer on Daniel Rosenbaum from the Nats. I think he could be 'Diamondesque". A lefty starter with 4 pitches. Not a top-of-the rotation guy, but better than anything we've got right now.

Question: Are there multiple rounds in the draft? It seems to me that the Tigers had multiple Rule 5 picks 1 year when they were awful.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    [Question: Are there multiple rounds in the draft? It seems to me that the Tigers had multiple Rule 5 picks 1 year when they were awful.
    You can make selections as long as you have room on your 40-man. And as long as there is room, you can pick until you pass. A lot of teams pass in the first round. But, yeah, there are multiple rounds...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    For Slama's sake I hope he gets picked in the rule V......anyone except the White Sox is fine.
    Just a correction... It's the Rule 5 draft, not the Rule V draft...

Anyway, I like Anthony and I sincerely hope for him that he does get selected. But teams have had opportunities to pick him up and haven't. I'd be shocked if he was taken now. In part because the last few years only about 10-12 players get drafted in the Rule 5, few stick, and they're generally younger.
    Isn't the fact that they're under team control likely part reason and not just younger? Slama did put a great season together in AAA and that could easily have changed minds. It seems like the back of the bullpen is an easy place to keep a Rule 5 pick (at worst.) Slama could give a team at least a couple of years (possibly more) very cheap.

Last season, Terry Ryan said Slama would get his shot (2013), but to me, this doesn't seem to coincide with that statement, at least if he meant with the Twins. If he really wanted to give him his shot, wouldn't he have been protected just in case? Though maybe these other younger players are more valuable long term.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Be interesting to see what players Miami and Houston might grab. Sometimes you can find a gem, like Slama, as a team's 41st player.

Could someone explain the rules to the minor league portion of the draft?

And, yes, fewer and fewer teams can "stash"a player. I think the Twins may have wished that they had stashed Terry Doyle last season, though.
    I really hope you are not serious. Doyle was released by Chicago. After a glorious late summer in Japan he is in the Red Sox minor leagues. In short. if the Twins had wanted him at any point last year they could have had him.
    Well documented but not well remembered is that any team could have had Slama for free. So his gem must be zirconium.

Doyle arranged his release to sign with Japan, so he didn't pass thru waivers. He had a decent AAA for the Sox and pitched well in Japan. He was a minors free agent and signed with the Red Sox this season. He may have been a bust (had a horrible spring for the Twins) but considering the need the Twins had for a starter last year, it would've been a great opportunity...but the Twins had more faith in Gray and Maloney for the back of the bullpen. My gripe is that they did see something in him that was worth $50,000. But it was as much a blown opportunity by Doyle as it was by the Twins.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If Oliveros I moved to the 60-day Dl to clear a 40man roster spot could he be drafted in the rule-5 draft?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously Tim Wood doesn't belong anywhere near this team. If he ends up being the 2013 equivalent of Jeff Gray, I will just give up on this team.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    If Oliveros I moved to the 60-day Dl to clear a 40man roster spot could he be drafted in the rule-5 draft?
    no, since he can't be put on the DL until the end of ST.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123