Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Royals signed Jeremy Guthrie

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A zenser's Avatar
    Posts
    187
    Like
    15
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

    Royals signed Jeremy Guthrie

    I heard three years but no terms yet. I wonder if the Twins considered him.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Double-A zenser's Avatar
    Posts
    187
    Like
    15
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    3 years $25 million.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    Too rich for my blood.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Royals signed RHP Jeremy Guthrie to a three-year, $25 million contract.

    Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reported the contract information. Guthrie will make $5 million next season, $11 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015. The Royals were reportedly unwilling to offer more than two years, but they ultimately caved to keep him in the fold. Guthrie earned the big payday after posting an impressive 3.16 ERA and 56/19 K/BB ratio over 91 innings after coming over from the Rockies in July. He'll be at the front of the Royals' rotation next season along with recent acquisition Ervin Santana.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    982
    Like
    188
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    At this rate Kevin Correia will be too expensive for the Twins.


    SIGN ME UP!

  6. #6
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,674
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    318
    So we've reached a point where the Royals are showing more urgency to address their rotation than the Twins. Aye.

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,980
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,489 Times in 781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    So we've reached a point where the Royals are showing more urgency to address their rotation than the Twins. Aye.
    While I agree that it'd be nice to see the Twins make a move (TODAY, please), it's not terribly surprising to see a guy go off the board early by sticking with his current team and signing a new contract.

  8. #8
    No need to panic yet as Joe Blanton is still available.
    When Scot Baker @ 5m & Jeremy Guthrie @ 8 are too pricey....doesnt bode eell

  9. #9
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    What's funny is the Twins would have been criticized if they had made this deal, as well.

  10. #10
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,612
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    That is two of the top 20 starting pitchers gone....no need to panic yet.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    382
    Like
    3
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    What's funny is the Twins would have been criticized if they had made this deal, as well.
    Yep.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    490
    Like
    2
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    He's not very good. Adding guys like Guthrie does nothing for the Twins... the Royals can have him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,727
    Like
    1,560
    Liked 1,584 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    He's not very good. Adding guys like Guthrie does nothing for the Twins... the Royals can have him.
    It may be too much to expect the Twins to field a better 4th starter than Guthrie, whose FIPs and xFIPS generally sit in the mid to high 4's. But it's not too much to expect them to do it for a whole lot less than 3 years/$25 million. So yes, good riddance, and a relief that the Twins CAN'T sign him now. I'd rather watch Deduno hit the mascot twice a game than see 25 million go up in smoke with a mediocrity like Guthrie.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    That is two of the top 20 starting pitchers gone....no need to panic yet.
    In terms of the offseason timeline, no, it's not too late to acquire other pitchers.

    But I'll go ahead and panic for a different reason: The Royals just set Jeremy Guthrie's price point at $8.33 million per year. Anybody else here hoping we would pick up somebody better than Jeremy Guthrie? Given that his deal was significantly more than Willingham's, which is far and away the richest FA contract the Twins have ever paid out, I'm don't think this is exactly a good development for us. The only plus side to it is that we aren't stuck with Jeremy Guthrie, but neither are 28 other MLB teams.

    Back in September, there were people hoping to get Anibal Sanchez for exactly the type of numbers Guthrie just got. How delusional does that look now?

  15. #15
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,612
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Hardballtalk had him as the 35th best free agent this year. If people do not want a guy like him, what are you expecting?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A raindog's Avatar
    Posts
    297
    Like
    45
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    That is two of the top 20 starting pitchers gone....no need to panic yet.
    In terms of the offseason timeline, no, it's not too late to acquire other pitchers.

    But I'll go ahead and panic for a different reason: The Royals just set Jeremy Guthrie's price point at $8.33 million per year. Anybody else here hoping we would pick up somebody better than Jeremy Guthrie? Given that his deal was significantly more than Willingham's, which is far and away the richest FA contract the Twins have ever paid out, I'm don't think this is exactly a good development for us. The only plus side to it is that we aren't stuck with Jeremy Guthrie, but neither are 28 other MLB teams.

    Back in September, there were people hoping to get Anibal Sanchez for exactly the type of numbers Guthrie just got. How delusional does that look now?
    That's what I'm worried about, too. This is just an outrageous contract for a mediocre pitcher. And please, nobody act like this would of been a good signing for the Twins.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,727
    Like
    1,560
    Liked 1,584 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    [
    ...But I'll go ahead and panic for a different reason: The Royals just set Jeremy Guthrie's price point at $8.33 million per year. Anybody else here hoping we would pick up somebody better than Jeremy Guthrie? Given that his deal was significantly more than Willingham's, which is far and away the richest FA contract the Twins have ever paid out, I'm don't think this is exactly a good development for us.
    Haven't you heard? Money isn't an issue! The Twins braintrust said so, meaning that it must be true. So what if Sanchez might be looking for 5 years/$70 million now that the Royals have overpaid for Guthrie? Ryan just pays more to get him, without affecting what he can spend on other players. Problem solved!
    Last edited by LaBombo; 11-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

  18. #18
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Hardballtalk had him as the 35th best free agent this year. If people do not want a guy like him, what are you expecting?
    If he was free, sure. But he's not. At three years and twenty-five million, God no.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,217
    Like
    97
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    Another indication that "cheap" is not an adjective to use with "pitching". $20MM (if that is indeed the figure) won't fetch much.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,562
    Like
    17
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    That contract doesn't look horrible to me, kind of what I would expect really. Thats why I say spend the money and get Grienke. Don't **** around with mediocre pitchers like Guthrie.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.