Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Someone Please Tell Me How Nishioka Doesn't Make the 25-Man Roster?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can Someone Please Tell Me How Nishioka Doesn't Make the 25-Man Roster?

I'm trying like hell to figure out how Nishioka cannot make the 25-man roster. The problem isn't that he shouldn't be on it - he CLEARLY shouldn't be on it. The problem is that I'm not sure who else they have to take a spot that is going to belong to a middle infielder. Here's what I've come up with....

1) Give it to Brian Dozier - First, I don't think the Twins will want to call up Dozier unless he's going to play every day. Second, Dozier needs to convince Gardy that he can play shortstop.

2) Give it to Pedro Florimon - I just haven't heard anything about the guy really playing. Is he even in the plans?

3) Don't take a middle infielder - With Plouffe and Casilla on the roster, the Twins really already have two guys who can play shortstop on the roster. Maybe they use the spot on a sub hitter? I know they say Plouffe is an OFer this year, but for an emergency, can't he be the 3rd shortstop? Or even with Hughes on the roster, wouldn't that allow Casilla to move to SS so they don't need the pure MI backup?

I just don't see any of these three things happening. Can anyone please reassure me? Please?

Plus there's this nugget from Phil- “@PMac21: This is very much accurate. Looks totally out of his element on defense RT @JoeCStrib: Nishioka looks more frazzled, not less, this spring.” I don't know who said it, but I tend to agree, I think that Ray Chang would be better than Nishi.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I see he got a hit and raised his average to .294..
    I don't think that's what you are looking for...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Hughes makes the team they have 3 infielders who can play 2B (Casilla, Carroll and Hughes) and 2 who can play SS (Carroll and Casilla.) So when Carroll rests, Hughes can play second and Casilla SS. When Casilla rests, Hughes replaces him at 2B.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

s going to get really interesting. Nishioka belongs in AAA. He is not a major league shortstop. I bet they will play Casilla at short to rest Carroll. Hughes or possibly Burroughs would play 2nd on those days. Is there a chance the Twins release Nishioka if he doesn't turn things around? I'm starting to think he might never come around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    If Hughes makes the team they have 3 infielders who can play 2B (Casilla, Carroll and Hughes) and 2 who can play SS (Carroll and Casilla.) So when Carroll rests, Hughes can play second and Casilla SS. When Casilla rests, Hughes replaces him at 2B.
    Yeah, this. That makes the bench Hughes, Plouffe, third catcher and Burroughs who can push Valencia a bit.

Hughes should probably make it. Both Nishioka and Hughes are on Seth's projected 25-man roster, though. http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?29...d-Twins-Roster

If Burroughs makes it, then Nishioka likely goes to AAA.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady Kruse View Post
    Hughes or possibly Burroughs would play 2nd on those days. .
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    and Burroughs who can push Valencia a bit.
    Dirty little secret: Burroughs has been sucking on the field and with the bat worse that Nishioka this Spring so far. Good story and everything but he got to win a spot
    -----

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nishioka is clearly not major league talent in the field or at the plate. He shouldn't make it regardless of any other situations. The Twins brass needs to admit this was a mistake, eat the contract and move on.

I'm also concluding that puck34 is right. Ray Chang may have to be the middle infield utility guy until Dozier is ready.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But Chang could never play shortstop, right? So the Twins would essentially be banking on Casilla to switch positions if Carrol can't play? I have trouble imagining Gardenhire doing that to a starter voluntarily.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    But Chang could never play shortstop, right? .
    Ray Chang played in 420 MiLB games, 212 of them (highest) was at SS. Second highest was at 3B with 128 games. Last season in Rochester (not in NB, Dozier was there) in the 40 games he played, 38 were at SS. But I have this gut feeling that if it comes to getting down to that level to bring a SS up, it would be Florimon and not Chang. But that is a really remote possibility in my mind...
    -----

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Here is another interesting thing... I looked at PAs as of today's game and Nishioka got the most by far so far in non B games. I suspect that the most PAs a player gets it is because they want to look at him more. Here is a list of Twins' players this Spring with 11 or more PAs this far and their OPS.

Nishioka 18 PA .667 OPS
    Dinkelman 14 PA .607 OPS
    Burroughs 16 PA .468 OPS
    Span 12 PA 1.083 OPS
    Casilla 12 PA .995 OPS
    Doumit 12 PA .944 OPS
    Parmelee 11 PA 1.017 OPS
    Revere 11 PA .788 OPS
    Valencia 11 PA .636 OPS
    Pearce 11 PA .282 OPS

Draw your own conclusions
    -----

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But Chang could never play shortstop, right? So the Twins would essentially be banking on Casilla to switch positions if Carrol can't play? I have trouble imagining Gardenhire doing that to a starter voluntarily.
    Chang is a very good shortstop. Decent bat too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My conclusion is, that is a ridiculously tiny sample size and means nothing. We need at least a week or two more before you can really start drawing clear conclusions.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3) Don't take a middle infielder - With Plouffe and Casilla on the roster, the Twins really already have two guys who can play shortstop on the roster. Maybe they use the spot on a sub hitter? I know they say Plouffe is an OFer this year, but for an emergency, can't he be the 3rd shortstop? Or even with Hughes on the roster, wouldn't that allow Casilla to move to SS so they don't need the pure MI backup?
    I think this is the likely scenario if Nishioka doesn't show vast improvement over the next couple weeks. Carroll and Casilla can both handle SS, and I'd think Plouffe or Hughes could play there in a pinch.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    agree completely ^
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I think they'll send him down for sure, and hope he offers to get out of his contract....or maybe I hope that. I loved this as a gamble last year, so I'm no one to rip the decision (well, I loved it when I thought he was coming in to play 2B, and they were keeping Hardy).
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Casilla can slide to SS when Carroll doesn't play and Hughes then subs for Casilla at 2B. Hughes also spells Casilla at 2B when Alexi doesn't play. If Plouffe makes the team as an outfielder, the fact that he can play SS in a pinch gives more options. Carroll can also back up 2B if needed. No need for a pure 2B/SS backup like Nishioka. 6 possible combinations: SS-Carroll, 2b-Casilla; SS-Casilla, 2B-Hughes; SS-Carroll, 2B-Hughes; SS-Plouffe, 2B-Carroll; SS-Plouffe, 2B-Casilla; SS-Plouffe, 2b-Hughes.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    No need for a pure 2B/SS backup like Nishioka.
    Especially considering that he's not particularly good at either position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast