Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap 2013 additions?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Cheap 2013 additions?

I have a couple of pitchers that would be good additions to the rotation on the cheap. The first one would be Roberto Hernandez(aka Fausto Carmona) and Brett Myers. If the Twins could somehow pull off a James Shields or similar type of pitcher to be the ace you could have a rotation of Shields, Diamond,Hernandez,Myers and possibly Kyle Gibson. That would be a great improvement over last seasons staff.

Or I would try to find out what it would take the Dodgers to trade either Chris Capuano or Aaron Harang who would fit into the back end of the rotation. LA has too many starters and would be willing to deal a starter for some minor leaguers.

To fix 2nd base I would like to see Kelly Johnson.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kelly Johnson
    Stephen Drew
    Erik Bedard

Erik Bedard would not be a good fit.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Erik Bedard would not be a good fit.
    You are right. Strikes too many guys out.

In all seriousness. Any pitcher they can get that can throw innings should not be ruled out at this point.

I should clarify.. quality innings.

My problem with Bedard is his history of injuries. Unless he signs for around $2M or so we will be going to Rochester for replacement just like last season.

Oh ok, valid point. I thought you were referencing the fact that he's a "cancer".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Bedard could be a good signing to ease Gibson into the rotation. Limit Gibson at the start of the year and during the middle of the year when Bedard goes down you have a fresh Gibson. Bedard comes back in time to take the place of the next player to blow out an arm. What is the price of the player per the handbook that I was to cheap to buy?

How about Carl Pavano, is he healthy. Have not heard his name linked to anyone. Is he going to retire?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Joel Pineiro, Matt Torra, or someone else like them are the likely cheap signings by the Twins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    My problem with Bedard is his history of injuries. Unless he signs for around $2M or so we will be going to Rochester for replacement just like last season.
    With said injury history, do you really think anybody is offering him more than $2M a season? He's a stab in the dark like Marquis was last year, but I'd rather see them go after a guy like him. At least he has some upside.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we're looking for a guy to just fill in innings on a minimum deal, I would be at least interested in Jeff Francis. I don't expect much, but his strikeout rate bumped back up last year, and I'd like to get him out of Colorado's thin air.

I'd also roll the dice on Scott Feldman. And I'd be interested to see what Chris Young is like a year after his anterior capsule tear, ala Johan Santana.

What about Homer Bailey or Mike Leake from the Reds? Both are young and cheap. What would it take to get that done?

arrrrrgggggghhhhhh to all that have been mentioned. Not cause they are absurd but since they are inevitable to be Twins

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    back after my 2nd suspention for bad mouthing the complete ineptness of twins management ,even if its by unpoplular demand
    what happened to the 1st amendment ? freedom of speech, what happened to independent of the twins llc?
    ok now that im done snivelling , here are my cheap additions to the twins rotation , villanueva and trading fro Dárnaud and j.a. happ

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    If we're looking for a guy to just fill in innings on a minimum deal, I would be at least interested in Jeff Francis. I don't expect much, but his strikeout rate bumped back up last year, and I'd like to get him out of Colorado's thin air.

I'd also roll the dice on Scott Feldman. And I'd be interested to see what Chris Young is like a year after his anterior capsule tear, ala Johan Santana.
    why not santana , if we can get him for opium (other peoples money) if the mets were willing to pick up 67-70% of his contract why not trade for johan and his 2 time sore arm? then bring back loco liriano , with santan and cuellar here to help frankie , he might finally put together another quality season...yes i know we are tired of him , but does any one really expect curly to sign any one better?

personally the most we can hope for is the KEVINS slowey and correia, and maybe a signing of moyer or pavano ....
    as st pete and ryan do not want to lose there bonuses for slashing payroll, i wonder how much they pocketed for dropping payroll 18.4 million last year?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People around here need to accept that the Twins aren't going to hand out 3 large multi year deals to 3 separate starting pitchers this offseason. While I expect them to go out and get at least one decent splash, the Twins are going to still have to go out to the bargain basement to get some help.

That said, I dont' get the consternation with Bedard. He's the perfect candidate for a cheap deal like this, and of all of the garbage bin options, he's the one most likely to pan out. His peripherals were very good, and he actually had a pretty decent first half of the season before falling apart... even if he replicates that, he just allowed us to limit Gibson's innings at worst. If he does really well, you have some trade fodder at the deadline if we are sellers.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Pavano, Liriano, and Slowey.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    back after my 2nd suspention for bad mouthing the complete ineptness of twins management ,even if its by unpoplular demand
    what happened to the 1st amendment ? freedom of speech, what happened to independent of the twins llc?
    When you're given time away, it is a wise idea to not return from said time away bad mouthing those who gave you the time away. The first amendment has nothing to do with a public internet forum. Those running the forum have every right to ban, suspend, etc. any user that violates the terms of service. Perhaps a refresher on those terms would be best before spouting off against those who do such a great job running this site.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    When you're given time away, it is a wise idea to not return from said time away bad mouthing those who gave you the time away. The first amendment has nothing to do with a public internet forum. Those running the forum have every right to ban, suspend, etc. any user that violates the terms of service. Perhaps a refresher on those terms would be best before spouting off against those who do such a great job running this site.
    and what did they have for breakfest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast