Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Span for Asdrubal Cabrera Straight Up???

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts

Span for Asdrubal Cabrera Straight Up???

The Indians need a CF and we need a shortstop. I know that we need pitching and many Twins Daily members want Span to bring back a big leaguer. But this deal would be great for us. Cabrera makes 6.5 this year and 10 mil in '14. A solid bat at SS with gold glove defense...This would be a hard deal for TR and company to turn down. What do you think?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    And then we have no way to bring in pitching. Misuse of a scarce resource - Span is one of the few chips we have to solve this mess.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Why on earth do they need span, they have Brantley already?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    And then we have no way to bring in pitching. Misuse of a scarce resource - Span is one of the few chips we have to solve this mess.
    Exactly. Use Span, Morny and the Hammer to bring in pitching. Sign FA position players if we feel the need to fill a hole.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read the story where this was initially suggested (though I can't find it now). It suggested Span for Cabrera but also mentioned that it would take others to make it work. Does that mean the Twins would need to include more? (My thought was "yes".) And I didn't think it would be worth it.

It was an interesting suggestion though.

Liked 2,182 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A much better pick up than Escobar or Drew... I will give you that... In a different situation... Cabrera would be a great get... But... Any offensive signing will be poured down the toilet if we don't have any pitching. We'd be better off trading for Lindor. Lindor wouldn't take away from a limited budget this year and will contribute to the overall good of the club with an improved pitching staff(hopefully) by the time he arrives. However, I doubt Cleveland would trade Lindor.

I apologize to all for stating my thoughts over and over again like a broken record... No doubt I've made my point a hundred times. My fingers are getting hoarse from this viewpoint of mine. I wish I could come up with a fresh perspective for you all to read.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Worst pitching staff EVAR if they don't go get three guys not currently on the roster....and people want to trade their few assets for hitting? How would you go fix the pitching, if you deal Span for a SS? And at that price, he's only worth having if they are winning games.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    This trade makes zero sense for the Indians. Case closed. They already have a young cheap center fielder, and they aren't going to trade an above average player at a premium position so they have two center fielders - one of which they would have to move away from a premium position. It makes about as much sense as trying to trade Morneau to the Tigers.