Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Who might be the Joe Benson of 2013?

Who might be the Joe Benson of 2013?

The prospect with high expectations who had a horrible season. Nothing went right for Benson last year. Might something similar happen to Arcia, or Hicks? Perhaps one of the Rookie league players has difficulty adjusting to a full season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh man i sure hope something similar doesnt happen to Arcia or Hicks...

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It might be Benson.

I'm going to go with Berrios. Second place is Arcia. Third is Sano.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    It might be Benson.

I'm going to go with Berrios. Second place is Arcia. Third is Sano.
    Beson will probably do only slight better than last year (Gut feeling). I remember Keith Law saying he isnt a big fan of Berrios due to the fact he thinks his stuff wont get any better and eventually hitters will catch up.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    The prospect with high expectations who had a horrible season. Nothing went right for Benson last year. Might something similar happen to Arcia, or Hicks? Perhaps one of the Rookie league players has difficulty adjusting to a full season.
    Anthony Slama.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Anthony Slama.
    I wouldnt refer to Slama as a prospect anymore. I dont think anyone should have high expectations for him anymore either. Seems like he is and always be just a good minor league pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Today, I feel like my glass is half full and optimism flows through my veins. My gut tells me all of our top prospects will progress, the worse case scenario is no progress, but no regression. I will say this - it would be awful if Kyle Gibson is 2013's Joe Benson. That would not only be a crowbar to the rib cage - it would also be a stake through the heart, destroying the hopes of having a pitching prospect that can help in the present time or near future.

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Anthony Slama.
    I wouldnt refer to Slama as a prospect anymore. I dont think anyone should have high expectations for him anymore either. Seems like he is and always be just a good minor league pitcher.
    seriously? how would one really know? i hope the twins trade him or release him if they don't give him a real shot to see. as for projecting who might have the luck of benson's 2012.......... i won't even go there. i can't think in those terms, i won't think in those terms - to close to "a self fulfilling prophecy" / a wish for misfortune.
    Last edited by h2oface; 11-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Pretty sure that Rosario is too good to be true. It would only make sense that he suffer an even further setback than the ball to the eye.

Blog Entries
    Anthony Slama.
    A fine line between trying for a quick joke and trolling. Maybe I eradicated that line, this time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anthony Slama.
    A fine line between trying for a quick joke and trolling. Maybe I eradicated that line, this time.
    I wasnt kidding and im not a troll. Its reality. Slama is just a good minor league pitcher at best.

Liked 686 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am too superstitious to name anyone in this thread.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Every player gets injured at some time. I would hope every player thinks they should be at a higher level than what they are currently playing at. I hope every player is that competitive. Joe Benson is a reflection of the big league pitching staff. Everything that could go wrong did. I hope no prospect has to go through that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could we be a little more pessimistic? Are we really trying to predict who will have a crappy season next year? Damn the Twins need to do something soon so we have something to talk about.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    FREE SLAMA!!!

Go Sioux

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Could we be a little more pessimistic? Are we really trying to predict who will have a crappy season next year? Damn the Twins need to do something soon so we have something to talk about.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 185 Times in 113 Posts
    Well, Benson's main problem (besides injuries) is that he didn't have great plate discipline and that caught up with him when he went above AA. And he had actually repeated AA to get used to that. So, how about Goodrum? Struck out a lot in rookie ball, although he did walk a lot, too. Might have trouble in A ball.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    I think this thread makes a great point that needs to be interjected into most all the threads and posts here. That is, that very few prospects, even highly rated ones, make it to the big leagues much less turn into stars. I haven't done the exact math but approximately, for every 10 minor leaguers only 1 makes it to the big leagues. Or another way to put it is that if you think you have several great prospects (ie the Twins minor league outfielders) the odds would dictate that maybe one or two at the most end up really being a good MLB caliber player. So, when people post plans that include every prospect making the big leagues, they are dreaming.

Blog Entries
    I was joking in the first place - "Free Anthony Slama" is a constant refrain here - and your response was in line with my actual thinking as well, leading me to think *I* was coming across as trolling for serious responses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    I think this thread makes a great point that needs to be interjected into most all the threads and posts here. That is, that very few prospects, even highly rated ones, make it to the big leagues much less turn into stars.
    As further evidence, take a look at any baseball-reference.com's list of, say, second or third round draft picks from around a decade ago - long enough ago to be pretty sure who's ever going to make it to the majors. Even the bottom half of the first round is sobering to look at in retrospect. Pretty slim pickings most years - lots of cups of coffee, a few solid role-players, not lots of cumulative WAR.