Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Blue Jays Sign Melky Cabrera

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Blue Jays Sign Melky Cabrera

    According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1094--mlb.html

    Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,974
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Holy crap. Those Canadians aren't ****ing around.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,605
    Like
    251
    Liked 186 Times in 114 Posts
    Drugs laws are more lax in Canada?

  4. #4
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,606
    Like
    1,115
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Good for their fans. The Yankees are aging, Boston is down.....good time to strike.

  5. #5
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    843
    Liked 1,177 Times in 625 Posts
    I'm getting pummelled over this by my Blue Jay "friends", c'mon TR, throw me a bone.

    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 11-16-2012 at 02:48 PM.

  6. #6
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,974
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Good for their fans. The Yankees are aging, Boston is down.....good time to strike.
    Yeah, it really is a good time to strike. Yankees are getting old. Boston looted their team at the deadline. Baltimore was absurdly lucky. Tampa continues to lose players to free agency. It's rare to get this kind of a window in that division. All four of their division rivals could be significantly worse in 2013 than they were in 2012.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1094--mlb.html

    Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.
    I wouldn't touch him...and I respect the Giants for how they handled the whole situation

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1094--mlb.html

    Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.
    I wouldn't touch him...and I respect the Giants for how they handled the whole situation
    i never said we should touch him. High risk/reward move. Good for Toronto fans though.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    176
    Like
    4
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    I think that a 2 year, $16M contract would have been worth a flyer on him, except that the teams cup runneth over with OF's. Good move for both Toronto and Cabrera.

  10. #10
    Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!
    what?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twins signed Beresford for minor league depth. Not to start in the Major Leagues........

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,974
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!
    One of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

    The other signed a $16.00 contract.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by brock beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    let's see - melky cabrera vs james beresford - - - - . . . The twins picked beresford - surprising . . . Not!
    one of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

    The other signed a $16.00 contract.
    exactly.

  14. #14
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,551
    Like
    2,570
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!
    One of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.
    Keep in mind, those are Canadian dollars. $1CDN = $0.99US. Or maybe the other way around.

  15. #15
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    I just don't see these moves really working out for the Blue Jays; but we'll see.

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,662
    Like
    4,695
    Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    The Blue Jays will test the Bad Boy discussion on the other thread. Rasmus... Cabrera... Reyes... If only they would have kept Escobar...

    Serious question... How much depth are they piling up. Cabrera... Rasmus... Bautista... They have Bonofacio who can play anywhere but anywhere is covered by Johnson, Reyes and Lawrie. Davis and Gose and Izturis. Buck and Arencebia and D'Arnaud behind the plate. More trades coming and I suspect for pitching. They could be a monkey wrench for the Twins making a deal. Yikes.

  17. #17
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,482
    Like
    3,481
    Liked 2,995 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Agree with you, Riverbrian, on the Jays not being done trading. I see one of the catchers being the first to go.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,270
    Like
    32
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Before signing Melky they had Lind slotted as their DH so this fills a pretty big hole on the team. Johnson is a FA so this gives them Emilio and Izturis at 2B. They also have a potentially loaded lineup with Bautista, E6, Melky, Reyes and Lawrie. Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio/Izturis and their catcher could be better than they were last year also. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasmus was going somewhere though.

    I'm not sure they need pitchers either with Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow and Romero. Perhaps they sign a RP'er but I think they are close to done.

    I think 2/16 is a great deal for Melky and if the Twins weren't overflowing with OF'ers I would have recommended it for them. tbh I'm surprised that the Reds/Braves/Rays weren't in on this.

    The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,662
    Like
    4,695
    Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Before signing Melky they had Lind slotted as their DH so this fills a pretty big hole on the team. Johnson is a FA so this gives them Emilio and Izturis at 2B. They also have a potentially loaded lineup with Bautista, E6, Melky, Reyes and Lawrie. Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio/Izturis and their catcher could be better than they were last year also. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasmus was going somewhere though.

    I'm not sure they need pitchers either with Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow and Romero. Perhaps they sign a RP'er but I think they are close to done.

    I think 2/16 is a great deal for Melky and if the Twins weren't overflowing with OF'ers I would have recommended it for them. tbh I'm surprised that the Reds/Braves/Rays weren't in on this.

    The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.
    (Shakes head) I was with ya until the end... lol.

  20. #20
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,206
    Like
    362
    Liked 736 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Given the roids and what not, I'm surprised he got that... wonder if there's an out clause...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.