Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law and his thoughts on Kyle Gibson PART DEUX

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keith Law and his thoughts on Kyle Gibson PART DEUX

Here is a piece from KLAWs Chat today.

At what point in 2013 do you think it is reasonable for Kyle Gibson to be in the Twins rotation?
    Klaw (1:35 PM)

As soon as he's built up the durability. Stuff is ready now.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely correct.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just gets me all giddy with excitement

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Encouraging. Then again, the standard for stuff being ready enough now to warrant consideration for a spot in the Twins rotation is... well... not high.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Encouraging. Then again, the standard for stuff being ready enough now to warrant consideration for a spot in the Twins rotation is... well... not high.
    Now youre just being A DEBBIE DOWNER. Keith Law obviously thinks Gibsons Stuff is Major Leaugue ready...not just twins ready.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now all the front office needs to do is uncover a breakthrough in cloning technology.

Blog Entries
    Well then maybe the questioner should have specifically asked Keith when he thought Gibson would be "Major League ready" instead of when it would be reasonable to expect him to be in the Twins rotation!

Seriously, though... I wonder about the "built up durability" thing and what he means by that. I'm not even sure how one goes about building up durability. Stamina? sure. It could be that he's referring to the choice the Twins will have to make about just how they decide to utilize Gibson's ~150 innings. I'm certainly curious to find out the answer to that myself.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Now all the front office needs to do is uncover a breakthrough in cloning technology.
    While I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch, I'm not entirely sure having 5 Gibson's gives the Twins a top 15 rotation. Now if we make sure to snag Verlander's sweaty jock out of the visitors locker room to throw in our cloning machine.....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Well then maybe the questioner should have specifically asked Keith when he thought Gibson would be "Major League ready" instead of when it would be reasonable to expect him to be in the Twins rotation!

Seriously, though... I wonder about the "built up durability" thing and what he means by that. I'm not even sure how one goes about building up durability. Stamina? sure. It could be that he's referring to the choice the Twins will have to make about just how they decide to utilize Gibson's ~150 innings. I'm certainly curious to find out the answer to that myself.
    i figured that it was bulding up his Stamina, which isnt easy to do. Have the Twins come out and said how many innings they plan on giving Gibson this year?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 73 Posts
    I don't think it's being a debbie downer to expect a player to prove something before going all lady gaga over them.

My hope is he gives us a nice Brad Radke type career. However it wouldn't surprise me if he fizzles out.

You still have to prove it on the field!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Blog Entries
    I thought I read somewhere that they were looking at about 150 innings out of him, but I don't remember where that came from. There's not a lot of point in trying to push him much higher than that. I just would hope they'd be smarter about how the ration out his limited innings than the Nationals were with their guy this year.

I also agree with Winston that enthusiasm should be tempered until we see results on a Big League field. I've had big hopes for Liam Hendriks, too, and those have certainly not yet been realized (though I haven't totally given up on him yet).

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm slotting him in at #2 Opening day for the time being... I'll buy a Gibson jersey in full support.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Late May...early June...should be the goal. That could take him thru the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    "...built up his durability." Isn't that true for all starting pitchers?--and isn't that what training and Spring Training Camp are designed to accomplish? If Gibson's stuff is "ready"--start him. Many 1st timers stumble,--so what he has "three options" to the minors so there should be no problem. How many innings to pitch this year? I can't say, but he could be shut down if that was deemed the right course of action--it is incredible to think the Twins will be leading the AL in Wins like the Nationals led the NL this past season.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I fully expect Gibson to be in the opening day rotation. He'll be solid as long as his healthy. That's the only question mark in my mind. I also expect Wimmers to rebound. That would be huge, as we would at least have three solid starters.

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, I'd giddy that they had a minor breakthrough in how to get their guys through a Tommy John recovery in any kind of expedient fashion. FWIW, Gibson seems to be light-years (or at least light-months) ahead of where Liriano was when he went through it a couple of years ago.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Actually, I'd giddy that they had a minor breakthrough in how to get their guys through a Tommy John recovery in any kind of expedient fashion. FWIW, Gibson seems to be light-years (or at least light-months) ahead of where Liriano was when he went through it a couple of years ago.
    Based on?? Gibson predictably didn't exactly pitch well in the AFL...5.40 ERA, I believe. Most encouraging is his velocity and his OK control. Obviously I think he'll be just fine.

AFL was encouraging... not because he produced a dominating stat line, but because he got some work in, and will help accelerate his path to recovery. If Gibson is healthy enough for a rotation spot out of spring training that would really improve this rotation that has nobody owning a spot. (Diamond is the only guy on this roster i'd put money on being in the rotation right now)

I'd slot him in as the 5th starter if possible and push his turn back when possible. This would limit innings.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since the Twins are unlikely to contend next year, I would hope that they start him in Rochester where there is a lot less pressure. If he can perform there, then maybe Deduno gets sent down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast