Thread: The Walking Dead

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts

The Walking Dead

Back from the dead puns aside......this show has dramatically improved. If you dropped it after the stale second season, pick it back up. It's worth it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    I didn't drop it, but I was awfully tempted to 2/3rd of the way through season two. Thankfully season three has picked up where the last couple episodes of two left off.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Yup, agreed. I was a reader of the graphic novels so dropping wasn't something I was considering, but good god Sophia made it painful to endure for awhile there. This season has sound writing and action - it's been a breath of fresh air from that nonsense on the farm.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    I fear they won't end up making the governor as bad ass as he should be.

Thank God they killed Laurie though, Christ she was a beat down. What will they do about the baby? I can't exactly see them killing off a baby on the show, yet having a baby while you are being attacked by zombies and other folks isn't exactly a realistic expectation. Perhaps they end up leaving the baby with someone or something?

I found it comical that the second they killed off T-Dogg (who really was under utilized) they had a new token black guy enter the group more or less.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 769 Times in 422 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have to keep the Token Black number at one no matter what. I mean, the show takes place in Georgia. There aren't many black people there at all.

I was so freakin' relieved that they killed the wife. I was scared that they were going to shy away from following the comic in that regard and the idea of that character being with the show for several more seasons is enough to make me stop watching.

BTW, anyone here keeping up with the comic? The storyline right around #100 brings the comic back to its roots and it's getting good again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Have to keep the Token Black number at one no matter what. I mean, the show takes place in Georgia. There aren't many black people there at all.

I was so freakin' relieved that they killed the wife. I was scared that they were going to shy away from following the comic in that regard and the idea of that character being with the show for several more seasons is enough to make me stop watching.

BTW, anyone here keeping up with the comic? The storyline right around #100 brings the comic back to its roots and it's getting good again.
    #100 pissed me off royally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    #100 pissed me off royally.
    I was shocked that Kirkman went back to the well and re-instituted the "no one is safe" rule. I didn't necessarily like what happened but I appreciate that he was willing to off some major characters in the book again.

Part of me wishes they would just kill off the rest of the group (sans Carl) then go into the future 5-10 years and focus on him.

Blog Entries
    Part of me wishes they would just kill off the rest of the group (sans Carl) then go into the future 5-10 years and focus on him.
    At some point, Rick is going to have to go. I don't know if it will mean the end of the series but the guy has been up and down too many times. At some point, he's going to jump the shark with his behavior and turn into a caricature of his former self. I don't think that point is too far off, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    At some point, Rick is going to have to go. I don't know if it will mean the end of the series but the guy has been up and down too many times. At some point, he's going to jump the shark with his behavior and turn into a caricature of his former self. I don't think that point is too far off, either.
    Not to continue to bitch, because the comic has done a great job overall, but I am not a fan of Neagen, he is so ****ing over the top its unbelievable and they will never be able to match the Governor as the big bad. The only thing that could come close is if Carl ends up becoming a cold calculating pyschopath.

I think early on Kirkman said this was the story of Rick and the series would die when he did. Recently I'm pretty sure he changed his tune and insinuated that he's realized this is really the story of Carl, not Rick. Which is interesting.

So far everyone they have killed or introduced has been spot-on. The Governor can't be a comic book character to make this worthy of watching. They've taken his twisted side, made it realistic, and done a damn good job doing it. The logic behind the zombie games was a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So far everyone they have killed or introduced has been spot-on. The Governor can't be a comic book character to make this worthy of watching. They've taken his twisted side, made it realistic, and done a damn good job doing it. The logic behind the zombie games was a good example.
    I think you are giving the show a bit to much credit, there is still plenty of eye rolling moments that occur, Michonne is a bad ass, but I feel they are really limiting her quite a bit. In the comics she is arguably the best character, through her entire time in them, in this she is the weird chick who is a killing machine but has zero social skills and is paranoid. I think they have really ****ed up her character.

The governor should have been Danny Trejo, end of story.

Blog Entries
    I think you are giving the show a bit to much credit, there is still plenty of eye rolling moments that occur, Michonne is a bad ass, but I feel they are really limiting her quite a bit. In the comics she is arguably the best character, through her entire time in them, in this she is the weird chick who is a killing machine but has zero social skills and is paranoid. I think they have really ****ed up her character.

Agreed on Danny Trejo. I always pictured the Governor as him in the comic. Funny that you mention him specifically.

It's still early with Michonne. I'm willing to give her a few more episodes to see how the character develops. I also agree that she's probably the best character in the book.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    This is one of my favorite shows on TV. I love the direction they have gone this season. The drama of having the humans being as dangerous to one another as the zombies is a great twist.

I am excited to see what the rest of the season will bring. I usually finish each episode with my jaw on the ground.

There are plenty of eye rolling moments, but not the ones you listed. Andrea's characterization this season has been awful. They still are character building more post-death than pre-death. But I don't agree with your complaints. Go back and read the comic - Michonne was a brooding isolationist there as well. Especially if you exclude Tyreese. And that wasn't even in Woodbury where she has reason to be mistrustful. So you're way off base there.

As for the Governor, the comic version was never going to work on TV. What they're doing to tweak him to make him plausible in a non-cartoonish way has been really good so far. As Heath Ledger and a few others have taught us - sometimes the best comic book character isn't the outlandish version you see in print, but the monster you make real. We'll see if they can do that here, but the foundation has been well built so far.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think early on Kirkman said this was the story of Rick and the series would die when he did. Recently I'm pretty sure he changed his tune and insinuated that he's realized this is really the story of Carl, not Rick. Which is interesting.
    I must be missing something. I have watched every episode and was sure that this was really the story of Maggie.

I'm not sure what your post is saying glunn, but I thank you for the reminder that Lauren Cohan is friggin gorgeous.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what your post is saying glunn, but I thank you for the reminder that Lauren Cohan is friggin gorgeous.
    I think you got the gist of my message, and you are welcome. This is an area where we are in complete agreement.