Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays need a left handed hitting power bat at 1B. We have 2 of them.

Blue Jays need a left handed hitting power bat at 1B. We have 2 of them.

What could we reasonably get back from them?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
    What could we reasonably get back from them?
    When I saw today's trade the first thing I though of is: Could the Blue Jays have done that trade thinking maybe it could trade Johnson to us for Morneau (as the main pieces, not one for one)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see much else for the Jays to give us outside of Johnson, although I haven't done much research in who they might send to us.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    I don't see much else for the Jays to give us outside of Johnson, although I haven't done much research in who they might send to us.

yeah I dont see much else besides Johnson either. Its highly unlikely they would trade Johnson away now. Im pretty sure the Blue Jays are all in on this season.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,523 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ryan should be on the phone with the Jays to see if they're willing to work a deal that sends Morneau to Toronto for Mark Buerhle. Buerhle's contract is more palatable if it includes removing the $14m Morneau is owed in 2013. The Twins would have to send over more than Justin to make it happen but I think it's an idea worth pursuing. The Jays can't be all that excited about the $50m+ Buerhle is owed over the next three years.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ryan should be on the phone with the Jays to see if they're willing to work a deal that sends Morneau to Toronto for Mark Buerhle. Buerhle's contract is more palatable if it includes removing the $14m Morneau is owed in 2013. The Twins would have to send over more than Justin to make it happen but I think it's an idea worth pursuing. The Jays can't be all that excited about the $50m+ Buerhle is owed over the next three years.
    Do you think the Twins are really interested to get Buerhle and his big contract? I dont think they really are.

Johnson > Buerhle

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Terry Ryan was interested in Buerhle, for the right deal. Reports are that he had talked to the Marlins about multiple players. There are really only 4 likely players there....Reyes, Johnson, Nolasco, & Beurhle. I'd bet he asked about them all. I'd probably trade Morneau for Buerhle.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    johnson > buerhle
    no sh**

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Johnson > Buerhle
    Well, duh. But considering how Toronto only has Johnson for one season, I doubt they're willing to part with him for anything less than a king's ransom.

Buerhle and his considerable contract may be a different matter entirely.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Do you think the Twins are really interested to get Buerhle and his big contract? I dont think they really are.
    They're going to have to spend money on somebody or they're going to end up with nobody. I don't like Buerhle's contract (hate it, actually) but if you can move Morneau's $14m in trade for it, that's a deal you need to consider.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    They're going to have to spend money on somebody or they're going to end up with nobody. I don't like Buerhle's contract (hate it, actually) but if you can move Morneau's $14m in trade for it, that's a deal you need to consider.
    I agree. And as much as I'd rather have Josh Johnson, I just don't think one year from him is going to make that big a difference.

And on top that, if anyone is going to age well, it's probably Buerhle. The guy shows no signs of slowing down.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly, its something they should consider...but right now they should be considering just about everything. I would hate to see Morneau go, hes been my favorite player since he was in the minor leagues, but anything to make this team better.

Liked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    I wonder if they could work something out to send Morneau and get Hechevarria back since the Jays should be set in the middle infield with Lawrie/ Reyes and 3rd with EE.

Either pitcher would be great. If it was Buehrle, the Jays immediately sign Johnson to an extension. If the Twins could trade for Johnson, then resign him for an extension. You immediately save money. I actually think Morneau would find a new great home in Toronto.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Kelly Johnson is far more likely than Josh Johnson.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Either pitcher would be great. If it was Buehrle, the Jays immediately sign Johnson to an extension. If the Twins could trade for Johnson, then resign him for an extension. You immediately save money. I actually think Morneau would find a new great home in Toronto.
    It sure as heck would be nice to get Johnson. Im sure the Blue Jays might be exploring a trade of Buerhle, which if they did youre right they would probably immediately sign Johnson to an extension. Seeing as Morneau is from Canada im sure he wouldnt be upset at all getting traded to the Blue Jays.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Kelly Johnson is far more likely than Josh Johnson.
    Im not going to argue with you on that one. He has some decent pop although he is kind of a bad fielder but he is still better than anything we have right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't see how Toronto would trade Johnson for Morneau. It has been stated that Johnson, when healthy, is A list. A top level pitcher is worth more than what Morneau can bring. And, I see Morneau rebounding next year and putting up great numbers but that still does not equate to a true ace pitcher. I love Buerhle and even though his contract is heavy to have him would be great. Johnson will be very expensive after '13.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Why would they a LHB 1B when their RHs are hitting the cover off of the ball? Instead of adding Morneau (whose hittng statistics are overwhelmed by Encarnacion's) they could apply the same $14MM to pitching. To me this thread is a null set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast