Thread: Scott Baker Signs with Chicago Cubs

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylager View Post
    There's a reason why the Cubs remain "the Cubs". Good luck to Scott Baker.
    Theo Epstein is very likely smarter than anyone we have in our upper management...I have little doubt he'll turn that mess around
    He did sign Lackey and Crawford ....
    Yup, and he put together two W Series champions as well...in a town that hadn't had one in how many years? Crawford wasn't forseeable...anyone who says he saw that coming is a straight up liar.

Now name all the good signings...and drafts...like Pedroia, for example. How many times did the Twins pass on Pedroia again? 6 times?
    He spent a lot of money and had a great manager. Not saying he didn't do a good job, but he isn't some sort of wizard. I've held on to my doubts about him turning the Cubs around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Shocking, next verse same as the first i guess. Whoever thought the glut of mid-teir pitching was going to cause the free agent pitching market to produce a bunch of bargains is wrong for the 20th straight year. Like it or not, if the Twins want to sign a pitcher with any history of accomplishment, they will likely still have to pay top dollar, just as required every year.

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Theo Epstein is very likely smarter than anyone we have in our upper management...I have little doubt he'll turn that mess around
    He also signed David Ortiz and Curt Schilling...and then he won two World Series titles before his 34th birthday. Ryan has one playoff series win in more years on the job than Epstein and will turn 60 next year. Yes, Epstein had more payroll at his disposal than Ryan, but he also competed in the toughest division in baseball. I know which one I'd take first in a GM expansion draft.

I thought we had him locked up for 3 years. Which post is right?!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of money. It almost make Sanchez look good at 6 years for $90. Now it looks like he will get than. TR looks like he has to make some signings early to make this happen and it will be more money than expected. Such is life.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 178 Times in 102 Posts
    This blows, 5.5 isn't a ton of money on a one year deal, if he even pitches like the scott baker of old for 3/5ths of the season its a steal for the Cubs.

I wish him the best of luck, filling the rotation just got that much harder seeing how anyone we can get for 5.5 mil on the open market is going to be more of the dog**** like Hernandez, Ortiz etc
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-13-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    He spent a lot of money and had a great manager. Not saying he didn't do a good job, but he isn't some sort of wizard. I've held on to my doubts about him turning the Cubs around.
    Rubbish. He competed in a division where you win 95 games and cross your fingers for a wildcard berth, and won his second World Series at age 33.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    He also signed David Ortiz and Curt Schilling...and then he won two World Series titles before his 34th birthday. Ryan has one playoff series win in more years on the job than Epstein and will turn 60 next year. Yes, Epstein had more payroll at his disposal than Ryan, but he also competed in the toughest division in baseball. I know which one I'd take first in a GM expansion draft.
    Exactly...and it's not like the Cubs have been notorious penny pushers. The did cut payroll last year, but I doubt they continue to cut a bunch. I stand by my statement he's smarter than the people we have running our ship.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rubbish. He competed in a division where you win 95 games and cross your fingers for a wildcard berth, and won his second World Series at age 33.

I don't care how good he is. It's still the Cubs. You pretty much have to be a wizard to make that team decent

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    No surprise. And the chorus begins in justification of the twins not signing him. That chorus will be repeated player after player. To sign a legit free agent, you need to overpay.

Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    The disappointing part of this is that I now can't even imagine what FA we are going to sign. Blanton and Correia may be wishful thinking at this point. It'll be Chad Gaudin and Mike Morgan.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only team he was competing with for the successful part of his tenure was the Yankees who won it 9 straight years: 98-06. The rest of the division was really pathetic and easy wins for them. Then there is the random playoff winner/World Series that follows.

For that money, the Cubs can have him. Everyone seems to forget that the first year after TJ surgery, most mortals (Strasburg not included) struggle. The Cubs overpaid and with no option (if that is truely the case) than this is a great deal for Baker and a terrible deal for the Cubs. Even though I wanted Baker back, not at this price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I don't care how good he is. It's still the Cubs. You pretty much have to be a wizard to make that team decent
    Score so far: Epstein 1, franchise curses 0. The Cubs are a tougher rebuild project than the Sox were in 2002, and nobody is saying Theo hasn't made some bad calls. What GM hasn't? But I wouldn't bet against a GM as highly regarded as Epstein.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    It's Epstein not Einstein, and don't forget the bottomless pit of cash factor.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The only team he was competing with for the successful part of his tenure was the Yankees who won it 9 straight years: 98-06. The rest of the division was really pathetic and easy wins for them. Then there is the random playoff winner/World Series that follows.
    Toronto won at least 80 games in 7 of those 9 seasons...had a winning record in 6 of those 9. And TB went to the playoffs three times in his last 4 seasons as Boston's GM, and they won 84 games the other year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think this is a pretty good gamble for the Cubs. I thought the Twins might pick him up for less guaranteed but demand for pitching habitually outstrips supply. It is a seller's market.

Blog Entries

Actually that's two "random" World Series wins in his first five seasons as GM, sunshine. Maybe the Twins can find a lucky GM like that too someday. And if you think the AL East was a cakewalk during his best seasons, I think you're in the minority.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Cubs can afford to make this gamble, the Twins can't. Its just as simple as that, if the Twins spend $5.5 and has problems and pitches less then 50 innings it has a much larger impact on the Twins then it does on the Cubs. The Cubs need pitching and have the money to gamble on guys like Baker, the Twins don't have that luxury. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs traded him if he is having a decent season when the deadline happens.

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Two things:

(1) Lewis was already under team control when he sided his contract. Without competing against the free market, the Rangers were able to secure a discount.
    (2) Lewis had TJ in July while Baker had it in April. I would say Baker has a much better chance of providing innings in 2012 than Lewis.
    I don't know if it was Tommy John, but you're right - Baker will likely be healthier. Either way, I don't see the point of a deal like this if there isn't an option year. I can't believe a team is going to get more than half a good year out of him in his first year back from TJ.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast