Thread: Article: Pickin' Berrios

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Pickin' Berrios

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope his days in rookie ball are behind him. He has nothing left to prove. Either start him in Cedar Rapids or maybe extended spring training and he can join the Kernals in May or June(this would keep his innings down for his 1st full season of pro ball). If he dominates the midwest league he could be put on the fast track in 2014 and have the chance to play at a couple levels.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Hopefully they have him break in the organization's new Midwest League affiliate. Still, the Twins MO is to keep high school drafted players at low A for an entire season with nearly no exceptions, so I doubt he gets to Ft. Myers even if he pitches flawlessly.

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see no reason not to move him up to Ft. Meyers is he does well at Cedar Rapids.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They won't (And shouldn't) want him to get more than about 120 innings next year. My assumption is he'll go to Extended Spring Training for 6 weeks or so to help do just that. The other option is to have him pitch out of the bullpen for the first half of the season and then start during the second half.

Bring 'em north!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would like to see him start in Cedar Rapids and move up to Ft. Myers if he pitches well in the Midwest league. Need to move these arms up as fast as they can take it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    Bring 'em north!
    Hopefully we will see Berrios for the ML club in 2014 after dominating AA ball, that is, if he can get to A+ this season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I see no reason not to move him up to Ft. Meyers is he does well at Cedar Rapids.
    Thats assuming the Twins let him pitch in Cedar Rapids to start the year, otherwise he wont have time to get to Ft. Myers

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    They won't (And shouldn't) want him to get more than about 120 innings next year. My assumption is he'll go to Extended Spring Training for 6 weeks or so to help do just that. The other option is to have him pitch out of the bullpen for the first half of the season and then start during the second half.
    I could def see the ORG starting him in ELZ after the draft and having him start games but keeping him on a pitch and/or innings limit. Once short season is over, they will probably let him go to Cedar Rapids for a few more appearances. Starter or reliever there, I dont know.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Why? other than being conservative with his healthy 19 year old arm, why?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why? other than being conservative with his healthy 19 year old arm, why?
    That would be the reason. He's long and lanky. He's not built like Felix Hernandez. It's wise to be patient. Also, reports from Instructs said he really struggled and tired. Not unusual at all.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he is in the Majors in 2014, he'll be 21 years old. I am excited about what he did last year too, but I think that is pushing it a lot. If he is in AA by 2014, I'll be more than happy with that.

I'd be very surprised if he made it to Ft. Myers in 2013. There just isn't a reason to push him that quickly. The only way it happens is if he is so completely dominant that they can't hold him back any longer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, for what it's worth, Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus says he pitches with serious #rig.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
    0.1% chance he is in the majors in 2014. If he is then he's also getting consideration of being a top 10 overall prospect.

The early reports were that he was quite polished for a HS'er so it wasn't surprising that he did well in rk ball. I completely expect him to be in Cedar Rapids by June if not at the beginning of the season. I understand that it's the cool thing to do on here but it's tough to promote aggessively in the low minors when you only have mediocre prospects.

Jose stayed in my home while in Elizabethton. He is polite and easy to get along with. He doesn't eat shrimp and he really likes cookie and cream ice cream. (two very important things for a host mom to know!) Good luck Jose!! You will go far.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madre Dos View Post
    Jose stayed in my home while in Elizabethton. He is polite and easy to get along with. He doesn't eat shrimp and he really likes cookie and cream ice cream. (two very important things for a host mom to know!) Good luck Jose!! You will go far.
    Cool inside information about our best pitching prospect! Thank you for sharing! Do you know if Jose is coming back to live with you next summer?

Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Cool inside information about our best pitching prospect! Thank you for sharing! Do you know if Jose is coming back to live with you next summer?
    I don't know. I'm going to spring training in March ( i still have about 30 "baseball sons" in the organization). I try to get all of them out to dinner. We have to work around English lessons! I usually have a list of 13 or so that want to stay here if they come to Elizabethton. I find out about 4 or 5 days before they get on the bus in fort myers who is going to be here.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    I don't know. I'm going to spring training in March ( i still have about 30 "baseball sons" in the organization). I try to get all of them out to dinner. We have to work around English lessons! I usually have a list of 13 or so that want to stay here if they come to Elizabethton. I find out about 4 or 5 days before they get on the bus in fort myers who is going to be here.
    gracias querida dios te bendiga

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very nice! I dont mean to be rude, but I am hoping Berrios gets to skip rookie ball in Elizabethton this year. But if he does end up there I hope he gets to have some ice cream with yall!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast